Hotels in Venice

Sammie08

Sounds like you were unlucky as we had a lovely room overlooking the canal and our daughters family room equally so. I agree it's not plush, but is typical Italian and rarely are rooms comparable due to the age of the buildings. As a place to rest your head pre cruise with quick connection to the people mover good value for money.

I’ve stayed at Hotel Arlecchino. It is next door to hotel Olympia. Great location. Convenient to airport and ship. Easy to get to st marks also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess you need to ask your self what are you staying in Venice two nights for after your cruise. Is it to be close to the airport? Train station? Cheap transportation? More than likely if you are like me you want to see Venice and the Main Attractions are in or close to St. Marks Square. The best advice I received was to stay as close to St. Marks Square as possible, it was wonderful. Nothing, like sitting in the square in the evening with the crowds gone listing to the music, sipping on a nice glass of wine. I could walk to every attraction I wanted to see except one and that was the Marano Glass Factory the hotel arranged for a private water taxi to take us there for free. Watched in disbelief people with luggage getting off the public transportation, others wasting time standing in lines to get off and on boats to site see. You only have two nights in one of the most beautiful cities in the world make the most of it.

I guess you need to ask your self what are you staying in Venice two nights for after your cruise. Is it to be close to the airport? Train station? Cheap transportation? More than likely if you are like me you want to see Venice and the Main Attractions are in or close to St. Marks Square. The best advice I received was to stay as close to St. Marks Square as possible, it was wonderful. Nothing, like sitting in the square in the evening with the crowds gone listing to the music, sipping on a nice glass of wine. I could walk to every attraction I wanted to see except one and that was the Marano Glass Factory the hotel arranged for a private water taxi to take us there for free. Watched in disbelief people with luggage getting off the public transportation, others wasting time standing in lines to get off and on boats to site see. You only have two nights in one of the most beautiful cities in the world make the most of it.

That's why we like the Locando Orseolo as it is about a 5 minute walk from St Mark's Square and you can arrive by water taxi and they have a special 'door' where you can enter the hotel - tides permitting. We haven't even stayed there yet but are in love with the place - ha ha.

We've stayed in Venice on many occasions both pre and post cruise.

Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal has always been good ---2 minutes walk to St Marks. The problem is that it is expensive and the restaurant (which does delicious food) is very pricey; it is one of the best eating places in Venice!

The rooms allocated to cruise companies seemed small so we soon decided to book larger ones through our TA.

Those on the Grand Canal are good ----amazing views and there's always so much going on outside!

On our last visit we chose a large suit without a canal view. Excellent.

On one visit we stayed at the Molino Stucky. Our canal view room was very small. Not good. We didn't like the restaurants there either. Still, it was an interesting experience staying a boat ride away from the tourist areas.

Yes, the speedy taxi boat is a fine option. It is just over 100 euros one way but.... wind in your hair, the throttle wide open as you bounce over the lagoon.... a James Bond moment! Wow!

Having said all that about the hotels and so on, we're visiting Venice for a long weekend in December and will be trying out a different hotel: Sina Centurion Palace. Variety is the spice of life!

Enjoy Venice!

We also stayed at the Royal Monaco & Grand Canal and definitely agree that it is very pricey. Our room was bigenough but overlooked the gondola station. Kind of romantic normally,but it also serves as the delivery dock starting around 4:00AM - couldn't help but be noisy at that time.

One thing to consider about the food, which was very good AND very expensive, is that there is no such thing as lunch portions. At least during our visit. So if you just want a quick bite before going exploring in the afternoon that's not the place for it. Better to get a couple of blocks off St Mark's where you'll find plenty of cafes that will fill that need.

We have used Hotel Antiche Figure and its associated hotel Canal Grande: two boutique hotels almost opposite the railway station on the Grand Canal. Both hotels proved excellent B&B only and full of character. In my mind, nothing beats arriving at your hotel in Venice by water taxi from the airport. Perhaps it is expensive but it is a great experience.

• 1 month later...
We have used Hotel Antiche Figure and its associated hotel Canal Grande: two boutique hotels almost opposite the railway station on the Grand Canal. Both hotels proved excellent B&B only and full of character. In my mind, nothing beats arriving at your hotel in Venice by water taxi from the airport. Perhaps it is expensive but it is a great experience.
Thank you for the recommendation. We will look into those. We have had a busy summer and are rather late in planning this trip. Time to catch up! The water taxi sounds fun!!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

https://www.hotelbucintoro.com/

We stayed here it is on the water bus route from the cruise terminal and to the airport. Delightful and charming.

What beautiful views!!!! Thank you for the suggestion. We have never been to Venice and appreciate the suggestion. We have been overwhelmed by all the different areas and choices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I’ve stayed at Hotel Arlecchino. It is next door to hotel Olympia. Great location. Convenient to airport and ship. Easy to get to st marks also.

Ditto on the Arlecchino. Small rooms, but cheap and "good enough" overall. Easy access to everywhere.

We were in Venice two years ago. The cruise ship port is 110 euros to Venice. Their are many hotels in Venice that are 300 to 400 euros per night. They are 4 and 5 star hotels. My wife and i stayed at a Marriott. To go from hotel in Venice to the airport is another 110 euros.

WOW! We have been to Venice about a dozen times (on both cruises and land driving trips) and have never paid 110€ from the Port to Venice. In fact, it is about 1.50€ from the Port to Venice..which is the cost of the efficient People Mover. It can even be free if you enjoy walking about a mile. Another option is to use the Alilaguna Line which actually has a dock at the Port and that would cost you about 8€ (single trip). Many cruise lines also offer boat shuttle service from the Port directly to St Marks Square...although we think the cost (about 25€ for unlimited use) is too expensive. Personally we recommend the cheap People Mover coupled with a Vaporetto (ACTV) Pass that best best suits the time you will be in Venice. That Vaporetto Pass can take you anywhere around Venice and to all the islands in the Lagoon. A 2 day unlimited Vaporetto Pass is only 30€ per person and a bargain when you consider it is for unlimited use. Even a week in Venice would cost nowhere near the 110€ you paid for a single trip.

As to Venice hotels, there is no need to spend 300-400€ per night. For example, one of our favorite little hotels (Ca Doge) is about 200€ a night (including a decent breakfast) and is located right in the Piazale Roma. There are plenty of other hotels and inns around Venice that have rooms for less than 200€ per night and there are even decent (not luxurious) places for under 100€ per night.

Hank

If you don’t mind breaking the bank stay at the Gritti Palace. We stayed 2 nights and snagged a decent deal that included the breakfast buffet. It’s on the Grand Canal, near St Marks square. We ate outdoors right on the canal and the buffet included unlimited Champagne/mimosas. We sat there for over 2 hours watching the action on the Grand Canal, sipping coffee and mimosas. It is one of our best vacation memories.

We were in Venice two years ago. The cruise ship port is 110 euros to Venice. Their are many hotels in Venice that are 300 to 400 euros per night. They are 4 and 5 star hotels. My wife and i stayed at a Marriott. To go from hotel in Venice to the airport is another 110 euros.

Boy oh boy...

The people mover from port to Piazzale Roma is 1.50 Euro.

The ATVO Airport Express bus from Piazzale Roma to Marco Polo Airport is 13.00 Euro

But yes, hotels can be expensive.

If you don’t mind breaking the bank stay at the Gritti Palace. We stayed 2 nights and snagged a decent deal that included the breakfast buffet. It’s on the Grand Canal, near St Marks square. We ate outdoors right on the canal and the buffet included unlimited Champagne/mimosas. We sat there for over 2 hours watching the action on the Grand Canal, sipping coffee and mimosas. It is one of our best vacation memories.

Second this recommendation. Unbelievable nice hotel, but it is VERY pricey. My fiance and I stayed here for two nights in June after our cruise. The private water taxi from the port will drop you off right at the hotels dock.

Also, for a delicious 'locals' meal go to Trattoria Al Gazzentino.

We did this a month ago. Stayed at Hotel Campiello which is just steps from St. Mark's but on a very quiet side street. Took the Alilaguna from the cruise port for EUR 8 for each of us and it is about 50 feet to the hotel from the St. Mark's stop. Free breakfast, wifi worked great. It was about EUR 250 per night. Would recommend it and would stay there again.

That's why we like the Locando Orseolo as it is about a 5 minute walk from St Mark's Square and you can arrive by water taxi and they have a special 'door' where you can enter the hotel - tides permitting. We haven't even stayed there yet but are in love with the place - ha ha.

We stayed at the Locando Orseolo for three nights and loved it. So near St. Mark’s Square and the included breakfast was great.

We stayed at the Locando Orseolo for three nights and loved it. So near St. Mark’s Square and the included breakfast was great.

That's good to know --- have to say all reviews we have read are excellent. I think it is now 4th on TripAdvisor for Venice so must be doing something right. :)

We would always recommend the Hotel American Dinesen in Dorsoduro.

We have stayed there frequently over many, many years.

It is convenient for the Grand Canal, Accademia and the Guggenheim.

It is an easy walk to St Marks Square and to the Giudecca ( restaurants, bars, churches).

Easy to get to the Alilaguna stop ( not far from the end of the street) for transfer to/from the airport.

Big on Airbnb. We had a two bedroom private courtyard apartment right next to the music museum for about $ 125.00 a night!

Here's a photo of the courtyard

5d5naf.jpg

sg3143.jpg

2guyww3.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Just a few months ago we stayed in Hotel Olympia by Piazza Roma. Excellent location, nice rooms, wonderful stuff and very good breakfast - highly recommended. We walked to everything in Venice. What a memories!

Stayed there a few years ago and said never again. Booked the same room category as friends and ended up with a MUCH smaller room that had a double bed, not queen as expected, and was pushed against the wall on one side or you wouldn't have been able to walk through the room. Very disappointing! But many seem to recommend it so maybe we got the one oddball room and the rest are fine.

At issue seems to be that often in Europe, hotels are in older buildings that have been converted so often had odd layouts. This results in rooms that usually are not cookie cutter versions of each other like we tend to expect in the US. We apparently just got very unlucky on that trip. Since then we usually choose to pay more to select a room that specifically says king sized bed, or has "suite" in the room description. Stayed at the Ruzzini Palace hotel on a subsequent visit to Rome and it was fabulous.