Is there much variety at Chef's Table?

zitsky

Well tell him to go hongry! The serve a whole large lobster split in half...and if he is “lucky” like mine, they will come by and offer a second when they discover they have cooked too many.

I “had” to help eat the second one...thankfully I had eaten a small portion of something light that night.

Have a great cruise!

bf0042cb8c41575808f464c06daa7c75.jpg

1a6da7ae9f7dc6ab295835dd702f2b2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t eat shellfish, but DH had a lobster one night on our trip that was so big it didn’t want to stay on the plate! Viking does it right, that is for sure. Just look at those amazing pictures! ����

Edited by Vineyard View

Somehow we must have missed those lobsters on our Star Med cruise earlier this year. We did have Lobster Thermidor, and it was OK, but those lobsters above ^^^^^ look great! :D

Whoops, I think we're drifting.....

OK RJ2002 I will bring us back closer to topic again :)

For me The Chef’s Table formed part of the ship’s education and enrichment program!

I had previously been very conservative in my choice of food; for instance I have avoided most seafood because I thought I did not like it. This restaurant extended and expanded my experience of foods that I would never have picked from a menu. The Chef’s table concept encouraged me to try items that I would not have dreamt I would enjoy but discovered that I loved – scallops being just one example.

Over 2 cruises we have sampled 6 or 7 of the various menus and all of the courses have been agreeable to a greater or lesser extent. Having some degree of variation of what suits ones taste, dish to dish, is common to all restaurant food but what makes The Chef’s table interesting is that I found myself very much enjoying unexpected flavors and items that I would never have ordered for myself.

Thanks to Viking I am now willing to explore a whole world of seafood and other new flavors and I am so glad they stuck to their theme of doing things a little differently by not occupying the space with yet another regular style cruise ship restaurant.

OK RJ2002 I will bring us back closer to topic again :)

For me The Chef’s Table formed part of the ship’s education and enrichment program!

I had previously been very conservative in my choice of food; for instance I have avoided most seafood because I thought I did not like it. This restaurant extended and expanded my experience of foods that I would never have picked from a menu. The Chef’s table concept encouraged me to try items that I would not have dreamt I would enjoy but discovered that I loved – scallops being just one example.

Over 2 cruises we have sampled 6 or 7 of the various menus and all of the courses have been agreeable to a greater or lesser extent. Having some degree of variation of what suits ones taste, dish to dish, is common to all restaurant food but what makes The Chef’s table interesting is that I found myself very much enjoying unexpected flavors and items that I would never have ordered for myself.

Thanks to Viking I am now willing to explore a whole world of seafood and other new flavors and I am so glad they stuck to their theme of doing things a little differently by not occupying the space with yet another regular style cruise ship restaurant.

I completely agree. I know the venue does not suit everyone, but we loved it. Every time I see someone suggest that Viking replace it with a steak/seafood/French restaurant, I cringe. I don't use the spa, but I don't expect them to replace it with an art studio!

Thanks Photopro 2 for the point that chef table can be seen as part of the on board enrichment ! I agree.

I ate at Chief table only once. It was wonderful and loved the cloud soup for dessert. Louise knew all about cloud soup and the berries that are used in it. It was a new experience for me. Also loved the wine pairings with the Silver Beverage package.

On my next Viking cruise with my sister, we will make more than one reservatiion for the chef table.

lackcreativity, very good point also. The two alternative dining spaces are perfect in complementing the great food in the MDR. I had great steaks and seafood in the MDR.

Thanks Photopro 2 for the point that chef table can be seen as part of the on board enrichment ! I agree.

I ate at Chief table only once. It was wonderful and loved the cloud soup for dessert. Louise knew all about cloud soup and the berries that are used in it. It was a new experience for me. Also loved the wine pairings with the Silver Beverage package.

On my next Viking cruise with my sister, we will make more than one reservatiion for the chef table.

lackcreativity, very good point also. The two alternative dining spaces are perfect in complementing the great food in the MDR. I had great steaks and seafood in the MDR.

Loved loved loved the speciality restaurants. It felt so special and we had such good service. Also just eating in the The Restaurant was wonderful. The lobster night was great. Food on our cruise was over the top. The Silver Beverage was worth the money. The TA was so great as we got to really utilize the wonderful ship! Viking is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely agree. I know the venue does not suit everyone, but we loved it. Every time I see someone suggest that Viking replace it with a steak/seafood/French restaurant, I cringe. I don't use the spa, but I don't expect them to replace it with an art studio!

Oh my heavens! Now there is an idea! I'd bet that it would be packed on a sea day. And how about, like they do the lecturers, an on board art instructor. They can lead plein aire tours or sketching parties. I would love to do more of this on our travels but it just doesn't work with DH looking over my shoulder and kind of letting me know that he is ready to move on, about two minutes after I sit down.

In any case, I agree. Please don't replace the CT. It is the one quiet dining venue on the ship.

Oh my heavens! Now there is an idea! I'd bet that it would be packed on a sea day. And how about, like they do the lecturers, an on board art instructor. They can lead plein aire tours or sketching parties. I would love to do more of this on our travels but it just doesn't work with DH looking over my shoulder and kind of letting me know that he is ready to move on, about two minutes after I sit down.

In any case, I agree. Please don't replace the CT. It is the one quiet dining venue on the ship.

Ironically, I don't even paint! It did seem like a fun idea to suggest, even though the whole point was to stress not giving up something that has a limited, but loyal group of users to replace it with something which would also have a niche market.

But maybe we are on to something here. Now that the Orion has it's distinct planetarium, maybe the next to sail could find a spot for an art studio. It could be a whole fleet of wonderful, near-identical ships, each with one unique feature. Viking, are you listening?!?

Ironically, I don't even paint! It did seem like a fun idea to suggest, even though the whole point was to stress not giving up something that has a limited, but loyal group of users to replace it with something which would also have a niche market.

But maybe we are on to something here. Now that the Orion has it's distinct planetarium, maybe the next to sail could find a spot for an art studio. It could be a whole fleet of wonderful, near-identical ships, each with one unique feature. Viking, are you listening?!?

I must respectfully disagree. If you bring in an art studio you must bring in an artist to teach people. Azamara has an "Artist in Residence" and I have yet to see one that is more than a hack. Face it, most people can't paint, and if they're doing it for entertainment value they'll want to do it the trendy way, which is to paint with a glass of wine by their side. Which means that no self-respecting true artist will want to be part of it. Hence having painting hacks on board. Sorry for being so cynical. :(