Classic california coast

cruisegrancruise

we are sailing in october on star princess flying from edinburgh staying 3 nights in los angeles before 7 night cruise on star princess can anyone give us tips on best trips we would like to see as much as possible as it is probably our once in a lifetime trip to this area we normally just walk of the ship and do our own thing but not sure if that is an option here or not do you recommend the hop on hop of bus in california would you wait for mexico for the beach etc

Not sure what your interests are, but in San Diego, Monterey and San Francisco you can see a lot within walking distance of the ship.

In San Diego there is the Midway Aircraft carrier museum right next door to where the ship docks. There are some other, older ships immediately north. There is a trolley not too far from the pier that will take you to Old Town San Diego. The zoo in Balboa Park is almost 3 miles on way. That might be too far to walk for you, but I'm pretty sure there is public transportation.

In San Francisco you usually dock at Pier 27. The touristy area of Pier 39 is less than a mile. A little further on is the Maritime Museum and Ghiardelli Square. Coit Tower is less than 1/2 mile and the Ferry Building is about the same in the other direction. The tours for Alcatraz Island leave from Pier 33, more or less next door to the ship. If you want to go further out, say to the Golden Gate Bridge, you'll definitely need transportation.

I haven't been to Monterey in awhile, but as I recall the Aquarium is right down on Cannery Row which has lots of restaurants and shops.

If you want to go to the beach for swimming the beaches in Southern California are really good and there are lots of them, but I think you will probably need transportation of some kind. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any within walking distance from the port in Los Angeles. There are beaches in Monterey but are a bit of a hike from downtown. Again, I'm sure there are buses.

I really don't want to recommend the Hop-On Hop-Offs one way or another. They can be useful, but again, it really depends on what you want to do/see. For instance, as stated, in San Francisco there is tons to do withing in walking distance, but the bridge and the Presidio are too far to walk comfortably. I will say, if it were me, and it was my first time to the City by the Bay, I would definitely want to get out to the bridge. The views are amazing. In lieu of that, the views from Alcatraz Island are also pretty spectacular and those tours leave from right next to the ship.

I live just north of San Francisco so know a little bit more about that area. Hopefully someone from SoCal can chime in on that area more thoroughly.

we are sailing in october on star princess flying from edinburgh staying 3 nights in los angeles before 7 night cruise on star princess can anyone give us tips on best trips we would like to see as much as possible as it is probably our once in a lifetime trip to this area we normally just walk of the ship and do our own thing but not sure if that is an option here or not do you recommend the hop on hop of bus in california would you wait for mexico for the beach etc

If you are doing the typical 'Classic California Coastal', I would not recommend going to the beach in Mexico. Your stop will be in Ensenada and this is a popular port to just stay onboard the ship for many passengers. They are fixing it up a bit just outside the port, so I would not say you should stay on the ship, you might find something of interest to do there but there are much nicer ports of call to find a beautiful beach, such as in and nearby Monterey, San Diego and Los Angeles.

October is usually one of our better months, in terms of weather, in California. However, it can be on the cooler side when close to the coast. It's hard to predict this far out what kind of weather you will see on your sailing.

San Francisco has a nice Hop On Hop Off bus option that will give you a good overview of the City. They also have a lot of beautiful sights to see, interesting things to do. If you go to Muir Woods, it is not far to also head over to Stinson Beach, either by a vigorous hike or by car. There are a lot of things to do within walking distance from the ship, though. They will dock right there in the middle of town and public transportation is within walking distance from the dock as well (MUNI, BART, Cable Cars) if you want to go across the City. I recommend Alcatraz while in SF ... it's very unique and very SF!! Be sure to order your tickets early from their official site (I think they go on sale 90 days before). You will not be able to just walk up on the day of your visit and get tickets to go to the Rock.

San Diego's cruise terminal is also located right in the middle of town and is within walking distance of many attractions. I recommend a visit to the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier museum just steps away from where the cruise ship will dock. They also have a world famous Zoo in San Diego, which is over in the Balboa Park area, which also has a lot of museums. For the beach, you can head over to the bridge and go for a visit at Hotel Del Coronado on the island. There is an absolutely beautiful beach over there and be sure to tour the hotel there, too ... legend has it that it is haunted. Other beaches include Black's beach and LaJolla, although they are a bit further from where the ship is docked.

