Sky Suite Questions, etc.

Yellowlily

Looking into booking a future sailing (Eastern or Southern Caribbean) possibly on the Reflection. Have not sailed X in many years but extremely excited to go back since our past X cruises were the best we have ever sailed. We are a couple (I'm mid 40s/ Husband is in early 50s) with 2 kids (13 & 4). Have been doing a good bit of research and keep coming back to the Reflection. Silhouette and Equinox are other possibilities. In the past, we have done Concierge Class and loved it. For this cruise, we were looking at a Family Verandah cabin but realized they go fast since there are so few of them per ship (4 of them per ship - I think??).

Another option we would like to explore is a Sky Suite cabin. I've seen some pictures and it looks like it would suit us well. Just would like some opinions, did you like the perks, the room, sleeping arrangements, - especially if you have children. How is Luminae compared to the other speciality restaurants, etc. How is the balcony - is it big enough to enjoy a nice coffee/breakfast for 2 or even 4? Husband loves relaxing in the evening on the balcony and having a night cap. Are the bathroom linens upgraded from regular cabins (when we sailed CC on previous X cruises, we had special Turkish cotton linens (bath towels, robes, etc.) that were divine!! Just wondered if they still did that.

Lastly, I've noticed X has revamped their kids program. From what I've read, it sounds great. However, have not seen much as in personal reviews, just information on X's website.

Thanks in advance for any information you could give. The last few cruises we have taken, have not been up to par for us (or our hopes, anyway). We have always loved Celebrity and most of RCCI, but not all. Excited to go back to X. What we like in a cruise - more traditional, the food has to be the star and a focus, good service, and lots and lots of music. Love shows, enrichments and nice shore excursions.

See comments: Hope that you enjoy whatever you pick.

Looking into booking a future sailing (Eastern or Southern Caribbean) possibly on the Reflection. Have not sailed X in many years but extremely excited to go back since our past X cruises were the best we have ever sailed. We are a couple (I'm mid 40s/ Husband is in early 50s) with 2 kids (13 & 4). Have been doing a good bit of research and keep coming back to the Reflection. Silhouette and Equinox are other possibilities. In the past, we have done Concierge Class and loved it. On M Class we will do Concierge as the cabins are bigger than regular Balcony cabins, and we like the C1's on the stern. The perks listed for Concierge are pretty meaningless. For this cruise, we were looking at a Family Verandah cabin but realized they go fast since there are so few of them per ship (4 of them per ship - I think??).

Another option we would like to explore is a Sky Suite cabin. We enjoy Sky Suites. The S-1's on S-Class on the aft corners are our favorites. CAUTION: There are a few, Reflection for sure, on Deck 6 that have tiny, I mean really tiny, balcony. I've seen some pictures and it looks like it would suit us well. Just would like some opinions, did you like the perks ,The perks are very nice at a cost (the cabin prices are getting quite high, but when you factor in all 4 perks, it is sometimes a good value.the room, sleeping arrangements, - especially if you have children. How is Luminae compared to the other speciality restaurants, Luminae, although not a specialty, compares extremely well, we think it is better than all except Murano.etc. How is the balcony - is it big enough to enjoy a nice coffee/breakfast for 2 or even 4? Husband loves relaxing in the evening on the balcony and having a night cap. Are the bathroom linens upgraded from regular cabins (when we sailed CC on previous X cruises, we had special Turkish cotton linens (bath towels, robes, etc.) that were divine!! Just wondered if they still did that.

Lastly, I've noticed X has revamped their kids program. From what I've read, it sounds great. However, have not seen much as in personal reviews, just information on X's website. Our DS's are grown, so no recent direct experience. On longer cruises, there are usually very few kids, and even some 7 day cruises are light on Kids.

Thanks in advance for any information you could give. The last few cruises we have taken, have not been up to par for us (or our hopes, anyway). We have always loved Celebrity and most of RCCI, but not all. Excited to go back to X. What we like in a cruise - more traditional, the food has to be the star and a focus, good service, and lots and lots of music. Love shows, enrichments and nice shore excursions.

Looking into booking a future sailing (Eastern or Southern Caribbean) possibly on the Reflection. Have not sailed X in many years but extremely excited to go back since our past X cruises were the best we have ever sailed. We are a couple (I'm mid 40s/ Husband is in early 50s) with 2 kids (13 & 4). Have been doing a good bit of research and keep coming back to the Reflection. Silhouette and Equinox are other possibilities. In the past, we have done Concierge Class and loved it. For this cruise, we were looking at a Family Verandah cabin but realized they go fast since there are so few of them per ship (4 of them per ship - I think??).

Another option we would like to explore is a Sky Suite cabin. I've seen some pictures and it looks like it would suit us well. Just would like some opinions, did you like the perks, the room, sleeping arrangements, - especially if you have children. How is Luminae compared to the other speciality restaurants, etc. How is the balcony - is it big enough to enjoy a nice coffee/breakfast for 2 or even 4? Husband loves relaxing in the evening on the balcony and having a night cap. Are the bathroom linens upgraded from regular cabins (when we sailed CC on previous X cruises, we had special Turkish cotton linens (bath towels, robes, etc.) that were divine!! Just wondered if they still did that.

Lastly, I've noticed X has revamped their kids program. From what I've read, it sounds great. However, have not seen much as in personal reviews, just information on X's website.

