Power Strip

Stabbing someone with a dull dinner knife is a lot harder than you'd think.

It is a lot easier than trying to hold onto a 1 1/4 inch handle with two fingers and cutting someone throat.

• 3 weeks later...

First, let me say thank you for the times be effort you put into providing information on this topic.

While I’m sure I understand what is not allowed, do you have a recommendation on an item than would be allowed that would increase the number of outlets available. I don’t believe I’ve seen that info provided.

I have a multi-USB port but that will take up one of the rare plugs available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... do you have a recommendation on an item than would be allowed ...

Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure what will be allowed anymore. They seem to be confiscating items that are not surge protected, just to be safe.

First, let me say thank you for the times be effort you put into providing information on this topic.

While I’m sure I understand what is not allowed, do you have a recommendation on an item than would be allowed that would increase the number of outlets available. I don’t believe I’ve seen that info provided.

I got, from Amazon, a travel adapter that also has 2x USB charging ports.

That way, you do not use up an outlet, and in fact, you can use one of the 220 volt outlets.

Also, most USB chargers, and laptops, are fine with 220 volt input, you will just need an adapter. Most western hemisphere people do not have 220 volt devices.

I bringing an Anker Portable Charger PowerCore . It's part of my hurricane survival gear here in Florida and will work well on the ship when we run out of outlets. It provides lot of stand alone juice for charging your devices and it doesn't take a long time to recharge when the battery gets low.

Fine how? They didn't catch it?

That unit appears to be non-surge protected. There is no mention of VPR or joules of protection, and the exploded drawing does not show the typical round disc shaped MOV used in surge protectors. So, this should be fine from an electrical and safety standpoint, and the only problem is whether or not they are blanket confiscating power strips.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure what will be allowed anymore. They seem to be confiscating items that are not surge protected, just to be safe.

Bob's right, their enforcement seems to be random as to what is allowed and what is not. I would go with an outlet adapter so your USB hub can plug into the 220v outlet, and then go with a simple outlet splitter (the rubber thing that plugs into the outlet, and has three outlets right there, no cord) for multiple 110v outlet capability.

I always use this type, below.

I put it in with my camera equipment, in my carry-on. Never had an issue.

:)

That device is surge protected, and should not be used on ships. Search threads for "surge protector" or any of my hundreds of posts regarding surge protectors. Even a perfectly fine Belkin mini, fresh out of the package, can fail with no warning because of a problem hundreds of feet away at the other end of the ship, and when they fail, they frequently go into "thermal runaway", where they overheat and start a fire, even at low currents that don't trip a circuit breaker.

Are they confiscating hamster cages with exercise wheels? I find that three hamsters is enough to power my laptop.

Are they confiscating hamster cages with exercise wheels? I find that three hamsters is enough to power my laptop.

Just declare the hamsters your service animals and you will be fine.

Don't forget to order the little service animal vests for them.:D

Unfortunately, this is about the third or fourth thread where I've responded about this device. Even though "Cruise On" makes the statement that the device is not surge protected, if you look at the photos of the back of the device, it clearly says "VPR (L-N) 800 volts". VPR (Voltage Protection Rating) is a measure of surge protection. Another CC poster who mentioned this device, when I told them about this VPR, they contacted "Cruise On", who said "the ad copy is incorrect, and will be corrected", but that was weeks ago, and the picture of the device still shows VPR on the back. I would not recommend using this on a ship.

Unfortunately, this is about the third or fourth thread where I've responded about this device. Even though "Cruise On" makes the statement that the device is not surge protected, if you look at the photos of the back of the device, it clearly says "VPR (L-N) 800 volts". VPR (Voltage Protection Rating) is a measure of surge protection. Another CC poster who mentioned this device, when I told them about this VPR, they contacted "Cruise On", who said "the ad copy is incorrect, and will be corrected", but that was weeks ago, and the picture of the device still shows VPR on the back. I would not recommend using this on a ship.

Thanks...I will cancel my order. Guess I will just take the small charger that comes with my devices. I hope they are OK. I didn't read the other thread that you posted on about this. Sorry for the repeat.

Gwen :D

Well, if someone is willing to take a chance on an $18 item, maybe we can get to the bottom of this. Finding out that the product as advertisement is misleading is a valid reason to return the item, if you are willing to go through that hassle.