In Monterey, you will be tendered to or near Fisherman's Wharf and even though it is a bit further to walk into town than in San Diego or San Francisco, it is walkable. They do have a free trolley there that takes you into town and back on some days ... probably available whenever a cruise ship is anchored there. Again, a lot of touristy things to do right there in town. We took a very nice walking tour last time there and they also have a world famous aquarium there. There is a large public beach here in town as well as a nice one down the road in Pacific Grove, albeit getting to the one in PG is a much longer walk. 17 mile drive is a nice way to see the entire area with some beautiful stops along the way.

From what I've hear, the wine country tour with tastings is supposedly a great tour. I usually just stay onboard when in this port of call so really cannot recommend anything else there. We felt safe enough last time when we walked out and about there last month but it's certainly not a place where we would walk around off the beaten path (or go out to a beach) by ourselves. I think they are trying to fix their image, they've built up a nice walkway along the water with dancing fountains near the port and even putting in a couple of museums within walking distance there as well. But, they still have some work to do...

In LA, well, that city is a lot more spread out than the other ones mentioned above. Venice Beach is really nice and kind of quirky. There are many attractions in and nearby LA ... way too many to list and really dependent on your interests.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to check out sites online, such as Groupon or Living Social, for discount tickets based on attractions that are of interest to you. There are a LOT of discounts available in these ports of call. Enjoy your cruise.

...If you want to go to the beach for swimming the beaches in Southern California are really good and there are lots of them, but I think you will probably need transportation of some kind. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any within walking distance from the port in Los Angeles. There are beaches in Monterey but are a bit of a hike from downtown. Again, I'm sure there are buses.

I live just north of San Francisco so know a little bit more about that area. Hopefully someone from SoCal can chime in on that area more thoroughly.

For the beach: from the ship in San Diego, you can take a ferry over to Coronado Island. The ferry docks right by the ship. It's about a 10 minute ride across San Diego Harbor. Walk off and go to the beach. It's just under $10 round-trip last I heard and there's a ticket machine you can get tickets at. They have the ferries going every hour and if you're not there on time, they leave so you'd have to wait for the next one.

If it's not too cool, sit on top of the boat and get some great shots of the ship where it's docked. You're dropped off at the Coronado brewery, near restaurants, shops, ice cream etc. The Hotel Del Coronado is a short walk. You can even rent a bike ($1-$2 an hour I think) and bring it with you on the ferry and then just bike to the beach once you're on Coronado. Super cheap, easy, relaxing day.

Are you looking for tips in Los Angeles, or do you already have a plan? If you are looking for tips, I have to advise you that Los Angeles does not have a very good public transportation system and it covers a lot of geography. So, it would be helpful to know where you are staying (if you have made hotel reservations, already), and what things you would like to see.

San Francisco is the opposite of Los Angeles. It is geographically compact, and it has an excellent public transportation system. As the previous poster has indicated, you will be within easy walking distance of several popular tourist destination. I'm a foodie kind of guy. Fog City Diner is right across the street from Pier 27. About a 15 minute walk to Pier 1 is a great Peruvian restaurant (Ceviches, Empanadas) called La Mar. Check out the SF Muni web site for information on public transportation--including Cable Cars. The Cable Cars are just too much fun. If you are a wine person, Princess offers a very nice tour to Sonoma County.,

I can't offer any advice on Monterey. I really don't know where the tender dock is. OK, I'll offer this opinion. The Monterey Aquarium is very cool.

In San Diego, I agree that visiting the USS Midway is very cool. It is just a couple hundred yards from where you'll berth. On the other hand, it might not be everybody's thing. One thing that is pretty quaint in that part of town is that there are numerous pedicabs that will ride you around the area. They are going to ask for U.S. dollars, though.

A lot of people don't care for Ensenada, but I've enjoyed it on my cruise stops. The town is about a 10 minute walk from the berth. A lot of people enjoy the restaurants/cafes--I don't have any recommendation. Rest assured, though, the water is safe. One observation that I have made about Ensenada is that automobile drivers are very courteous to pedestrians. If they see you nearing the curb at an intersection, they will stop and insist that you cross in front of them.

