** Live Review ** Oasis of the Seas June 10 - 17 2018

bc9380142c68fb1dc08d2f5144551f38.heic

Obviously, a very special night for us both and so perfect he proposed onboard, since we both love cruising! I see a honeymoon cruise in our future [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m blinded from the shine of your rock!! Congratulations on your engagement! What a beautiful couple!

And I'm blinded by the amount of pure happiness in those smiles. CONGRATULATIONS on the proposal and thanks for sharing your fun review!

Just now finding this review. Congratulations! What a great way to pop the question.

I had to quote your overcast, foggy, San Diego comment. We spent a week in San Diego a few years ago and the weather was overcast and dreary the whole time. San Diego is supposed to be one of the best weather cities in the US! The locals told us that kind of weather so common in early June that it's nicknamed June gloom. Guess they don't want to put that in their tourism info. :rolleyes:

Yes, I so agree! My workplace used to be right next to the coast, so it was especially overcast. From May until July, it’s overcast almost every day, it gets pretty old. You’re right, we have June Gloom, and May Gray [emoji58]

Many Congrats!!!! very beautiful couple!!!

Really enjoying your review!!

I would have been crying too if I was in Central Park and even saw him drop to one knee.... how very, very sweet!!! What a moment to remember!

Thank you all so much for all the congratulations! We are waiting to tell Jason’s family once we are back in person, but we called my mom yesterday and she was thrilled. It’s really fun to share it here, because we haven’t told anyone else yet but of course we’re bursting to share the news!!

Today was our first day at sea. We always enjoy having a balcony room and enjoying some coffee and pastries out there. I scheduled the room service for 7:30-8 am, but they called before 6:30. I thought they said they were bringing it, but it didn’t show up until almost 8. We had immediately hopped out of bed thinking someone was about to knock on our door. It was a little frustrating to be woken up by the phone call, only to have to wait an hour and a half. However, once it arrived, we had gotten all ready for the day, so we enjoyed the coffee and ocean.

58f26ed35541d6952a5034d918fd3768.heic

We had planned to eat breakfast at the MDR, but we also realized we could seize the opportunity and get a jump on prime chair spots before the hoggers took them all [emoji51] So we popped into the WJ for breakfast for a quicker breakfast instead.

I don’t know if it’s the size of the ship, but it was surprisingly empty even at 8:30 am.

debda374b9f89ceb0455e9fd41b47a54.heic

89d9cb249fdaf6422143849f18847708.heic

We stayed until 12, where we went for lunch in the MDR. We had the buffet, and it was so quiet!! It’s really awesome to have the moments on the ship where there’s not many people around. We rarely feel like the ship is crowded, and Oasis already feels less crowded than the smaller ships, which we both find pretty remarkable. But when things are empty, things are extra peaceful and intimate. The MDR lunch was delicious, we definitely will be back on other sea days.

We spent our afternoon watching the World’s Sexiest Man competition at the Aqua Theater, then went to the Promenade to cool off. But of course we ended up back on the pool deck for a bit more sun and relaxation. Suddenly it started to rain! It was pretty hilarious to watch everyone scramble away from their chairs. I had been out in the sun for a while, personally the rain felt pretty good!

c154ec60eaa83b222e5a15474c5bc73b.heic

We jumped in the pool afterward then headed back to freshen up before dinner. We again had to wait 10-15 minutes for My Time Dining without reservations. But we ended up with a fantastic waiter named Joel from Jamaica, and a table with a great view of the dining room!

61036ef4409bed2a0ea8899d24bdfe45.heic

We had a lot of fun with our waiter, and we all were laughing quite a lot. This night was the night they had us get up and dance. They also mentioned 6475 passengers on the Oasis this week. Wow!!

Here’s the dinner menu. I was surprised to see so many duplicate items from the night before. We still enjoyed our dinner, especially more creme brûlée.

01d69ddef874be267a2a7145e508a3bb.heic

Tonight’s show was the headliner act, El Gaucho. Part comedian, part musician, part action filled adventure. We enjoyed him and the audience really liked him!

Finally, we enjoyed the Love and Marriage show, which always brings some laughs.

It’s day 4 now, we are docking in St. Thomas in about an hour. We are doing the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel excursion through RC. We hope we see some good sea life!

Thank you all so much for all the congratulations! We are Tonight’s show was the headliner act, El Gaucho. Part comedian, part musician, part action filled adventure. We enjoyed him and the audience really liked him!

