Holy moly I booked my first NCL cruise in 4 years

david_sobe

I am booked on NCL Encore February 23, 2020!!!!!

Prices have really come down since the ship first went on sale. The 2 bedroom Haven I booked is thousands cheaper than in February. The entire Haven was still available so its obvious the high prices were not selling the new ship. I don't expect the price to go down so much. But I booked with these promos which I don't like. In addition NCL offered NO OBC and I am a NCL gold member . I guess its a wash if they had no promos but then added OBC. I don't like that I am already paying near $300 additional gratuities on a drink and specialty dining package that I did not want. One savings I did get was the 3rd and 4th person sails for free. Where I hit a snag is the 5th person :eek:

My PCC told me she will change deals if over the next year anything new or better is offered. I have nothing to lose, right :o

I have never taken a cruise without getting OBC from NCL. I always book directly with them. So that tells me they are bottom line pricing. Even my first NCL cruise I got $40 OBC LOL

My top 5 rationalizations for booking NCL Encore

5. By 2020 it will be 5 years since my last cruise

4. NCL Encore looks like an amazing ship

3. Need something to look forward to

2. Its my retirement eligibility cruise celebration (though not retiring yet)

1. Big 50th birthday cruise

Edited by david_sobe

One point I would make is that absolutely nobody has to pay gratuity on a dining or beverage package that they do not want. If you don’t want it then don’t take the perk. No gratuity is payable in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One point I would make is that absolutely nobody has to pay gratuity on a dining or beverage package that they do not want. If you don’t want it then don’t take the perk. No gratuity is payable in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True

I am sure I could have it removed. Its really a wash. If I drink 10 drinks the 7 days then I am even. We normally eat at a few specialty restaurants too. So its a wash that way too. If you drink 7 drinks every day then you really make out on the plan. Nothing is free in this world. I had to laugh at the **free excursions. The cabin gets $50 per port. If 5 are sailing its $10 a piece :eek: I just prefer bottom line pricing and pay for everything on board. I just could not pass the good price IMHO. I am sailing Encore its first year and Escape for the same cabin is only a thousand more. I prefer the Escape itinerary but you cant compare Encore to Escape IMHO.

In my experience, newer or brand new ships are almost always pricier than others.....and I agree on the UBP..if you don't want it, you don't have to take it. But if you drink more than 2 drinks per day, it's probably in your best interests to take it. That said, math is easy...only you know the math on this one.

Prices have really come down since the ship first went on sale. The 2 bedroom Haven I booked is thousands cheaper than in February. The entire Haven was still available so its obvious the high prices were not selling the new ship. I don't expect the price to go down so much. But I booked with these promos which I don't like. In addition NCL offered NO OBC and I am a NCL gold member . I guess its a wash if they had no promos but then added OBC. I don't like that I am already paying near $300 additional gratuities on a drink and specialty dining package that I did not want. One savings I did get was the 3rd and 4th person sails for free. Where I hit a snag is the 5th person :eek:

My PCC told me she will change deals if over the next year anything new or better is offered. I have nothing to lose, right :o

I have never taken a cruise without getting OBC from NCL. I always book directly with them. So that tells me they are bottom line pricing. Even my first NCL cruise I got $40 OBC LOL

You do not have to accept the perks if you don't want them. If the drink and dining packages are not of value to you call and tell them to take them off. BTW, you can add the deals that exist at the time of booking back at any time. If you pick deals that don't exist as of today, you may be charged a higher cruise fare than you got because they will consider it a rebooking and you pay the then going rate.

In addition NCL offered NO OBC and I am a NCL gold member . I guess its a wash if they had no promos but then added OBC. I don't like that I am already paying near $300 additional gratuities on a drink and specialty dining package that I did not want. One savings I did get was the 3rd and 4th person sails for free. Where I hit a snag is the 5th person :eek:

I have never taken a cruise without getting OBC from NCL. I always book directly with them. So that tells me they are bottom line pricing. Even my first NCL cruise I got $40 OBC

Even with an inside cabin, you would receive OBC and/or a giftcard by booking with a travel agency.

You do not have to accept the perks if you don't want them. If the drink and dining packages are not of value to you call and tell them to take them off. BTW, you can add the deals that exist at the time of booking back at any time. If you pick deals that don't exist as of today, you may be charged a higher cruise fare than you got because they will consider it a rebooking and you pay the then going rate.

Yes, all true. The promos are not a big deal to me. I prefer rock bottom pricing. This is the quiet time before entertainment and other thing are announced on the ship and bookings will go up along with prices. My sailing had every Haven suite available. I have used the same NCL PCC for years. If any promo comes or price drops I can change whatever I want. I don't want the drink package but rationalize using it. Drink prices have really went up since my last NCL cruise 20% or more. It was not long ago when the signature drink in Cagneys (Speakeasy martini) was $8.95. Now I see there is a new signature drink and its over $12.00!! So I see that and think maybe sticking with the drink package. Although paying almost $300 for gratuities for it and the dining package were a bitter reality.

No OBC tells me NCL does not want to lower prices anymore.

I thought the Encore prices were the most ridiculously priced ship coming of most of the major cruise line offerings. It is sure to be wonderful but I feel the pricing is still very high hence the lack of bookings. They want only about $500 less for a week on the Encore then I'm paying for 15 days on the new Bliss for 2019. I chose Carnivals new Panorama for 2020. Got an extended aft balcony for 7 days for $1800 less for 4 then a week on a regular balcony for a week on the Encore. Happy for you though. I wanted to do the Encore after the Bliss but when the price reaches 5K for a week, it's time to shut that door. Hopefully the prices come down a lot more .

I thought the Encore prices were the most ridiculously priced ship coming of most of the major cruise line offerings. It is sure to be wonderful but I feel the pricing is still very high hence the lack of bookings. They want only about $500 less for a week on the Encore then I'm paying for 15 days on the new Bliss for 2019. I chose Carnivals new Panorama for 2020. Got an extended aft balcony for 7 days for $1800 less for 4 then a week on a regular balcony for a week on the Encore. Happy for you though. I wanted to do the Encore after the Bliss but when the price reaches 5K for a week, it's time to shut that door. Hopefully the prices come down a lot more .

I agree. The prices for a new ship the first year are crazy. I booked in February right before spring break where the prices are not cheap but not insane. There are prices in December 2019 and January 2020 that are almost laughable. Even though I am booked, I am hoping for price drops.

Can you not decline promos that you don't want?