Dress Code Question

I was trying to recall if the on board shops sell Regent logo caps, I think they had Polo brand. Perhaps a disclaimer or "operating instructions" should be posted at the display point with distinct rules governing their use.

On the Mariner they sell white and blue “Seven Seas Mariner” hats and white visors.

I’m sorry if wearing my hat at lunch spoiled any meals, but on the other hand I can’t control other people’s gag reflex.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is no place to store a hat in the restaurants. I would gladly hang my hat on a hook if provided. On the other hand DW asked me to put my hat back on when I tried to dine bare-headed rather than have to look at my hat hair.

Of course I’m just talking about lunch or in a lounge in the afternoon. Whether the dress code says it or not I don’t wear hats after six.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread makes me think that Regent needs not only a dress code sticky but also an etiquette sticky.:confused:

There was one for a short time. You could look up etiquette for most parts of the world. This helps avoid making mistakes (like accidentally "flipping off" a bartender in England when you use two fingers to indicate how many beers you would like or having your feet accidentally pointing at someone where it is considered rude in some countries).

Unfortunately, some people in the U.S. think that manners and etiquette are old fashioned and could blindly travel the world making locals uncomfortable what they consider new world manners.

Here is an interesting article about wearing hats and hair loss. While wearing a cap may not make you bald, when your head is sweating and you're wearing one..... there are side effects https://www.leaf.tv/articles/does-wearing-a-hat-cause-hair-loss/

Edited by Travelcat2

Should mention that a few years ago an older singing group (wish that I could remember their name) was on Regent and the eldest (guessing that he was in his 80's) wore a hat and was asked to leave CR. I felt badly for him.

Jackie,

I believe the group you are referring to were the Platters. They were on Regent more than once. I think we saw them on Voyager on a Middle East cruise and if memory serves me correctly that was the cruise you were on as well. Even though the group was a bit before my time they put on an incredible show - I remember them dancing with guests in the theater isles. Sadly, the older gentleman (I think he was the last surviving original member of the group) passed away a few years later.

Best, John

Jackie,

I believe the group you are referring to were the Platters. They were on Regent more than once. I think we saw them on Voyager on a Middle East cruise and if memory serves me correctly that was the cruise you were on as well. Even though the group was a bit before my time they put on an incredible show - I remember them dancing with guests in the theater isles. Sadly, the older gentleman (I think he was the last surviving original member of the group) passed away a few years later.

Best, John

Thanks John - that is the group and they were great. Sorry to hear that the original surviving member passengers away. He must have been the gentlemen that was asked to leave CR because of his hat. I remember that cruise fondly and Dennis would like to return to the Middle East but we are booked for the next couple of years.

Take care,

Jackie

Thanks John - that is the group and they were great. Sorry to hear that the original surviving member passengers away. He must have been the gentlemen that was asked to leave CR because of his hat. I remember that cruise fondly and Dennis would like to return to the Middle East but we are booked for the next couple of years.

Take care,

Jackie

I am confused why Regent wouldn't just ask him to remove his hat instead of asking him to leave. That seems extreme unless he refused.

I am confused why Regent wouldn't just ask him to remove his hat instead of asking him to leave. That seems extreme unless he refused.

I wasn't at their table but saw the maitre 'd speaking with him and he left. When he returned he wasn't wearing a hat. Maybe he had to fix his hair or ???

I wasn't at their table but saw the maitre 'd speaking with him and he left. When he returned he wasn't wearing a hat. Maybe he had to fix his hair or ???

Thank you for the explanation. I was starting to feel sorry for the poor man.

Thank you for the explanation. I was starting to feel sorry for the poor man.

I did feel badly for him - especially when I have seen hats in CR since then. Again, it is about respect. Even the husband of a regular on this board who always wears a Stetson takes it off when he is going into a restaurant on Regent.

I did feel badly for him - especially when I have seen hats in CR since then. Again, it is about respect. Even the husband of a regular on this board who always wears a Stetson takes it off when he is going into a restaurant on Regent.

I agree, nothing wrong asking someone to remove their hat. I was just thinking that as some get older, remembering they have their hat on could be the issue. Not following rules does not warrant rudeness. Your explanation helped clear that thought.

I would also expect the rules apply to everyone no matter how many times they have been on Regent.

So you're saying if I wore a Beach Blanket Babylon hat I might be asked to remove it?:')

Sailing on Mariner next week from Anchorage to Victoria.

Thanks to input from this board we have a solid understanding of the evening dres code on Mariner.

Question - Is there a dress code during the day if you stay on the ship or during days at sea (cruising the icy straight)?

Are jeans acceptable during the day? If not what do most people wear? Thanks in advance!!

My original post is above and I would like to thank all who responded. Thank you!

I do not plan on wearing any kind of hat to dinner and I can only dream about it being 90 in Alaska. :)

My original post is above and I would like to thank all who responded. Thank you!

I do not plan on wearing any kind of hat to dinner and I can only dream about it being 90 in Alaska. :)

Our first Radisson (now Regent)was to Alaska. It was 30c in Juneau in June...be prepared for anything

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regent's dress code says sport jackets optional for elegant casual dinners. In practice, about what percent of men actually do wear a sport jacket or suit to dinner? Does a nice polo shirt count as a collared shirt?

Regent's dress code says sport jackets optional for elegant casual dinners. In practice, about what percent of men actually do wear a sport jacket or suit to dinner? Does a nice polo shirt count as a collared shirt?

If you are considering Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal, we have never done a head count, but here is the general dress code for Silversea to give you an idea what they are like:

"Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and

Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to

dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen."

As to jacket-count at dinner:

Currently aboard Navigator en route to NYC. Here is a totally unofficial, as we say in the Army SWAG (Scientific Wild -ss Guess). This is based on observations over the past two+ weeks following departure from LA. This covers all three Navigator evening dinner venues.

Perhaps 20% of the guys have actually worn what would be considered a sports jacket. That attire may accompanied by a tie. Maybe. No baseball hats worn front or backwards at dinner.

I do not spend too much time dwelling on this matter, as life is too short. But, in reality, "elegant casual" has been taken way to the casual side. As this cruise segment is 16+ days, there are two "formal optional" nights. On the first, observed about 10% of guys in tuxes. The next will be tomorrow night.

Yes, I brought my tux. My wife wears similar formal ladies' attire to respect the ship, crew, service, and ambience. IMO, the ladies adhere more the spirit of the dress code than the men. Why is it such a "stretch" for men to at-least, carry a sports jacket onboard?

Now, I await the deluge response.

GOARMY!

3, 5, 10 years from now.....if Regent is still sailing, the then-current "crop" of cruisers will laugh in utter disbelief if anyone were to tell them how people "used" to have to dress on board the ships after 6pm, or even in the dining room, for that matter. When DW and I went to college (back in the prehistoric age), "girls" (that's when you could safely refer to them as "girls") had to be back in their dorm rooms by 8pm on weeknights and men had to be back in their dorm by 11pm. Of course, there was absolutely NO coed living arrangements! For evening meals (served "family style" with 12 students to a table), the young men were required to wear a sports coat and women had to wear a dress - no exceptions. Just try "mandating" to a young women today what she "has to wear" to dinner - or anywhere else! For men, wearing a hat inside anywhere was unthinkable. For women, NOT wearing a hat (and gloves) in church at least, was also unthinkable. Do we "really" want to go back to those times? In my Mom and Dad's generation, they wore a suit to the ball game and to the movie theater. We evolve! Thank Goodness!