Opinion on Regent TA cruise

Lyndihop

We are looking at a ‘19 TA on the Explorer next year. It’s a 14 day from Lisbon to Miami. We’ve only ever done a Celebrity TA on a large ship. Just wondering how the smaller ship fairs across the Atlantic? And also entertainment.? We’re not gamblers.

We are looking at a ‘19 TA on the Explorer next year. It’s a 14 day from Lisbon to Miami. We’ve only ever done a Celebrity TA on a large ship. Just wondering how the smaller ship fairs across the Atlantic? And also entertainment.? We’re not gamblers.

You will feel the motion of the ocean more in a smaller ship, at least as to pitch. Rolling and yaw motion is not that much difference. But I guess it depend on whether or not you are prone to getting seasick. I have done the "Crossing" many times on Regent and most recently this last Spring on the Explorer. IMO it ride fine. But I never get seasick or even a little queasy. I did observe quite a few people with the patch behind their ear.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by entertainment? Lecturers, Productions shows, Guest performers, music, etc. What are your criteria?

J

Did the TA on Explorer in November 2016 and again in 2017. We had mid ship accommodations and love it both times. I wear wristbands and very rarely have any seasickness. But you never know.

Did a TA on a large Celebrity ship in November 2012 with friends. That ship started rocking and rolling in the Med. Perfume and liquor shelves collapsed and the stores were a mess. Go figure!!

Sheila

Did a TA on Explorer in November, 2016 and will do another one on Explorer next year (also doing a Voyager TA this November). We have also done TA's in the spring but found the seas calmer in November (go figure). There is plenty to do on the ship...... we love Explorer and can't wait to be onboard her again!

I have done TAs on many ships of different sizes. Smallest was the Navigator. Then Mariner, Voyager and the Pretoria Castle. Largest was the old Queen Mary. I use sea bands and in spite of some rough weather on all of these cruises I haven’t had a problem...yet! Sea bands are great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done 2 TA, one on Voyager, and one on the Oceania Insignia. I am prone to motion sickness, so I wear the patch. I had no issues at all on Voyager. On Insignia, we hit very bad storms, as the ship went a northerly route to Canada, and we were shipbound (not allowed outside) for a couple of days. One evening, there was a poltergeist in our cabin, throwing glassware around and breaking things in the bathroom. Very exciting. Even during that, the patch did its job and I was not queasy at all. I think if you are prepared, and have the right cabin, you should be fine. Hopefully, the weather gods will cooperate!

I would not hesitate to do another TA. They is lots to do, with cooking demonstrations, wine tastings, trivia, lectures, etc.

I've done two TA's. The first was on Cunard's QM2 from NYC to Southampton. We were racing Super Storm Hercules across the North Atlantic. She was a magnificent ocean liner in every sense of the word. She is very stable. I am a poor sailor. I only got sick once. I considered that a great crossing.

The next crossing was on Cunard's Queen Victoria, which is a medium-sized cruise ship and not an ocean liner like the QM2. We took the southerly route out of Southampton across the Bay of Biscay with a stop in Cape Verde then on to Cape Canaveral. I knew we were in trouble when the Captain suggested anti-nausea measures as we were sailing down the river. The Bay of Biscay lived up to it's nasty reputation. I also picked the year when Hurricane Arthur decided to form in the Atlantic in January. There hadn't been a hurricane in the winter since 1934. I have the worst luck. We beat out of Cape Verde early to skirt the edge of the storm, but there was an awful swell as a result of the storm. I spent five days in bed wanting to die. I had patches, bands, ginger and homeopathic remedies. None of them worked. I guess I should have reported to sick bay for a shot. The only thing that helped was a change of sea state. I am the only person in the World that lost five pounds on a cruise. That's losing weight the hard way.

My crossing days and open ocean days are done. I have to cruise in areas that stay close to shore. Too bad, I really enjoyed the vastness of the experience. Do it if you are a good sailor. If you are like me, a poor sailor, no way.

I will say that we found lots to do on a TA when I wasn't wanting to die.