Well, if someone is willing to take a chance on an $18 item, maybe we can get to the bottom of this. Finding out that the product as advertisement is misleading is a valid reason to return the item, if you are willing to go through that hassle.

Yeah, it would require sawing the unit open to see if there are MOV semi-conductors in there. I think Bob did this with a Belkin mini, and completely destroyed it.

Yeah, it would require sawing the unit open to see if there are MOV semi-conductors in there. I think Bob did this with a Belkin mini, and completely destroyed it.

Well, that is one way to do it. However, an electrician can test it without destroying it. My Dad could do it, unfortunately he died a few years ago.

The claim is that the ad is wrong. So it is possible that the label on the actual product might be different from the one that is pictured. I am sure that in your job you have seen things that are mislabeled or have confusing labels. For example, direct flights. Many people think this means non-stop. Or how about gross tons, which many people think is how much the ship weighs. Or jumbo shrimp.

Well, that is one way to do it. However, an electrician can test it without destroying it. My Dad could do it, unfortunately he died a few years ago.

The claim is that the ad is wrong. So it is possible that the label on the actual product might be different from the one that is pictured. I am sure that in your job you have seen things that are mislabeled or have confusing labels. For example, direct flights. Many people think this means non-stop. Or how about gross tons, which many people think is how much the ship weighs. Or jumbo shrimp.

Yes, with a high voltage megohmmeter, you could test this, but that's not something most folks have lying around the house.

The labeling is stamped right on the plastic case, and I would think that if the secondary supplier, "Cruise On" was so concerned that their product was "cruise friendly" as they claim, that they would have made sure before the first batch were produced with their name on it (I believe NTON the manufacturer markets the exact same unit), that the labeling would have been checked for correctness. The Intertek standards rating prominently displayed on the case is also specific to surge protected devices. And the UL and CSA standards are for power strips, both surge protected and not, that refer to further standards if the device is surge protected.

Yes, with a high voltage megohmmeter, you could test this, but that's not something most folks have lying around the house.

The labeling is stamped right on the plastic case, and I would think that if the secondary supplier, "Cruise On" was so concerned that their product was "cruise friendly" as they claim, that they would have made sure before the first batch were produced with their name on it (I believe NTON the manufacturer markets the exact same unit), that the labeling would have been checked for correctness. The Intertek standards rating prominently displayed on the case is also specific to surge protected devices. And the UL and CSA standards are for power strips, both surge protected and not, that refer to further standards if the device is surge protected.

Well, given the above, I guess there is no reason to test it. I was actually thinking of buying one to test it, but if the info is part of the case, then there is no reason to follow up. Perhaps Amazon should be warned that if a fire does develop and the person says that Amazon's own description said it was cruise ship safe, Amazon could be looking at a multi million liability claim based on false advertising.

Perhaps Amazon should be warned that if a fire does develop and the person says that Amazon's own description said it was cruise ship safe, Amazon could be looking at a multi million liability claim based on false advertising.

Yep, Amazon is such a little company that they can't afford lawyers who have ensured that they are protected from any liability claims from products they neither design, manufacture, or package..... NOT

Just like cruise lines haven't protected themselves from any liability for itinerary changes

Well, given the above, I guess there is no reason to test it. I was actually thinking of buying one to test it, but if the info is part of the case, then there is no reason to follow up. Perhaps Amazon should be warned that if a fire does develop and the person says that Amazon's own description said it was cruise ship safe, Amazon could be looking at a multi million liability claim based on false advertising.

And this is not the first power strip I've seen advertised on Amazon as being non-surge protected, yet when I go to the manufacturer's website, it clearly states that it is. The problem is that Amazon uses secondary suppliers, you know, those "available from 8 vendors", and use their advertising copy.

I have reported this item to Amazon and asked a question on the product's Amazon page. The seller told me they would investigate and change it but nothing has changed and it must have been a couple months. Maybe if more people called them on it something would be done. The questions section and reviews are interesting. They do say it is now unavailable,

• 4 months later...

Allocacoc PowerCube Accessory 1900/USRW4P 5-Outlet ReWirable 4 Plugs Electronic Consumer Electronics

Amazon: http://a.co/d/1VXJcHj

Manufacturer: https://www.allocacoc.com/Home/Home/Product/detail/product_id/87

Goals:

1. Multiple Outlets to support notebook PC and camera

2. USB charging ports to charge iPhone

3. No surge protection to comply with USCG warnings and RCI policy