For the beach: from the ship in San Diego, you can take a ferry over to Coronado Island. The ferry docks right by the ship. It's about a 10 minute ride across San Diego Harbor. Walk off and go to the beach. It's just under $10 round-trip last I heard and there's a ticket machine you can get tickets at. They have the ferries going every hour and if you're not there on time, they leave so you'd have to wait for the next one.

If it's not too cool, sit on top of the boat and get some great shots of the ship where it's docked. You're dropped off at the Coronado brewery, near restaurants, shops, ice cream etc. The Hotel Del Coronado is a short walk. You can even rent a bike ($1-$2 an hour I think) and bring it with you on the ferry and then just bike to the beach once you're on Coronado. Super cheap, easy, relaxing day.

The Pacific Ocean and Hotel Del are 1.5 miles from the ferry landing, so that may or may not be a short walk for you. There are a couple of small beaches near the ferry landing, but then you are swimming in the bay, which may not be what you expect when you think of going to the beach. You can easily get an uber or taxi from the pier to the ocean. If you do go to the beach, realize that the water temps in October will be around 19 degrees C.

Also, do not bring a rental bike to Coronado on the ferry. Dockless rental bikes are not permitted in Coronado and they will be impounded by the police if you park them for longer than 2 hours, leaving you without any way to get back to the ferry and making you responsible for the fines the city will charge to the bike owner. All the bike rental apps and the signage at the ferry boarding ramp explain this with varying levels of clarity. If you want to ride a bike in Coronado, rent from one of the several vendors at the ferry landing, in town, or at the Hotel Del.

If you are doing the typical 'Classic California Coastal', I would not recommend going to the beach in Mexico. Your stop will be in Ensenada and this is a popular port to just stay onboard the ship for many passengers. They are fixing it up a bit just outside the port, so I would not say you should stay on the ship, you might find something of interest to do there but there are much nicer ports of call to find a beautiful beach, such as in and nearby Monterey, San Diego and Los Angeles.

October is usually one of our better months, in terms of weather, in California. However, it can be on the cooler side when close to the coast. It's hard to predict this far out what kind of weather you will see on your sailing.

San Francisco has a nice Hop On Hop Off bus option that will give you a good overview of the City. They also have a lot of beautiful sights to see, interesting things to do. If you go to Muir Woods, it is not far to also head over to Stinson Beach, either by a vigorous hike or by car. There are a lot of things to do within walking distance from the ship, though. They will dock right there in the middle of town and public transportation is within walking distance from the dock as well (MUNI, BART, Cable Cars) if you want to go across the City. I recommend Alcatraz while in SF ... it's very unique and very SF!! Be sure to order your tickets early from their official site (I think they go on sale 90 days before). You will not be able to just walk up on the day of your visit and get tickets to go to the Rock.

San Diego's cruise terminal is also located right in the middle of town and is within walking distance of many attractions. I recommend a visit to the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier museum just steps away from where the cruise ship will dock. They also have a world famous Zoo in San Diego, which is over in the Balboa Park area, which also has a lot of museums. For the beach, you can head over to the bridge and go for a visit at Hotel Del Coronado on the island. There is an absolutely beautiful beach over there and be sure to tour the hotel there, too ... legend has it that it is haunted. Other beaches include Black's beach and LaJolla, although they are a bit further from where the ship is docked.

In Monterey, you will be tendered to or near Fisherman's Wharf and even though it is a bit further to walk into town than in San Diego or San Francisco, it is walkable. They do have a free trolley there that takes you into town and back on some days ... probably available whenever a cruise ship is anchored there. Again, a lot of touristy things to do right there in town. We took a very nice walking tour last time there and they also have a world famous aquarium there. There is a large public beach here in town as well as a nice one down the road in Pacific Grove, albeit getting to the one in PG is a much longer walk. 17 mile drive is a nice way to see the entire area with some beautiful stops along the way.

