2018 Trip Reports Alaska

cruisingjodi

Woo hoo! Love reading the good report about Shawn! We'll be watching for whales with him later this month!

Completely agree with taking time to enjoy the experience and not trying to capture every moment with photos. We'll have two waterproof cameras for our party of 5. I thought we should do a relay with them. Everyone gets a set amount of time with a camera and no more. Well taken photos of lovely to see but the point of them is to aid our own memory IMO...so even a horrible photo can provide that memory assist...and if that less than stellar photo was taken by a loved family member...all the better.

Enjoying your story!

Enjoying your report, thanks for posting. We were also with Shawn (Glacier Wind) the same week as you; different day. Glad to see that the bubble net feeding is still ongoing. Hoping everyone gets to see this beautiful sight during their visit to this quaint port.

Thanks for the kind words. I know that I studied the Alaska forums to decide what we would do. I appreciated everyone's help to narrow it down to must-do things for us. After our whale watch we walked around the visitor center to learn about the history of the area a little and then walked on the rain forest path nearby. What I noticed was how green it was and that might be reflected in the picture I will try to attach. We then stopped for a few beers again before returning to the ship. I always tried the mildest Alaskan Ale from the tap available, and after a few days my husband stuck to his regular Bud lite Beer. We made our way back to the ship amid rain drops and the sail away later was still a little wet. I can truly say this was the wettest and coldest cruise I've been on(still loved it.) People were not on the decks as much as at other times and there was limited use of the outdoor facilities for activities. GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMAItOTNlNS01NDNlLTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA6zjpIZ14rZKnTGzA0W%2BVXsHAA64G44ftOJAnesUVTV2Q8AAAAIBDAAAAA64G44ftOJAnesUVTV2Q8AAAcydJtgAAAABEgAQAKEWcYEjXSNAt0WMBLKvVwA%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20180525.02&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=yE9KQ5YDnk-w1K1OQtW8CfBenrEMy9UYOJMdusBn2EKxn3Ca_9r8nURG_H1w7zFRqMehBYBvDpE.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.jeAAYI0Ky2P5wsNWtHFovom7VTtz60ughNQXSUkYKczwyqpjj0_kuCtt3F7-Y7DVCoKiN4DX1Dj6PkU_Np930qwOniBJkPdepEce1tT5FV_mgzSVcSZNhdGDTisHexZRrPvHmBoiP7-u4vmJdTaQ3nzhR3Ss6PICb3kMFmu4to8rrG3Lp2tHa1LKH8JAQmobb1hKoJOCtN25cn67rrtB0d6c3lmBjn0kTgQFlZi0QR1FQlbyh7nVPMNHvXsQfuEwY6AqS6WIXmPojFgcrczfhcY38xRoMXxUcgkGSisaDXd1rrHFIzi61EY2_S7g8mrfxtM9t3vuDdh1f2c2J81E-Q&animation=true

Woo hoo! Love reading the good report about Shawn! We'll be watching for whales with him later this month!

Completely agree with taking time to enjoy the experience and not trying to capture every moment with photos. We'll have two waterproof cameras for our party of 5. I thought we should do a relay with them. Everyone gets a set amount of time with a camera and no more. Well taken photos of lovely to see but the point of them is to aid our own memory IMO...so even a horrible photo can provide that memory assist...and if that less than stellar photo was taken by a loved family member...all the better.

Enjoying your story!

You will love Shawn. He is a very interesting man.

You will love Shawn. He is a very interesting man.

We also had Captain Shawn last week with Glacier Wind. Whales were still bubble net feeding, we were tracking two groups of around 12 whales each. Both Shawn and his wife Teresa were very friendly and professional. Teresa picked us up on time and gave us a little tour of Hoonah since the boats weren't back to the dock yet. We even went to their house to see an eagle's nest in a tree nearby. We headed to the dock since she could see the boats coming in and she helps tie them up. People offloaded, Teresa restocked boat and made sure all was set to go and we were off in about 5 minutes. Shawn told us all about the area while we went out to the first pod of whales. He got out his hydrophone as we were tracking the whales and it was neat to hear the chatter back and forth and then it change just before they surface.

We would book with Glacier Wind again in a heartbeat!

He got out his hydrophone as we were tracking the whales and it was neat to hear the chatter back and forth and then it change just before they surface.

You ar the first one I've read mention a hydrophone with Glacier Winds! Oooo so excited to hopefully hear that!

Thanks for the post :) I’m from MN, but went to CMU, so Pgh is close to my heart :). Can’t wait to leave for my trip in 10 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will love it. And CMU is a wonderful school. Glad you still have fondness for Pittsburgh.