Finally, we enjoyed the Love and Marriage show, which always brings some laughs.

It’s day 4 now, we are docking in St. Thomas in about an hour. We are doing the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel excursion through RC. We hope we see some good sea life!

Best Wishes to you both, you're a darling couple! Perhaps you can come back on your honeymoon cruise and be part of the Love and Marriage show!

Have you mentioned to any of the staff that you were engaged on the ship? Maybe they will do something special for you :)

Congrats and thanks again for sharing with us!

Lisa N.

Such a wonderful review and it makes me excited for my first Oasis class experience in 400+ days! That seems so far away! Port Canaveral is my most favorite homeport and we will be on Harmony next September out of there. Congratulations on your engagement and great job on the review!

You are doing a great job with this review! Would love to hear what you thought about the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel excursion.

Laurie

Day 4 began with us heading to Central Park Cafe to grab some coffee. We absolutely love Central Park, it is never crowded and we just love the atmosphere. Then we watched our ship come into port from our balcony.

2433a92237cea21a0d442f7d254ccb18.heic

f455fecbe72ea62ef6c5d83f02a5485c.heic

The ship didn’t dock in St. Thomas until 10:30, and our excursion met in the Opal Theater at 10:20. So we went back to our room to get ready, and then headed to the MDR for breakfast right around 9:45, hoping it might be less chaotic than the WJ. Unfortunately, we were mistaken, the MDR buffet was quite picked through and the staff couldn’t keep up. We grabbed a bit of food and met up for our Shore Excursion.

Our tour through RC was the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel. We got a good price for it through the Memorial Day sale on the Cruise Planner. The ship crew, especially Chris, was extremely funny and great. The ride out to the first stop was very rough, and I think most people weren’t feeling great, ourselves included. A lady was nice enough to share her Dramamine with me; without that I don’t think I would have made it. Once we finally parked and got in the water, we felt better.

Our first stop was a shipwreck, which I think once had many tropical sea life, but now seems pretty deserted. There was only 2 types of fish we saw, as well as getting lucky and seeing a reef shark. The next stop was to see sea turtles. We got really lucky, as most of our group was trying to all look at one turtle, but we were away from the group and one came up to air just a foot away from us.

3b200d137f994797379361f6ac70e257.png

Overall the crew was awesome and we had a great time, but it was a far cry from what I’d consider good snorkeling. If we hadn’t seen the sea turtles, I honestly would have been pretty disappointed and frustrated. It’s obvious the underwater life has been disrupted since the hurricanes. A few people we talked to on the boat were disappointed, including one man who wouldn’t stop complaining. After hearing him b**** about it for over ten minutes, I was very ready to tell him to stop. Even when Jason and I don’t enjoy something, we don’t like to focus on the negative, and we were sick of listening to the “experienced” man complain. Luckily we talked with a much happier couple later, who also loved hearing our engagement story.

Our tour ended in the early afternoon, and we went back on the ship for lunch and made it to the WJ just before it closed at 3. We spent a little time by the pool before dinner in the MDR.

We headed to dinner at 6 and were shocked there was no line to be seated. We suspected since the ship left port at 6:30, most people planned to eat dinner later. This worked out for us, and we ended up in Joel’s section again! He was so great, and gave us a small plate of Jamaican fried fish with a warm sauté of peppers, vinegar and carrots, he said it was a staple there. We also shared a plate of the wild mushroom risotto, which was fantastic.

b0bd1569b8e6d4b03119976e31eae42f.heic

922eb11e33a36b4415a79d6261507ab3.heic

Afterward we went to the Aqua show, Oasis of Dreams. I couldn’t really understand any sort of “story” to the performance, but all the performers were great.

ce1989120e465ee589a01c7aa3bb4b8e.heic

We didn’t do much later that evening. I was so tired I ended up falling asleep when we went back to the room waiting the hour between the shows. Jason went to the Battle of the Sexes while I slept. It was in Dazzles, and he said it was a really poor venue for the event since it’s small and not the right layout for that kind of event.

Best Wishes to you both, you're a darling couple! Perhaps you can come back on your honeymoon cruise and be part of the Love and Marriage show!

Have you mentioned to any of the staff that you were engaged on the ship? Maybe they will do something special for you :)

Congrats and thanks again for sharing with us!

Lisa N.

