New ship in 2020

Delivery is supposed to be April 2020, and given Meyer Turku's capacity of 150,000 gt/year, and since they just delivered the TUI ship, they may just be starting to cut steel now. TUI has another ship due out from Turku next year, and then the Carnival one. They are also expanding the yard, so potential delays in that construction could affect the Carnival deliveries for 2020 & 2021.

Well that sucks. I was hoping for it to be out in 2020 cause my family are planning on a Baltic cruise that year.

Didn't say it wouldn't be out in 2020, that's when it's scheduled, and given that the TUI ship is only 110,000 tons, they should be able to start construction of the Carnival ship while the TUI ship is completed. No guarantee, however, that the ship would do any Baltic cruises, though given the current state of LNG bunkering facilities in the US, the ship will most likely be in Europe for a while.

I know it isn't garenteed to do any Baltic but I am just hoping because the Spirit class ships were built there and they all did Baltic inaugural sailings. So fingers crossed. Ports could be limited do to fuel source and size but if Carnival doesn't do it we will be doing RCI.

Didn't say it wouldn't be out in 2020, that's when it's scheduled, and given that the TUI ship is only 110,000 tons, they should be able to start construction of the Carnival ship while the TUI ship is completed. No guarantee, however, that the ship would do any Baltic cruises, though given the current state of LNG bunkering facilities in the US, the ship will most likely be in Europe for a while.

Certainly not a expert, but thought I remember some post about dual fuel burning. Is that a possibility?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Certainly not a expert, but thought I remember some post about dual fuel burning. Is that a possibility?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All diesels designed to burn LNG are dual fuel engines, since there is a need for liquid fuel for starting. These engines are infinitely variable on the proportion of gaseous fuel to liquid fuel from 0-100%. The problem is whether or not the ship has storage tanks for both fuels in quantity to burn liquid fuel for extended periods, and whether there is sufficient fuel system support machinery to support the ship burning liquid fuel at full power for extended periods. The fuel systems outside the engine are different for liquid fuel and gaseous fuel. Having equipment and tankage for both fuels in quantity to burn either at full power would seriously impact crew living space, which in turn would push passenger space out as well.

All diesels designed to burn LNG are dual fuel engines, since there is a need for liquid fuel for starting. These engines are infinitely variable on the proportion of gaseous fuel to liquid fuel from 0-100%. The problem is whether or not the ship has storage tanks for both fuels in quantity to burn liquid fuel for extended periods, and whether there is sufficient fuel system support machinery to support the ship burning liquid fuel at full power for extended periods. The fuel systems outside the engine are different for liquid fuel and gaseous fuel. Having equipment and tankage for both fuels in quantity to burn either at full power would seriously impact crew living space, which in turn would push passenger space out as well.

Makes sense. Thanks as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Have they named this ship yet?

2. Will it be the 4th Vista Class ship?

OR

3. Will it be the 1st of a new class??

Karen

1.) I have not heard of this yet

2 & 3.) New class! This one will hold 5200 passengers at double occupancy. Compare that to their biggest ship, the Horizon, which holds 3,960. I am very interested to see what Carnival does with such a massive ship.

Here is a presentation that a Holland America executive gave on Carnival Corp’s Project XL ships:

http://www.greencruiseport.eu/files/public/download/events/bergen/9_Shipowner%20expectation_Sibrand%20Hassing_Holland%20America%20Group.pdf

Carnival Reflection and her unnamed sister are scheduled to be delivered in August 2020 and October 2022. At this point it hasn’t been officially announced that either ship will be Carnival Reflection, but there’s been a photograph of a model with that name on Instagram for over a year now, and of course that name is used on the illustration in the linked document.

For those talking about the TUI Ship and its impact on Carnival’s construction orders, the short answer is that Meyer can build multiple ships concurrently - a megablock for AIDAnova, part of this project, was floated out recently, and the then nearly-completed Norwegian Bliss had a front row seat to the whole process.

I would expect some European season for the 2020 Ship, if nothing else to avoid the typical peak of hurricane season here in North America. The 2022 model will be less likely to do so, especially with that October delivery date.

There actually will be more Vista class ships built, but they will be under a new brand Carnival is creating for China. Fincantieri is partnering with Chinese State Shipbuilding (CSSC) on those.

The other Carnival-owned lines with orders in this project are starting to be announced. Kicking off the class is AIDAnova, which begins service late this year. Costa Smeralda starts sailing in 2019. P&O Cruises (UK)

launches Iona in 2020.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

• 2 months later...

AIDAnova will be christened August 31 in Papenburg, Germany. Will the steel cutting on the Carnival version start shortly before or after that? I know Carnival’s ship is being built in Finland, but it is the same company (Meyer), and it would allow Carnival executives to make both ceremonies.

Well I am pretty disappointed with Carnival. The president of Carnival said they have no plans on ever returning to Europe so the new ships will be just showing up in there home ports just like the Panarama .

That actually is consistent with the plans for the Panorama, and the much shortened schedule the Horizon did. Whatever the reason, whether it be lack of interest in bookings (which is what suspect) or another reason, I do not read this as a "change". Like you, I enjoy sailing on a Carnival ship in locations other than the Caribbean. I totally understand the corporate view, it is just not my view.

Lastly, I have heard some rumblings that the Panorama might not be going straight to Long Beach....we will see.

... though given the current state of LNG bunkering facilities in the US, the ship will most likely be in Europe for a while.

Galveston will have the facilities in place within the next year. In addition, they just won DOE approval on a plan to expand LNG capabilities even further with the goal of becoming a major LNG export port.

https://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com/news/galveston-bay-gets-lng-export-permit-doe/

That actually is consistent with the plans for the Panorama, and the much shortened schedule the Horizon did. Whatever the reason, whether it be lack of interest in bookings (which is what suspect) or another reason, I do not read this as a "change". Like you, I enjoy sailing on a Carnival ship in locations other than the Caribbean. I totally understand the corporate view, it is just not my view.

Lastly, I have heard some rumblings that the Panorama might not be going straight to Long Beach....we will see.

It really doesnt make sense why they arent doing Europe. My mum is a travel agent and she says European cruises are at an all time high in sales.

It really doesnt make sense why they arent doing Europe. My mum is a travel agent and she says European cruises are at an all time high in sales.

But the question is how did Carnival sales go ?

I think at times Carnival Corp makes the real decisions and maybe they don’t want Carnival cruise lines driving down the fares in Europe. Carnival Corp owns so many brands that they really don’t need Carnival Cruise lines in Europe canabalizing the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The expansion of AIDA, Costa, and P&O (UK) is truly breathtaking - they will all have their XL ships online before Carnival, and the second Costa and AIDA XL ships will not be far behind Carnival’s (2021). Even the tonnage Carnival Corp has unloaded is remaining in Europe (Adonia to Azamara, Prinsendam to Phoenix Reisen).

The cultural differences are also too hard to ignore - sort of like the Russian couple that tried to sunbathe nude at Serenity.

The one that surprised me would be no eastbound Transatlantic on the Triumph - I wouldn’t see many Europeans signing up for that, although I’m sure sailing without passengers ultimately allows the ship to get back into service 7-8 days sooner.

There has been a photo of the new carnival ship and other helios class ships side view! Does anyone know where can I find the full photo? Thanks

There is a model of it here:

and some thumbnail renderings of the Excellence/Helios class taken from a presentation here:

AIDAnova is almost finished, so there are tons of construction photos out there on the Internet.