From what I've hear, the wine country tour with tastings is supposedly a great tour. I usually just stay onboard when in this port of call so really cannot recommend anything else there. We felt safe enough last time when we walked out and about there last month but it's certainly not a place where we would walk around off the beaten path (or go out to a beach) by ourselves. I think they are trying to fix their image, they've built up a nice walkway along the water with dancing fountains near the port and even putting in a couple of museums within walking distance there as well. But, they still have some work to do...

In LA, well, that city is a lot more spread out than the other ones mentioned above. Venice Beach is really nice and kind of quirky. There are many attractions in and nearby LA ... way too many to list and really dependent on your interests.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to check out sites online, such as Groupon or Living Social, for discount tickets based on attractions that are of interest to you. There are a LOT of discounts available in these ports of call. Enjoy your cruise.

Raider, I just wanted to commend you for this post. Very thoughtful, considerate, and full of helpful tips. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with someone coming here on a trip of a lifetime.

Monterey is beautiful. It is a short taxi ride to Cannery row. But to far to walk it. We go there often. One street over on wave st there is a big antique store looks like a barn. If you rent a car you can see other parts of the town. Pacific Grove. You can pay and go through to pebble beach. Nice picture taking. You can also see the 18th hole at Pebble Beach, just go through the hotel. Take the whole 17 mile drive and see the points. Carmel is a very short drive from Pebble and lots of nice shops and you can go down to the end of Ocean st and visit the ocean with the white sand.

Have a look at my blog, we went in March from LA to SF to Monterrey to San Diego to Ensenada. Plenty to see and do - you really need multiple days in each place, however its a good sample regardless. The one thing I would change if we went again was to go when you are going, in the fall as the weather is usually very good. We had a lot of rain which I didn't mind, but it made being outside a bit more of a challenge.

Here's the first part:

http://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/live-blogging-from-ruby-princess-day-2.html

In San Diego, I agree that visiting the USS Midway is very cool. It is just a couple hundred yards from where you'll berth. On the other hand, it might not be everybody's thing. One thing that is pretty quaint in that part of town is that there are numerous pedicabs that will ride you around the area. They are going to ask for U.S. dollars, though.

A lot of people don't care for Ensenada, but I've enjoyed it on my cruise stops. The town is about a 10 minute walk from the berth. A lot of people enjoy the restaurants/cafes--I don't have any recommendation. Rest assured, though, the water is safe. One observation that I have made about Ensenada is that automobile drivers are very courteous to pedestrians. If they see you nearing the curb at an intersection, they will stop and insist that you cross in front of them.

If you go to the Midway.... check out the Island (Tower) first as it gets more crowded as the day goes by.

In the opposite direction from the ship is the San Diego Maritime Museum. Many interesting ships, including one that was used in the movies. They do a harbor tour on a 100+ year old pilot boat.

Adding onto Ensenada you could walk around town, all the restaurants have potable water. We especially like Guadalajara. http://www.birrieriaguadalajara.com

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d3544806-Reviews-Birrieria_La_Guadalajara-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html

The popular tours are to the Bufadora (blowhole) it’s definitely a tourist trap but the ride is interesting. Another tour goes north to the Valle de Guadalupe, the local wine region. There’s a long, long history of winemaking here. Some of the wineries also make their own jams and produce their own olive oil. Friends go on this tour annually just for the olive oil.

Everywhere will take $US.

Not sure what your interests are, but in San Diego, Monterey and San Francisco you can see a lot within walking distance of the ship.

In San Diego there is the Midway Aircraft carrier museum right next door to where the ship docks. There are some other, older ships immediately north. There is a trolley not too far from the pier that will take you to Old Town San Diego. The zoo in Balboa Park is almost 3 miles on way. That might be too far to walk for you, but I'm pretty sure there is public transportation.

In San Francisco you usually dock at Pier 27. The touristy area of Pier 39 is less than a mile. A little further on is the Maritime Museum and Ghiardelli Square. Coit Tower is less than 1/2 mile and the Ferry Building is about the same in the other direction. The tours for Alcatraz Island leave from Pier 33, more or less next door to the ship. If you want to go further out, say to the Golden Gate Bridge, you'll definitely need transportation.

