Hotel close to San Diego cruise ship terminal

sandancer

25 minutes ago, Roz said:

Embassy Suites is much further away. 

Roz 

Don't think so.  I think they are about the same.  The walk along the sidewalk along the waterfront past USS Midway is much wider than from the Hampton direction.  

5 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Problem is the train tracks run right down the waterfront pretty much parallel with Pacific Highway so you have to be careful about how close they are to any hotel along the waterfront.  They do their best not to sound the horn at night, but you still hear the crossing arms and train.  We stay frequently at the Hilton Gaslamp and even being in the heart of tourist area the train runs right in front and will still wake you in the middle of the night if your window is open.    

The railroad tracks are at least a block and a half off the waterfront, and most importantly, directly behind (away from the waterfront) the Hampton. We have also stayed at the Embassy Suites and the Hilton Gaslamp. The trains, while close, are less of a problem in those hotels. At the Hampton they shake the back half of the hotel, as the back of the hotel is right on the tracks. That is not true for the Embassy Suites or Hilton Gaslamp.

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The railroad tracks are at least a block and a half off the waterfront, and most importantly, directly behind (away from the waterfront) the Hampton. We have also stayed at the Embassy Suites and the Hilton Gaslamp. The trains, while close, are less of a problem in those hotels. At the Hampton they shake the back half of the hotel, as the back of the hotel is right on the tracks. That is not true for the Embassy Suites or Hilton Gaslamp.

We just stayed at the Hampton.  Nice room and hotel - great location, a good free breakfast and shuttles from airport and to pier.  We stayed in a front of the hotel room and did not hear any train noise.  However, we once stayed in the back and did hear some noise, but the trains do not run much (if at all) in the late hours and we were not bothered by it.  The hotel provided earplugs for us when we stayed in the back, so this should tell you something.

As to location - the Hampton is very close to Little Italy - great place for dinner!  It is about 4 blocks to the pier and not a bad walk IMO (although we did take the free shuttle with one other couple this last trip).  Embassy Suites is about 6 blocks (other direction) from the pier.

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

At the Hampton they shake the back half of the hotel, as the back of the hotel is right on the tracks. That is not true for the Embassy Suites or Hilton Gaslamp.

I agree with you on the Embassy we have never heard anything there as the tracks curve away from the hotel.  However, not so with the Hilton Gaslamp the tracks are right outside the front door and from any room on the dog park side you look right down on top of the cars.  We usually try to stay on the Loft side away from the noise and like its only little enclave.  One Memorial Day weekend we had a room overlooking the pool at the Hard Rock directly across the street, what a show that was.  

On 5/30/2019 at 5:32 AM, DaveOKC said:

Very nice hotel, co-located with Springhill Suites - they share all the ammenities, like the free breakfast, pool, and even the same check-in desk.  It is about 2 years old and is just across from the pier (we walked our luggage to the ship in about 5 minutes).

No, they are asking about a different Residence Inn, not the one by the cruise terminal.

The Pacific Highway Residence Inn is fine, IF you are not in a room that backs up to the train/trolley tracks (see map below).

Residence Inn Pacific Highway

15 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

However, we once stayed in the back and did hear some noise, but the trains do not run much (if at all) in the late hours and we were not bothered by it.

The trolley and trains do run into the wee hours of the night. I like the Hampton Inn, but noise can be an issue. Here is a very fair review from TripAdvisor.

Plenty of Train Noise

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The trolley and trains do run into the wee hours of the night. I like the Hampton Inn, but noise can be an issue. Here is a very fair review from TripAdvisor.

Plenty of Train Noise

I did exactly what the comment said - registered as a Hilton Honors member and picked my room the day before I arrived - got a great location in the front of the hotel and by the pool/exercise room - never heard any train noises and we were there all day and evening.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

No, they are asking about a different Residence Inn, not the one by the cruise terminal.

The Pacific Highway Residence Inn is fine, IF you are not in a room that backs up to the train/trolley tracks (see map below).

Residence Inn Pacific Highway

Sorry about that - I did not know that they had two locations so close to each other in downtown area.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I did exactly what the comment said - registered as a Hilton Honors member and picked my room the day before I arrived - got a great location in the front of the hotel and by the pool/exercise room - never heard any train noises and we were there all day and evening.

You gotta love that pick your own room option on Hilton.  That's one of the reasons I'm Hilton brand loyal.  I also like the digital key option as it speeds up the check in process.  

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, DaveOKC said:

Very nice hotel, co-located with Springhill Suites - they share all the ammenities, like the free breakfast, pool, and even the same check-in desk.  It is about 2 years old and is just across from the pier (we walked our luggage to the ship in about 5 minutes).

I really liked the plae (we stated on the Springhill side) - great staff - and would stay again.  $154 is a good price IMO.  Only negative is no airport shuttle.

Thank you very much for letting me know! 

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Make sure you are looking at the right Residence Inn.  There is another one a few blocks (6-8) away. 

So do you know what the address would be for the one close to the pier?