Brazilian visa

Andee

For our December, 2014 South American cruise, Oceania added the required visa for $399 per person. Being curious, I researched how much the visa cost. Friends think they paid $200 a couple of years ago, not through a cruiseline. $199 per person seems like a big profit.

As of late January, 2018, US citizens (as well as those from Japan, Canada, and Australia) are eligible for e-Visas, which cost $44.24 (including the processing fee) per person. DH had a little trouble with our photos, so opted for the additional $7 cost (from another website) to get them right, as the requirements are pretty stringent.

Hmmm $$798 for the two of us vs $102.48? Easy decision.

I posted this on our Roll Call, but wanted to reach passengers on different sailings.

For our December, 2014 South American cruise, Oceania added the required visa for $399 per person. Being curious, I researched how much the visa cost. Friends think they paid $200 a couple of years ago, not through a cruiseline. $199 per person seems like a big profit.

As of late January, 2018, US citizens (as well as those from Japan, Canada, and Australia) are eligible for e-Visas, which cost $44.24 (including the processing fee) per person. DH had a little trouble with our photos, so opted for the additional $7 cost (from another website) to get them right, as the requirements are pretty stringent.

I posted this on our Roll Call, but wanted to reach passengers on different sailings.

Buying the Visa thru the Brazilian Consulate Directly was $160 per person so yes, lot of profiteering.

We got our Brazilian visas in 2013 and were able to go to the Consulate here in NYC. Yes, much cheaper than using O's service but today we'd go for the e-service, no question. That just wasn't available 5 years ago.

For us the main problem was going up to the Consulate and WAITING, just to drop off the application. Then when I picked them up a week or so later, again another wait.

But much easier for us than for those who HAD to use a visa service.

Again, much easier these days!

Mura

We got our Brazilian visas in 2013 and were able to go to the Consulate here in NYC. Yes, much cheaper than using O's service but today we'd go for the e-service, no question. That just wasn't available 5 years ago.

For us the main problem was going up to the Consulate and WAITING, just to drop off the application. Then when I picked them up a week or so later, again another wait.

But much easier for us than for those who HAD to use a visa service.

Again, much easier these days!

Mura

Mura,

What an amazing difference between your experience and ours here in Houston. We completed the forms, submitted them on line and made an appointment at the Consulate. Went in at 9 AM and left the Consulate at 9:15 AM with the Visas in our Passports. Unfortunately Brazil is completely inconsistent and each Consulate marches to the beat of a different drummer.

Will add that Consulate personnel unfortunately go on strike periodically which causes big delays until the decide to go back to work.

In LA they only process a ridiculous amount a week, I think I remember 2 or 4 at that time. It is really best to use a service. Mine were good for 10 years. If you go through O, they are responsible and you won't miss out on the cruise.

It was 12 years ago when DH and I got our Brazilian Visas. I did everything myself, sending in the passports, filled out forms and money order type payment from the bank. The Visa then had to be used within 90 days of being issued. They were $298.00 each. Canadian dollars. These Visas were good for 10 years. We had to renew our passports before the second time we used the Visa. We just took our old passports that contained the Brazilian Visa with us on the cruise. Had 2 passports in our possession, but the old one had the corner cut off.

Oh yes, there was also a cost for sending the application to them. Special postal envelopes and also cost for registering and cost for insurance. Visa companies do all of this for you at a cost so you do not have to do all the work.

It was expensive to get the Brazilian Visa but we did use the Visa twice. 10 years is up and it has expired. I therefore do not look at any cruises that go to Brazil. The cost and the hassle of the Visa is too much.

However, I did not realize that you could not get an eVisa at a very good price. You would not have to send away your passport. I will again look at cruises (especially transatlantic) that visit Brazil. Hope that others also see that it is much cheaper and much easier to get the Brazilian Visa. Is the eVisa good for the 10 years, or just one entry?

o

Rally Dave,

I wish there had been so few people waiting in the room when we arrived! I will say (as far as I recall) that the wait to pick up the passports was less than when I dropped off the required info. But that large waiting room was definitely full! Still, not so bad for us as for others who paid more to use a service.

We've always gotten our own visas when we could, and living in NYC that is usually possible. I do think it was pretty standard to drop off passports and applications one day, and come back to get the visa.

Our visas ARE good for 10 years (and I've seen many posts here that just said bring your old passport along if you've gotten a new one inbetween) but the odds are we won't be going back anytime soon. Just because DH has decide his vision problems mean he doesn't want to travel any more ...

I will add as a parenthesis that the only times we used Oceania for visas was when they wanted us to switch cruises and part of the enticement was to provide the visas free of charge. We had NO problem accepting! But normally, we've always gotten our own.

Mura

To complete the application, all applicants require clear colored electronic scans of the following:

After seeing the post of the eVisa, I went to the application page. The above was taken from the eVisa page. Does this mean that we will need recent photos that must be scanned. I would think that just using our passport number that, with all the modern technology, they would be able to find our picture and data page of our passport.

I might have to get a much younger person to do it for me; need more equipment and technical knowledge.

o

Why pay $7 to get a headshot "right." There's a passport photo sizing tool for free on the US State Dept. website. Exact fit for Brazilian visa app.

You need a separate photo. There are several requirements including, but not limited to, white background, no shadows, no glasses, no smile, certain size and format.

Those requirements seem to be identical to the ones for a US passport. Assuming there are no requirements unique to a Brazilian visa photo, the photo department of drug stores, Target, Walmart, etc are set up to take an acceptable photo with some caveats.

Some drug store branches have low ceilings and overhead lighting which cast unacceptable shadows from the the contours of my face. Choose a photography department with higher ceilings or uniform lighting.

Know the regulations and acceptable/unacceptable versions before arriving for your photo. I ran into an employee who was willing to okay a photo that would not have been acceptable if I had sent it in.

Here's a link to the US State Department site providing clear and detailed information and examples for acceptable and unacceptable photos:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html

Not rocket science:

Drape white sheet/towel over bathroom door.

Set flash "on" on smart phone camera.

Appear as stated on US State Dept. website (no smile or glasses, etc)

Have someone take headshot from approx five feet away Email pic to self (or use cloud storage).

Open pic file (usually ".jpg") with US State Dept. website tool and size head to required cutout.

Resave file and print on photo paper (for visas requiring an actual paper photo) and/or submit ".jpg" file as attachment (both were required for pre-ETA Brazilian visa (along with application form and USPS Money Order.

In SF, old non-ETA process required submission appt at consulate (made online) and took a week before ready for return of your passport with visa (no appt needed).

Takes less than five minutes

I'm glad you think it's so simple. Your tone is unpleasant and condescending.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

"Sticks and stones" aside, the process remains very simple, particularly since Brazil now uses ETAs (and the US State Dept photo instructions and sizing tool are both easy to understand and use).

DH tried your suggestion about the US State Dept website without success.

Perhaps it would have met the non-evisa requirements.

Since we will never go to Brazil again, the cheaper evisa makes sense for us.

Glad to see the eVisa doesn't require 3 months worth of financial statements like the 10 year visas did if you had to go through the Consulate in Atlanta like we did. For us that was a show stopper. But now we might include itineraries with Brazilian ports in our future cruise plans.

DH did the online paperwork; he did have to provide income information.

Strangely each Brazilian consulate has their own unique requirements and based on your home address you are required to use the consulate responsible for your home location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH submitted the paperwork online at 9pm June 5, and our visas were emailed to us at 5pm today.

He had to pay the extra $7 to have his photo manipulated because his white hair disappeared against the white background.

Re: taking the picture with flash, I suggest trying it with and without. With flash, our skin tones were off and there were shadows.

Clearly, different consulates have different requirements. Which strikes me as odd! Certainly the requirements should be uniform.

I know that Brazil wants to make sure that the visitor can afford to go home! So asking for some financial information does make sense ... but I don't recall having to provide anything like that (not even one year's info) when we got our visas in NYC back in 2013.

I would guess that most visitors arriving on a cruise CAN afford to go home ... but maybe after paying for an OS on Marina or Riviera one couldn't????????? ;)

Mura