Can't speak to Concierge but Sky suites might work well for you. I was just on Reflection in 2108. It's got a nice large balcony (covered, but quite deep because of the slant, and very private--a bit windier than i like, but still enjoyable), but what I think would make it a potential winner for family is location. It's right next to the spa/gym--and therefore right next to extra, and well tended, toilet and shower facilities. It's also one flight away from the pool deck. Things would be a little snug at night with the sofa bed and a cot, but with two kids I imagine you might not beput off by that. As has already been mentioned, the Aft S1s are pretty spiffy, but lack the location benefits.

Linens are fine. Seems that some of the bathrobes (not sheets) are still Frette, but in any case are nice. The occasional towel has seen better days, but these are difficult times....:-) Very subjective, but I find the beds and pillows to be fantastic.

The Reflection trip was May in the Mediterranean, so considerably older general demographic than I've run into in the Caribbean(mid-50's here), but still there were a couple of small kids and teen/tweens with families in Luminae. In my experience the team in Luminae goes above and beyond in trying to make dining pleasant and at times, memorable. I eat vegetarian and they're fabulous with dealing with my preferences and working to adjust ingredients and do some off menu things, so I would imagine that they'd rise to the occasion of meeting any desires your young ones might hold. I enjoy Luminae enough to nearly never eat elsewhere, but Murano has proved tasty, and can be fun if you like table-side prep.

On a couple of trips, a personal delight has been seeing the much younger fellow travelers looked after by the team in Michaels Club. Whether a pianist interacting with a little one fascinated by the keyboard or an officer getting down on one knee so that he could chat with a young man eye to very wide eye, they appear to be very welcoming to families of all ages.

Good luck in your deliberations!

db

I know the price jump is quite significant but we find the RS a great family room. The two separate areas of bedroom and lounge offer lots of family room and additional privacy. The second toilet and sink takes pressure off the bathroom use. Decent balcony and room for the double sofa bed and a roll away if needed.

The added perks of premium drinks packages for adults and nonalcoholic packages for the kids and unlimited speciality dining and laundry are also of value. The Lawn Club Grill and Le Petit Chef are great dining experiences for youngsters.

Just a thought from personal experience.....

If you are going to go on the Reflection the sky suites on deck from 2152 to 2162 and 2155 to 2165 are all on the hump and have no overhang from the pool deck above. All the sky suites with the exception of the corner ones at the back seemed to have more wardrobe space. We like the corner ones but don't like the size of the wardrobe.

There is enough space in all the sky suites to have the pull down bed down and not feel that you have to go sideways to get past something. The suites other than the corner ones are the size of 1 and a half rooms. They are the same depth as a regular cabin but are wider. The corner ones tend to sell quickly and they always feel bigger again.

We definitely like the extra space in sky suites, but even if 4 people can fit on the balcony, you will only have 2 chairs out there, so it isn't practical for a family of 4 to eat breakfast together there. Luminae is good, but on any given day you will only have 3 appetizer options, 3 entree options etc. The specialty restaurants that you pay for have a static menu but it has more options, as does the main dining room. Your kids might find the limited options to be a negative, but I seem to recall reading that you can ask for some of the main dining room options and they will bring them. Do a search to be sure though, or maybe someone here can clarify that; we never asked about items not listed on the menu so I don't have any personal experience with that.

We definitely like the extra space in sky suites, but even if 4 people can fit on the balcony, you will only have 2 chairs out there, so it isn't practical for a family of 4 to eat breakfast together there. Luminae is good, but on any given day you will only have 3 appetizer options, 3 entree options etc. The specialty restaurants that you pay for have a static menu but it has more options, as does the main dining room. Your kids might find the limited options to be a negative, but I seem to recall reading that you can ask for some of the main dining room options and they will bring them. Do a search to be sure though, or maybe someone here can clarify that; we never asked about items not listed on the menu so I don't have any personal experience with that.

You can get items from the MDR menu without a problem. From what I saw, it seemed that staff bent over backward for the kids, to make them happy with food selections.

Don't rule out the option of getting a balcony cabin and an inside cabin right across the hall. For less than a suite and maybe less than a Family Cabin you'd get 2 cabins. But I don't know what specials are going on for the 3rd and 4th in a cabin. That might be a better deal than the 2 rooms.

Just a thought

You can get items from the MDR menu without a problem. From what I saw, it seemed that staff bent over backward for the kids, to make them happy with food selections.

Thank you for clarifying. That's what I thought, but as we didn't make any such requests, I had no first-hand experience and wasn't 100% positive about what I'd read previously.

Our family of 4 (two teenagers) have been very comfortable in a sky suite our last several cruises, and the perks are nice (kids especially loved parents' unlimited wifi perk). The larger cabin accommodates the additional bed arrangement nicely.

Luminae is great, confirmed by both food connoisseur husband and picky eater son.

School schedules obviously limit our cruises to summer, so whenever we've cruised, typically there are a fair amount of kids; your 13 yo may still be out roaming the ship/hanging out at the X Club with new friends while you, your husband and 3 yo are relaxing on your balcony in the evening!

Thank you for clarifying. That's what I thought, but as we didn't make any such requests, I had no first-hand experience and wasn't 100% positive about what I'd read previously.

On our one experience in Luminae, we ordered off the MDR menu several times, at least for some items. I don't know how 'sophisticated' of eaters your children are - they may find the options in Luminae not to their tastes, but they can always fall back on the MDR menu. While we were not huge fans of the menu, we loved the service, the better wine offerings, and the size of the restaurant. And most of all we loved being in a Sky Suite. It is definitely a large step up from a regular balcony cabin. Also love the space of FV's on M class, but have never sailed them on S class so can't comment.