Princess Cays Advice Needed

bumbletigger

We purchased the Ultimate Beverage Package for our upcoming cruise. Is it honored on Princess Cays or do we pay for our adult beverages ?

It is honored for alcoholic drinks. If you want soda you will be charged, since they only have canned soda at Princess Cays.

A tip on dining

There are two areas which serve lunch. One is to the left as you leave the tender. This one is the most crowded. The other is across the bridge to the right. It is smaller and has less people. This area also has 'street' wagons that have tacos and other selections that are not in the buffet lines. We liked this area better.

I would like to hear more about the snorkeling excursion.

What is it like... Is it more rough open water? Is there a somewhat shallow reef?

The excursion is away from shore, but you can see a shoreline (just not Princess Cays). The water depends on the weather. Some visits are choppier than others. It's not shallow enough to stand (which you wouldn't do anyway) but there is a nice large area to roam and spread out once you're in the water and there is plenty to see. To get in and out of the water you use a platform - no steps or ladder. Again, it's for experienced snorkelers only. You have to be comfortable in deep water, comfortable with using a snorkel and fins without guidance, and a good swimmer.

Keep in mind that this is a tender port. While they have changed the tender process and now have two larger ferries from the dock in addition to the ship's lifeboats, there is still a pretty good chance that wind and waves will cause the visit to be cancelled for safety. They have to consider the weather in the morning and also what they think it will be like in the afternoon when trying to get everyone back on board. Getting on and off a tender or ferry in wind and waves is not fun. There is a high risk of injuries.

We've cruised on Princess numerous times and we are running about a 50% average of being able to goto Princess Cays. It really is up to the conditions that day.

You won't know until the morning of. The ship will drop anchor, and they will send out staff to assess. If they are considering cancelling, the Captain will come on the announcements and let everyone know the assessment plan. A couple announcements later they will tell you yes or no. Otherwise they will announce that tendering operations have begun.

Just don't set your heart on it, as it may not occur.

A tip on dining

There are two areas which serve lunch. One is to the left as you leave the tender. This one is the most crowded. The other is across the bridge to the right. It is smaller and has less people. This area also has 'street' wagons that have tacos and other selections that are not in the buffet lines. We liked this area better.

We were just there in March and I never saw the "street wagons". The only food I saw provided was the buffet in the large food building. Where are they located? and is it the same provided food as in the buffet at no charge?

We were just there in March and I never saw the "street wagons". The only food I saw provided was the buffet in the large food building. Where are they located? and is it the same provided food as in the buffet at no charge?

We were there 3 times in January and February this year. The wagons were there at that time. Cross the bridge to the right that goes to the smaller beach area. Walk past the buffet area. There were three wagons serving tacos, I think hot dogs with a selection of toppings and some other items that are not offered in the buffet lines. There is no charge. These wagons were also there in 2016 when we made stops at P.C. I also remember them in 2014 when we did the Caribbean.

We were there 3 times in January and February this year. The wagons were there at that time. Cross the bridge to the right that goes to the smaller beach area. Walk past the buffet area. There were three wagons serving tacos, I think hot dogs with a selection of toppings and some other items that are not offered in the buffet lines. There is no charge. These wagons were also there in 2016 when we made stops at P.C. I also remember them in 2014 when we did the Caribbean.

Thanks...we normally go left towards the larger buffet area. I would prefer a couple of good tacos for lunch.

Hello all Princess Experts!

We are willing to forgo one or more of there is a go to place that is amazing for one or more of what is listed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is nothing amazing about Princess Cays. It ranks towards the bottom of the list of "Private Island" offerings from the cruise lines. You will see nicer beaches during your port calls. The food is sub-par picnic food [basically hamburgers and hot dogs]. Recreation options are limited. And if you want to actually get away from this spot they are holding you hostage all day to get souvenier and drink revenue from you, there are very few choices.

You will find most people who have been there before don't even get off the ship.

I thought I recall that Princess is upgrading some features on Princess Cays. Even then, it's still a very nice stop. Although the food is basic, it is look going to a good barbecue. Also, they have a few food trucks with some tasty options. I do agree that one might consider shoes for the water. However, the sandy beaches are quite nice and when we last there, it was easy to find shade on the loungers are there are trees and some roofed areas. If you want a relaxing day at the beach, this works for me!

The food is sub-par picnic food [basically hamburgers and hot dogs].

Not saying that the food was gourmet but what did you expect on a beach other than a salad, hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, chicken & a dessert of brownies, cupcakes & cookies?

It's a beach.

How does the purchase of pina coladas and similar frozen drinks work on Princess Cays? Just swipe your ship card? Also, does anyone know if this is the same island used by Holland America and Carnival since they're all owned by the same company? Thanks!

How does the purchase of pina coladas and similar frozen drinks work on Princess Cays? Just swipe your ship card? Also, does anyone know if this is the same island used by Holland America and Carnival since they're all owned by the same company? Thanks!

Just hand the bar tenders your card. It goes on your account.

I don't know if HAL or Carnival ever stopped at Princess Cays, but when you are there it will be only your ship. It's one ship at a time. All the food is carried from the ship to shore and is free. Drinks like lemonade and ice tea are also free. Drinks you purchase on board have to be purchased on Princess Cays. I don't think your Princess ship wants to share their food with others.