Thank you!! I’m not sure if we’d make it past the Love and Marriage audition [emoji23]

We casually mentioned to a few different staffers but no one has done anything special! I’m not sure how much leeway the staff gets to make a moment special. Something would have been nice, but we don’t mind! I understand many people are celebrating things when on a cruise, so it’s hard to accommodate everyone’s celebrations.

Congratulations! And thank you for the live review. We leave July 1. Please post how you get back to the airport (or if anyone else has recommendations. I would think Uber will hike their price because everyone is leaving at once. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your engagement cruise!

Congratulations! And thank you for the live review. We leave July 1. Please post how you get back to the airport (or if anyone else has recommendations. I would think Uber will hike their price because everyone is leaving at once. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your engagement cruise!

Cortrans is a popular shuttle service, $20 per person.

Yesterday was St. Maarten. We woke up when the ship was coming into port. We could even see some sea turtles surfacing near our boat which was cool.

68307dbf17878a0a1eca1d54cc05a9a0.heic

We still weren’t sure what we were going to do in St. Maarten. We had originally thought to take the water taxi to Simpson Bay. Right before we got off, we decided to try Mullet Bay instead. We got round trip taxi for $16 pp. It was with a van full of people who were going to Maho Bay. We never wanted to go to Maho, it is where the airplanes land which is great, but the actual beach is quite short and of course, loud and crowded. When all the other passengers were dropped off there, it was confirmed it was a good choice we skipped it—the beach was completely packed and didn’t look appealing at all.

We got off at Mullet and got two chairs and umbrella for $15. There were 3 catamaran tours there to start, but by 12 they were all gone. The water was so blue and clear and felt great. It didn’t seem like a good place to snorkel, if you brought your own gear I don’t think you’d see anything.

498a6adf051e2b70aafc931746244674.heic

9d3fa31105952c8aa4cde4e22c683d52.heic

We had a Corona for $3 and shared a plate of ribs, rice and salad for $12. Personally the meal seemed a bit expensive but I think with their currency being the euro, and the only food, they don’t have any desire to price it lower. We shared it and it was enough since we were full from breakfast.

We got a taxi van back with others at 2:30. Our driver on the way back was Jimmy and he was great, very funny and gave us lots of info!

6259fb3139aafffb34d282ee20db9cc6.heic

We got back to the ship and headed to the room to get ready for dinner at 150 Central Park.

608e2e7d400350829e199593ef7e9585.heic

Really enjoying your review & congrats on your engagement. When I started reading your review I actually thought to myself "wonder if he's going to pop the question" !

I stayed at the Colonial Hotel for my 1st. Honeymoon way back in 1962! It wasn't a Hilton at that time.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise & look forward to seeing more pictures. Oh, wanted to ask how the "beach front" was in St Maarten? Are all the restaurants & bars back open now since the storm last year?

I was so excited to find a live review of this itinerary! We are doing it in Sept. what a great engagement story! Congratulations! Sounds like you are having a lovely cruise and I’m looking forward to the rest. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congratulations, this is one of the best reviews I have ever read. Its nice to see someone who enjoys the experience and doesn't get upset by the inevitable issues that come up on any vacation. I get tired of people who go on cruises and then post complaints about anything and everything. We have sailed on Oasis/Allure three times and it is by far our favorite class of ship, and Central Park is one of the things that make it so special. So nice of Jason to pick that spot for his proposal, it is perfect. We are getting ready to celebrate our 50th anniversary next year and of course it will be on a RCCL cruise. I smiled at every post and hope you have a good trip home, we live in Long Beach and so from one Cali to another have a great life, and again thanks for a great post.

Really enjoying your review & congrats on your engagement. When I started reading your review I actually thought to myself "wonder if he's going to pop the question" !

I stayed at the Colonial Hotel for my 1st. Honeymoon way back in 1962! It wasn't a Hilton at that time.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise & look forward to seeing more pictures. Oh, wanted to ask how the "beach front" was in St Maarten? Are all the restaurants & bars back open now since the storm last year?

Aww thank you!! What a lovely resort to honeymoon at, and congrats on your marriage!

I’m not sure if I quite understand your question in terms of the beach front—we were at a pretty secluded beach but everything seemed to run pretty smoothly. Restaurants near Maho beach were open as well. Our taxi driver told us most resorts are closed. The beaches accessible by water taxi all seemed to be open seeing as there were many beach chairs that we could see from our balcony. I hope that helps!