Do they take your passport on the South America cruise (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay)?

zitsky

It is just a paper that has your room number on it and your signature that they have collected it. Then you sign another one when you pick it up. But, it would be a good idea to have some kind of scanner for cruise card........you are brilliant!!

Plus, I am signed in, I will have to figure out how to take off the blinking eye!! Doing it right now.

Edit options. Uncheck Show avatars.

I like looking at people's signatures but I don't like animation.

Don’t they also take them on cruises to Honduras, Harvest Caye and Mexico? Just want to give my wife a heads up, as she just got her first passport this year and may get a little freaked out about someone taking it from her. I had to do this each day I went to a certain facility in Israel in the past, so I am used to it.

Don’t they also take them on cruises to Honduras, Harvest Caye and Mexico? Just want to give my wife a heads up, as she just got her first passport this year and may get a little freaked out about someone taking it from her. I had to do this each day I went to a certain facility in Israel in the past, so I am used to it.

Never had it taken in Mexico or Honduras. Cruised to both in November.

Are you giving this advice just in case, in the remote chance, the passport is lost or stolen while in possession of the cruise line?

Not at all, to me it is logical to have cover just in case it is lost or stolen at any time when one is out of one's own country.

Not at all, to me it is logical to have cover just in case it is lost or stolen at any time when one is out of one's own country.

Agreed, I always have a copy of mine in a separate bag AND I leave a copy at home where someone could get to it if need be.

I have no idea if a copy would be helpful in the event my actual was lost or stolen, fortunately, that has not happened to me. I just feel better having a copy.

One thing though; make sure you have a copy on your computer and also at least one physical copy whenever you are travelling.

Mike is right.

On our cruise from Australia, Indonesia and Southern Asia. NCL did hold our passports for some ports like Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. In fact, we did an overnight tour in Bangkok and the hotel wanted our passports when we were checking in. We all have ship cards and some did have copies of passports. We had the tour guide come in and explain that we all came from the cruise ship and that the ship has our passports as per immigration. It all went smoothly after that. We got our passports a day before arriving in Hong Kong.

Are you giving this advice just in case, in the remote chance, the passport is lost or stolen while in possession of the cruise line?

I agree it is logical to make the copies. But it also seems illogical to me to hand my passport over to someone else's possession, even though I know that it is customary in many parts of the world. If I lose my own passport or it is stolen while in MY own possession, that is one thing, but if it is lost or stolen, or copied WHILE IN THE POSSESSION OF A CRUISE SHIP, then that is something else entirely. I guess it just falls under the regular risk people take when traveling, but I think many might feel some trepidation about handing over their passport to a cruise ship staff/management/officers. As I said, if I lose it myself that's on me........if THEY lose it, do they not have at least SOME responsibility for restitution?

Could you share with me what excursions you did on your South America cruise? And what you liked or didn't like? :confused:

We loved the four by four tour in the Falkland Islands with Patrick Watts, the free walking tour in Buenos Aires, tour and bbq lunch in Monte Video, Punta tomba to see the penguins (you are never sure if you'll be able to take in the faulkland tour due to weather), National park hike in Ushuaia, Osorno Volcano/Petrohue falls, and finally a transfer tour in Valparaiso with a guy called the German Pirate.

Sorry, but, that's all I remember and I could have missed something.

I guess it depends on your itinerary, if it includes Brazil you do. Other wise, we didn't for Peru, Chile and Argentina.
Itinerary is South America cruise. Brazil isn't Port of call. I saw an old thread about getting visa for Argentina.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk