Me, #theboy, and the unwanted guest on Allure

Thank you for your concerns everyone! Very much appreciated. Have sought medical attention and am happy to report it appears to just be anxiety as everything else looks good! I learned today that typically it is the right arm that feels numb when having a heart attack, and it can be a sign of a stroke when the left arm feels numb or tingly. I can't recall if I mentioned that on the plane it was my left arm feeling tingly.

You have that backwards, left arm is heart attack. Also women tend to have more atypical symptoms. Glad you're ok.

Mobile passport will get you out of the terminal just as fast when the cruise is over.

I will mention this later in my review. Don't steal my thunder, sir! (Spoiler alert... nah... never mind... you're all going to have to keep reading...)

So glad to hear about a good medical visit. I have had a panic attack or three and they are not pleasant. Looking forward to more of your grand adventure. Keep the sarcasm coming. Love it!

Thank you. I guess I should be happy to say that in my 49 years on this planet I have not experienced anything like it before which is probably why I had difficulty identifying it. I also, sadly, have two good friends battling stage 4 colon cancer, so whenever anything doesn't feel right in my tummy area I freak out that I too have been afflicted. Dr. Google should be disbarred. He is the devil.

You have that backwards, left arm is heart attack. Also women tend to have more atypical symptoms. Glad you're ok.

Interesting. Perhaps I heard wrong. Great. Here comes another anxiety attack. (OK... just kidding. I hope.)

I’ve activated mobile pass for the last eight cruises out of FTL and only been able to use it once - always told not activated. Used to hurry off, now leave carryoff luggage in room, go have a nice breakfast and then grab luggage and depart with number 35 or so. Never the lines and don’t need mobile pass as - of course, we get off with folks who have to stop and locate their luggage, so we get ahead of the line.

Have noticed that my luggage is lasting much longer now that my single suitcase boards and debarks with me. Took years to get me down to one suitcase, but so much easier.

I get occasional nerve pinches in my left shoulder when I neglect my workouts, which I must admit I've been doing. So I just need to get my butt to the gym more regularly to work on that,

One last bit of medical advise, you might want to have a neurosurgeon check out those 'nerve pinches'. Could be a slipped disk. Mine was.

One last bit of medical advise, you might want to have a neurosurgeon check out those 'nerve pinches'. Could be a slipped disk. Mine was.

I've had TWO of them bad boys. And two subsequent surgeries. I hear you.

Now that we've lost all of the 30 year olds who either think this crap won't happen to them later in life, or are too flipped out by it to continue reading, I'll carry on with my review. Quick side note to those 30 year olds... I was a triathlete... I still got old. It just plain sucks.

Now that we've lost all of the 30 year olds who either think this crap won't happen to them later in life, or are too flipped out by it to continue reading, I'll carry on with my review. Quick side note to those 30 year olds... I was a triathlete... I still got old. It just plain sucks.

So how was the cruise. We now know all the HIPPA stuff we are not supposed too.

We want to know about that unwanted guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know this won't shock any of you who've sailed before, but the lines to the Windjammer were unreal. Thankfully we weren’t hungry after our fantastic crepe breakfast in Hollywood so we just explored the ship. Finally grabbed a sandwich at the not-at-all-crowded Park Café. The cabin was ready at 1:00 on the nose. The suitcase didn’t arrive until after muster drill but no big deal. Muster drill was inside in the restaurant, not outside on deck which was FABULOUS! We didn't have to watch anyone faint or die of heat stroke.

Quick note: Having not sailed on Royal for 2 years, I’m not sure when it changed, but if you have the drink package they don’t make you sign for bottled water any more. And they will give you more than one at a time!

Quick note number two: I'd like to share my personal take on the drink package: Juices = $7.25 at Vitality Cafe. (For those who don't know, because I don't think many ships have juice bars, this is a place where you can order fresh pressed fruit and vegetable juices. We aren't just talking the fresh OJ on most ships. I ordered apple, carrot, celery, and ginger one day. Apple, cucumber, celery another day. We are talking fresh pressed to order.) Double Latte at Park Café = $4.25. Each bottle of water is around $2. A few lattes, a visit to the juice bar, at least 5 bottles of water a day is a little over $25. Add three alcoholic drinks, a few sodas, and you’ve just made the deluxe drink package very much worth it. I got my money’s worth for sure! Back to the review...