I haven't been to Monterey in awhile, but as I recall the Aquarium is right down on Cannery Row which has lots of restaurants and shops.

If you want to go to the beach for swimming the beaches in Southern California are really good and there are lots of them, but I think you will probably need transportation of some kind. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any within walking distance from the port in Los Angeles. There are beaches in Monterey but are a bit of a hike from downtown. Again, I'm sure there are buses.

I really don't want to recommend the Hop-On Hop-Offs one way or another. They can be useful, but again, it really depends on what you want to do/see. For instance, as stated, in San Francisco there is tons to do withing in walking distance, but the bridge and the Presidio are too far to walk comfortably. I will say, if it were me, and it was my first time to the City by the Bay, I would definitely want to get out to the bridge. The views are amazing. In lieu of that, the views from Alcatraz Island are also pretty spectacular and those tours leave from right next to the ship.

Thank you very much for your help we thought maybe the hop on bus would let us see the bridge and also Alcatraz island we also hope to do all the iconic stuff we have watched on tv over the years and thought that there will be so much to do in one day that we wont have time to do the beach in San Francisco so would you say not to book the trip onboard as we can get them all on the pier we are so looking forward to this trip thank again

For your stay in LA: The Getty museum in LA is well worth the visit. We’ve been several times, most recently last weekend. For me the architecture & the exterior gardens are top notch. The gardens rivaled what we saw in the Loire valley at the chateaus (although in much smaller scale). Of course there is some wonderful art inside the galleries.

Also there is La Brea Tar pits on Wilshire Blvd in LA that we found interesting. In that same area is a car museum and the LA art museum.

Santa Monica pier is fun too. We enjoy the vistas, food and the vibe on the pier. This is the classic wide, white sand So Ca beach. So if you are looking for a beach day, this would be it.

I personally do not care for the freak show at Venice Beach but it might be something you’d like to see as it is unique. Happy cruising,

Thank you so much for your help we are staying at Millenium Biltmore hotel before our cruise we thought there will be so much to see at the other ports that maybe laze on the beach in mexico i will check out the discount coupons so if we want to go to alcatraz island should we book online now

For your stay in LA: The Getty museum in LA is well worth the visit. We’ve been several times, most recently last weekend. For me the architecture & the exterior gardens are top notch. The gardens rivaled what we saw in the Loire valley at the chateaus (although in much smaller scale). Of course there is some wonderful art inside the galleries.

Also there is La Brea Tar pits on Wilshire Blvd in LA that we found interesting. In that same area is a car museum and the LA art museum.

Santa Monica pier is fun too. We enjoy the vistas, food and the vibe on the pier. This is the classic wide, white sand So Ca beach. So if you are looking for a beach day, this would be it.

I personally do not care for the freak show at Venice Beach but it might be something you’d like to see as it is unique. Happy cruising,

Thanks very much for your help we are staying at millinium biltmore pre cruise for 3 nights and just want to see as much as possible

We're picking up a hire car in San Pedro and driving up the coast, planning to visit the beaches, Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Redondo.

Is this feasible in a day? Car hire depot closes at 6pm.

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help we are staying at Millenium Biltmore hotel before our cruise we thought there will be so much to see at the other ports that maybe laze on the beach in mexico i will check out the discount coupons so if we want to go to alcatraz island should we book online now

You can book them 90 days out at the following site:

https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

They leave approx evry half an hour so you will need to pick a time you want to go as well. Even in October, it can be chilly in the City and even more so over on the water and on the island. But, I hope you see some nice clear, warm weather over there. You will have some stunning views of the City from there.

Thank you very much for your help we thought maybe the hop on bus would let us see the bridge and also Alcatraz island we also hope to do all the iconic stuff we have watched on tv over the years and thought that there will be so much to do in one day that we wont have time to do the beach in San Francisco so would you say not to book the trip onboard as we can get them all on the pier we are so looking forward to this trip thank again

Not sure what time you are coming into SF, but be sure you are up for when you cruise in under the Golden Gate Bridge. It is quite the sight and I recommend being on one of the upper decks for this viewing.

SF is very compact and since you are right in the thick of it where we dock, you will see both the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge right from the ship. You will also be able to see Alcatraz from the ship as well.