894051891_666198_s.jpgThis guy was on our Adventure Bound tour in Juneau. He was one of many. I can not say enough about this excursion. If you want to see rugged Alaska this is the tour for you. I will go into more detail tomorrow as my iPad got stuck once tonight and my review disappeared.

894051766_786119_o.jpgOn day four we were in Juneau and elected to do Adventure Bound tour to the Tracy Arm Fjords. I can tell you this is an amazing experience if you are looking for wildlife, rugged coastline, icebergs, and being with a crew that wants you to enjoy the experience. There were 26 passengers on this ice chopping boat and our crew were Steve, James and Joel. We started in Juneau and it took around 2 hours to get to where you turn into Tracy Arm. Along the way we saw countless eagles, waterfalls, whales, and endless scenery to appreciate. They would stop to show us things along the way and when we saw our first iceberg, little did we know it would be the first of so many. We saw a bear on a waterfall cliff and he was hanging out for all of us to clamor to get pictures. Once we got further in to the fjord, the ice began to increase and pretty soon we were chopping through slowly to get to the glacier. When we got in as close as was possible there were seals hanging out on the ice everywhere and curious youngsters were peaking their heads up all around us. Hanging out there was a surreal experience and I think everyone was in awe of our surroundings. If you have all day in Juneau, this is an experience to remember. Chopping back out of the area was interesting to watch too. Once we hit open water it was a speed up for our cruising trip back to Juneau. It was a long day, so it limits anything else you can do, but it was a highlight of out trip. When we did return to Juneau, (around 6) we went to Red Dog Saloon as recommended by most, and we did not have to wait for a table. I hear earlier in the day there are long lines to get in. All in all it was a perfect day in Juneau.

I'm really enjoying your review of the Radiance of the Seas, we live in Australia and contemplating a cruise in May the information you have provided is great thank you.:)

Thank you. If you go you will not be disappointed.

4ead62c2-04fd-4644-9396-2cc733c09152

03d2d626-2697-4da8-bbed-be3e3d63f708

Day

03d2d626-2697-4da8-bbed-be3e3d63f708

Day five was our car rental in Skagway from Avis to drive to the Yukon in Canada. This was our sunniest day so far so it made the day easy to appreciate. Some of this was covered because of questions from Jen earlier in this review, but on reflection, I will say that yes we would do it again. An hour into our drive my husband said how much he enjoyed being alone together. And when you are cruising Alaska you are often sharing the beauty with others. It was nice to share it with just him, and get out and get going together. Although we did not do the Skagway train ride, which so many enjoy, we did a train later on our trip. The scenery has to be appreciated in person as photos never see what the brain sees. It’s only a glimpse of the total beauty. Anyway I hope any that are reading this consider all their options and realize that you will probably enjoy whatever you decide but be wishing for more. five was our car rental in Skagway from Avis to drive to the Yukon in Canada. This was our sunniest day so far so it made the day easy to appreciate. Some of this was covered because of questions from Jen earlier in this review, but on reflection, I will say that yes we would do it again. An hour into our drive my husband said how much he enjoyed being alone together. And when you are cruising Alaska you are often sharing the beauty with others. It was nice to share it with just him, and get out and get going together. Although we did not do the Skagway train ride, which so many enjoy, we did a train later on our trip. The scenery has to be appreciated in person as photos never see what the brain sees. It’s only a glimpse of the total beauty. Anyway I hope any that are reading this consider all their options and realize that you will probably enjoy whatever you decide but be wishing for more.

Edited by cruisingjodi
Still not right on post

I am getting so excited seeing these pics and hearing about your adventures. We sail the Radiance June 14, 2019 with our son and Daughter-in -law. We have the cruise and then 5 day land tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A little more about the Radiance. We found the entertainment to be top notch and enjoyed both comedians on board. The singers and dancers always do a terrific job, and this crew was no exception. The magician also did some amazing tricks. I sometimes feel that if you have cruised multiple times your expectations may be higher, but for these young people it is an opportunity to do what they love doing, and I know they are trying their best to put on an outstanding show. For the cost of a cruise there is nothing else you can do within a budget that beats cruising. So many venues to try and such good service is provided that there is no excuse not to have a good time. Sometimes you do have to go with the flow and I have heard stories that are scary so maybe I’ve been lucky, but I have my own adjustments I have had to make on cruises. The staff was so friendly and service so excellent that I would go on the Radiance again without hesitation.

893974775_534826_s.jpg

Great review! I have a question about the Tracy Arm trip. What time did your ship get into Juneau? We're there next June and I really want to do Tracy Arm but our time says 8am - 9pm in Juneau so I'm not sure if it's feasible to get to Adventure Bound in time. Any insight from your experience?