#theboy and I enjoyed sail away on our balcony, then headed downstairs to my time dining on deck 3 aft. There was a little bit of a wait, it was a little chaotic, but we were seated reasonably quickly after arriving at 6:45. Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail were very enjoyable. Prime rib entrée was mediocre at best. Have had much better at Longhorn Steakhouse. The gentleman next to us sent his salmon back and ordered something else. I had the pear/blueberry cobbler for dessert but it was more of a crisp, and not a very well done one at that. The fruit was ok, but the topping was terrible. Nicholas very much enjoyed his chocolate cake. Dinner felt rushed and I could tell the waiters were running their tails off. They work hard, but it was not an enjoyable and relaxing experience. But the first night is always a little crazy, right? Overall, dinner Coulda Been Worse.

After dinner #theboy went to the Living Room to hang out with teens. In the Living Room is a special Compass just for the teen activities. Not well publicized if you don’t know to look for it.

I took this time to wander the various venues. Schooner bar had trivia which was fun for a while, the champagne bar wasn’t very exciting, so I finally wandered into Bow and Stern Pub. Friendly bartenders made me something yummy when I said “surprise me”. He said it was a “Sexy Ocean” I think. Left there and wandered some more, ending up at the Rising Tide bar. Decided to head back to the cabin by 11:30, and Nicholas was already in bed. I decided that was a good idea.

I know this won't shock any of you who've sailed before, but the lines to the Windjammer were unreal. Thankfully we weren’t hungry after our fantastic crepe breakfast in Hollywood so we just explored the ship. Finally grabbed a sandwich at the not-at-all-crowded Park Café. The cabin was ready at 1:00 on the nose. The suitcase didn’t arrive until after muster drill but no big deal. Muster drill was inside in the restaurant, not outside on deck which was FABULOUS! We didn't have to watch anyone faint or die of heat stroke.

Quick note: Having not sailed on Royal for 2 years, I’m not sure when it changed, but if you have the drink package they don’t make you sign for bottled water any more. And they will give you more than one at a time!

Quick note number two: I'd like to share my personal take on the drink package: Juices = $7.25 at Vitality Cafe. (For those who don't know, because I don't think many ships have juice bars, this is a place where you can order fresh pressed fruit and vegetable juices. We aren't just talking the fresh OJ on most ships. I ordered apple, carrot, celery, and ginger one day. Apple, cucumber, celery another day. We are talking fresh pressed to order.) Double Latte at Park Café = $4.25. Each bottle of water is around $2. A few lattes, a visit to the juice bar, at least 5 bottles of water a day is a little over $25. Add three alcoholic drinks, a few sodas, and you’ve just made the deluxe drink package very much worth it. I got my money’s worth for sure! Back to the review...

#theboy and I enjoyed sail away on our balcony, then headed downstairs to my time dining on deck 3 aft. There was a little bit of a wait, it was a little chaotic, but we were seated reasonably quickly after arriving at 6:45. Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail were very enjoyable. Prime rib entrée was mediocre at best. Have had much better at Longhorn Steakhouse. The gentleman next to us sent his salmon back and ordered something else. I had the pear/blueberry cobbler for dessert but it was more of a crisp, and not a very well done one at that. The fruit was ok, but the topping was terrible. Nicholas very much enjoyed his chocolate cake. Dinner felt rushed and I could tell the waiters were running their tails off. They work hard, but it was not an enjoyable and relaxing experience. But the first night is always a little crazy, right? Overall, dinner Coulda Been Worse.

After dinner #theboy went to the Living Room to hang out with teens. In the Living Room is a special Compass just for the teen activities. Not well publicized if you don’t know to look for it.

I took this time to wander the various venues. Schooner bar had trivia which was fun for a while, the champagne bar wasn’t very exciting, so I finally wandered into Bow and Stern Pub. Friendly bartenders made me something yummy when I said “surprise me”. He said it was a “Sexy Ocean” I think. Left there and wandered some more, ending up at the Rising Tide bar. Decided to head back to the cabin by 11:30, and Nicholas was already in bed. I decided that was a good idea.