We did a HoHo bus tour while a cruise we were on docked there for two days....and we live here. I found it to be very interesting. We got discount tickets on Groupon ahead of time ... during one of their 20% off sales for an even better price. So, yes, don’t buy these from the ship.

cruisegrancruise: yes, book your tour to Alcatraz online now, or rather 90 days out. Cruise Raider posted the link above. They book up and it would be very rare for you to get a ticket once there. The way it works is you book for a specific time, say 9am. You board that boat, go to Alcatraz. You tour at your leisure and when you are ready to return you just get on the next boat. Well, "just" might be a bit of a stretch, there is usually a long line. Quick story: I've been there about 6 times and one time an employee told me he had worked there for many years and he had never seen the boat less than full to capacity, no matter the weather or time of year.

If you go be sure and get the audio tour. The narration is outstanding. They use stories of people who actually lived there. Kids whose parents worked there, or guards and sometimes inmates of the prison. And whenever possible the narration is spoken by those very people.

It can be done in 1/2 day if you didn't want to stay longer and you could then do the Hop On Hop Off to go out to the Golden Gate Bridge. But, the views of the bridge and the whole bay are amazing from Alcatraz if you didn't want to do that. I see by the itinerary that you are in San Francisco until 11pm. Maybe you could do the Hop On Hop Off in the morning and go to Alcatraz later.

Oh my, reading all these tips makes me want to take this trip. Even though I live here and can drive to most of these places, it still sounds like so much fun.

One more thing: I see you are in San Francisco on the 8th. Fleet Week is the 5th through the 7th. It's usually very crowded on that weekend and I cannot predict how many people will stay over through the next week. Might be a good idea to make your plan and, as well as Alcatraz, get any other tickets you will need in advance.

Edited by Blondilu
add

Adding on to Ensenada . . . there’s a long, long history of winemaking here.

Many people take a Princess excursion to the wine country, but last year, for my group of eight, I hired a private driver and guide who took us to a cheese shop, three wineries in the Valle de Guadalupe, and her favorite taco stand. If you are coming from Scotland, avoid downtown Ensenada and go out to the countryside, where you will find food and wine that shouldn't be missed. My friends and I have fond memories of our day in the "valle."

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/americas/valle-de-guadalupe-wine-wineries-vineyards-how-to-get-there-adobe-finca-altozano-las-nubes-a8048246.html

In Ensenada La Guerrerense fish taco cart or their restaurant Sabina are world famous and really good.

In San Francisco I would not try to swim at the beaches as our water is cold and there is quite an undertow. Chinatown is fun for dim sum, there is Lombard street, cable cars lots of different tour bus options, the presidio with the Disney museum, and one of my favorites Fort point (free admission and parking, and great views of the bridge!)

We're picking up a hire car in San Pedro and driving up the coast, planning to visit the beaches, Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Redondo.

Is this feasible in a day? Car hire depot closes at 6pm.

Thanks

I guess that would mean quickly stopping at all those places as they aren't right next to each other. Redondo is a bit of a distance but closer to San Pedro. I would suggest Santa Monica and Venice. Both are right next to each other. Venice has a lot of "oddities," to see and Santa Monica has a pier that's fun. There's also a parking situation where it's hard sometimes to find a place to park. Malibu is pretty but nothing much to see other then expensive homes. LOL

A lot of people don't like getting off in Ensanada Mexico, but Dh and I have taken the Wine tour ( L A Cello and Dona Lopez ) twice and I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's not expensive and a great tour.

I would recommend doing the VIP experience at Universal Studios Hollywood. You get to do a backlit tour of a movie studio, plus have access to the theme park. If you can go during the weekday because the studio productions are working, not so much during the weekend. Also downtown Los Angeles go to a whiskey bar called Seven Grand, it’s very cool. Something kinda odd and fascinating is a Hollywood tour called Helter Skelter tour. It takes you to all the places that involved the Tate/ LaBianca murders. It’s really informative. And the gentleman that runs it is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And please join the Roll Call for the Oct. 6th on the Star; It's kind of quiet right now but hopefully will pick up as we get closer to the cruise date.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2538147