There is no reason to feel seasick as there are so many solutions to the issue on the market. My DH uses an electronic band (very effective) and when the Captain thinks that there will rough seas, we take 1/2 of a Sturgeon (may be misspelled) and we're fine (and do not become sleepy).

Not sure that comparing Celebrity or Cunard is helpful as every ship is different. For instance, in order of stability in rough seas, the most stable ship in Regent's fleet is the Mariner - followed by Explorer, Voyager and Navigator (I'm basing this on 31 Regent cruises and also the opinion of a Regent Staff Captain).

Probably true about the "order of stability" in the Regent ships. That said - we had a few days of choppy seas when on the Navigator and were bounced around a bit but not excessively. It wouldn't be my first choice for a cruise though because it is so small. The itinerary would have to be wonderfully interesting to take the Nav. again! And you can't say that about a TA.

Hi Lyndihop,

We have done about ten crossings, two on the Voyager and about eight with Silversea. We only experienced very, very rough seas once (out of Lisbon), on Silversea—35 ft swells and 75 mph winds.

However, have never had mal de mer/seasickness but take meclinzine/Bonnie daily.

Entertainment on Regent crossings is outstanding. We enjoy the country fair put on by the crew and where guests compete in fun games on the pool deck (some photos below). Also, they most likely will have an ice carving demonstration. And, the entertainment staff led by cruise director including entertainers will have crazy fun games to play almost daily throughout your crossing. And often the ship’s officers compete against the guests as Hotel Director Franck Galaxy below shows his game winning form.

For many Regent crossings, guests especially enjoy the guest Lecturers. Checked two upcoming crossings this year on the Navigator and Voyager. The lecturers are a Marine scientist, Phd; and one the best guest lecturers Regent employs, Terry Bishop.

Plus on many Regent crossings, since there are many seadays, you will probably have a spotlight on Bridge for the Bridge players.

Finally, after 400+ days of cruising and visits to dozens and dozens of ports, we know of a very, special Lisbon private guide (Jorge Bras—retired HS history teacher, and Portuguese veteran of the Falkland conflict) who is by far the best private guide we have experienced. Let me know if you would like his contact information.

c29d41eaac4442a096e3ec23b04ca407.jpg

252469c02e6cf0a83884574558b79e30.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

For reports on recent TransAtlantic crossings on two of Regent's ships see the following threads:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615801

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2620550

These were both Spring crossings, whereas I think you are considering an Autumn crossing. Not much difference in our opinion, although going westbound you gain hours instead of losing time going eastbound.

Hope this helps in your decision making. Have a great cruise :cool:

Susan/David/flossie009; thanks for sharing your recent very well done crossing threads.

Lyndihop, on other entertainment feature forgot to add, as I was thinking about your name while walking our dogs this morning. Y’all may like dancing (Lyndi). Almost daily at 2pm a different members (usualy a male/female entertainer) teach ball room dance classes (east coast/west coast swing, cha cha, rumba, waltz, foxtrot). Pls see Ida and on our Mariner cruise earlier this year enjoying one of the classes. Also, Ida using her dance lessons with a fellow guest (second photo)

We have over 20 days at sea during our Mariner Pacific crossing to Tahiti later this year (Oct/Nov) and we expect to enjoy multiple ballroom dance classes.

e839571378bf5f7e3f05ff0fdc8417f2.jpg

e55e0e975d9d77222fae91175d4f3222.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am very susceptible to motion sickness. We did a TA on Explorer last spring. I do not remember having any problem with motion sickness on the crossing. I do take an OTC for motion sickness but I think I was able to quit that after a couple of days.

It will be great fun with lots to do. On our crossing there were two sets of lectures. One on color and music which I thoroughly enjoyed.

We did a TA on the Mariner in April 2018. From Malaga until we got to Bermuda (5 days) the seas were rocking and rolling. No outside activities could be done. The walk across deck 11 to the Veranda was impossible. We had to go down one deck and then up to get there. Shows were cancelled because of the turbulence. Everyone was so glad to get to Bermuda!

Yes we have crossed many times on many ships and sometimes the ocean is like glass. Guess you have to be lucky!