Guessing #theboy is really Nicholas?

Guessing #theboy is really Nicholas?

We have a winner!!! Nicholas is my youngest son. He is 13. I also have a 14 year old (almost 15) who is traveling with my husband/his father on a Boy Scout campout this same week. Our first vacations apart. Which has added to my anxiety, much to my surprise. I didn't expect it to be emotionally taxing, but it was.

We now know all the HIPPA stuff we are not supposed too.

The unwanted guest will show up soon. And sadly you'll have to learn a little bit more about my personal medical info before we get there. It is HIPAA, by the way. Not HIPPA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. But I trust you all with this information. I know you'll keep it in the strictest of confidence. That's what we as a Cruise Critic family do, right?

Enjoying the review so far! I’m so glad everything turned out well for you. I agree with those who recommended you get it checked out, better safe than sorry! I hope that whoever this unwanted guest is did not affect your vacation too much, Allure is a magnificent ship and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Can’t wait to read more, and my sincere well wishes to you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had TWO of them bad boys. And two subsequent surgeries. I hear you.

I had disk surgery in 2000 and 2010.

I had rotater cuff surgery in 2012 and 2016

I had all four tendons in my right hand reattached in 2014. I know a lot of physical therapists.

My orthopedic surgeon says I live an active life.

Two cataract surgeries next month.

I had disk surgery in 2000 and 2010.

I had rotater cuff surgery in 2012 and 2016

I had all four tendons in my right hand reattached in 2014. I know a lot of physical therapists.

My orthopedic surgeon says I live an active life.

Two cataract surgeries next month.

:o:o:o

Lots of people jumping on OP for the heart attack thing. I think she's got the point. Although, I'm not a worrier in any sense, but I seriously was thinking "When does one mentally just decide they aren't having a heart attack and don't need assistance if they think they are having a heart attack?"

But I'm going to wait for more trip report info.

I'll answer that, but first things first. OP, it's great news to hear all is well. A heart condition is nothing to ignore.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread but for me, I just knew. Call it scared or whatever. It wasn't a 'grabber' but rather a tremendous amount of pressure. Like someone sitting on my chest. I could barely breath. And for some weird reason my jaw muscles began to ache. I drove home though persuading myself not to go asleep for fear I wouldn't wake up. So I quickly googled symptons of a heart attack and I had 7 of the top 10. I asked the wife to take me in. They immediately identified a heart attck not by EKG, but by enzyme levels in my blood. Boom... stint city here I am! I'm better now w/ my blood pressure under control, stopped smokng immediately, and a better diet. It's been about 15 months, or by my count, two cruises. LOL

Now back to the review.

I'll answer that, but first things first. OP, it's great news to hear all is well. A heart condition is nothing to ignore.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread but for me, I just knew. Call it scared or whatever. It wasn't a 'grabber' but rather a tremendous amount of pressure. Like someone sitting on my chest. I could barely breath. And for some weird reason my jaw muscles began to ache. I drove home though persuading myself not to go asleep for fear I wouldn't wake up. So I quickly googled symptons of a heart attack and I had 7 of the top 10. I asked the wife to take me in. They immediately identified a heart attck not by EKG, but by enzyme levels in my blood. Boom... stint city here I am! I'm better now w/ my blood pressure under control, stopped smokng immediately, and a better diet. It's been about 15 months, or by my count, two cruises. LOL

Now back to the review.

May God continue to bless you and keep you here with your family and enjoying all that life has to offer!

We have a winner!!! Nicholas is my youngest son. He is 13. I also have a 14 year old (almost 15) who is traveling with my husband/his father on a Boy Scout campout this same week. Our first vacations apart. Which has added to my anxiety, much to my surprise. I didn't expect it to be emotionally taxing, but it was.

Do you happen to have copies of any of those teen Compasses? Mine will be 16 when we sail the on the Allure, but it is our first time on RCI so I'd love to have an idea of the teen activities. TIA!