Which line to choose?

islandchick

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Hi, that's me right there. We haven't taken many cruises total, but with each vacation we seem to be splurging more and more. I'm glad I found this thread as there is a ton of information to help get me pointed in the right direction to see if this will be our next upgrade. It all comes down to what you personally enjoy.

For us, similar to the OP from several years ago, we're a couple in our late 30's early 40's, no kids (outside of our 80lb furry dog), who enjoy fine wine and drinks and appreciate that the difference between a fine steak at Wolfgang's versus what a chain restaurant will pass off as 'steak'. However, hubby wants to be in shorts 90% of the time and when we're on vacation, we have zero interest in dressing up or putting on airs for other passengers. So it sounds like most of the luxury cruises will fit our needs for food/drinks and exotic ports of call, but not so much for the day to day. We're shorts/t-shirts type of people, I don't want to HAVE to wear a cocktail dress or him a polo/khakis every night. So the search continues.

As far as the quantity vs quality - just a quick (albeit not apples-apples) comparison, 7 day Mediterranean cruise in September 2020:

* Regent Deluxe Veranda Suite (353 sf + 33 sf balcony) = ~8K/per person

* SeaDream Admiral Suite (375 sf + 35 sf balcony) = ~10K/per person

* NCL Haven Deluxe Owners Suite (852 sf + 121 sf balcony) = ~6.5K/per person

Not sure about the SeaDream, but the other 2 lines included air, drinks and excursions. Again, I know it's not identical comparisons, but they're not even close in terms of room size. Personally, I'd rather have a bigger room and bigger private balcony than eat caviar while wearing a ball gown and my finest jewelry. Hence why we haven't made the switch yet.

Everyone's definition of luxury is different. first of all nobody on luxury lines wears ball gowns or flaunts jewels and status (maybe some but no more than on other lines.)  And I don't care how big my suite is if I have to leave it and mingle with thousands of other passengers that is not luxury. Luxury is space, service, great food, getting into smaller interesting ports where NCL can never go, not having to show a card every time I order a drink yada yada yada. But I understand we each have our own preferences and I hope you continue to enjoy your sailings.

• Like 1

Although wripro and I do not agree often, I agree with his last post.  We stayed in The Haven on NCL's Bliss (christening cruise) and did find The Haven to be lovely.  However, there is no way the food matched up to luxury cruise lines. Plus, once you leave The Haven, you are with 4,000 other passengers.  No comparison whatsoever.

For the record, Sailing12Away is obviously correct that you cannot wear shorts, t-shirts, jeans or flip-flops to dinner, however, he could wear Dockers and a collared shirt (which includes polo shirts) on Regent.  There are no formal nights on Regent but they do have a couple of  "formal optional" nights on cruises that are over 15 nights.  "Optional" means that you can still wear Dockers or any kind of slacks that are not denim and a polo shirt, short sleeved collared shirt, etc.

So, if they want to wear shorts, luxury cruising would not be for them.  However, their conception of luxury cruising could not be more incorrect

We started cruising when every night was formal night and not just a suggestion, it was expected. Many of the mainstream lines still have formal nights, but hedge the expectations with statements like""recommended". On our last Princess Cruise the numbers adhering to the dress code was not great and some even wore shorts & tank tops.

After many years of dressing up in tuxedos or dark suits, in retirement, I am looking for a more casual experience. Many of the luxury lines no longer have formal nights. Viking Ocean is one of them with no formal nights, with shorts being acceptable everywhere by day, but in the evening they request long trousers and a collared shirt (polo/golf shirts acceptable). However, no jeans. 

Premium/luxury lines are more than getting a large cabin. Our next cruise with Viking Ocean, the cabin is 50% larger than a comparable balcony on Princess. No interest in suites, as we consider the cabin as our bedroom and the ship's public spaces as the living spaces. A 800 sq foot cabin, for us is overkill and frankly a waste of money. We prefer the vastly superior passenger/space ratios, on premium/luxury lines. On mega ships, with a suite, you may have a bigger cabin, but once you leave the cabin you have the same pax/space ratio as the passenger that paid the lowest fare. Premium/Luxury ships have significantly less crowding.

Viking Ocean is also 18+, so Zero kids. We like kids and enjoy time with grandkids, but on holiday we enjoy the peace and quiet of a kid free ship. When we head up to the Sun Deck/pools, on mainstream lines you will be lucky to find a sun lounger, unless reserving them early in the morning. Much less or no such problems on premium/luxury ships

We also enjoy quality meals and service, and don't miss the annoying photographers, art auctions, shopping hosts and the nickle & diming so prevalent on mainstream lines.

What ever option you select, enjoy the cruise.

Of course everyone's preferences and idea of 'luxury' will vary, and I appreciate the different opinions. In the grand scheme of it all, it isn't a huge jump price-wise to go from top tier on a mega ship to a standard tier on the luxury ones - but  we would need to see if it was worth it for us personally. Getting a free guided tour of a city at each port is nice to be included, but not if we had our hearts set on scuba diving instead and that wasn't an offered free option. Upgrade to free business class air again is a nice included perk, but a bit extravagant and unnecessary for a 3 hr flight to Miami for example. It's about perceived value add.

I suppose I'm also still using the mentality that I would prefer to spend more time privately in my own cabin/balcony, than in the common areas with other travelers. Hence why I place a higher importance on my cabin than others might. A ship with fewer passengers would make the public areas more enjoyable, but there's a difference between wanting to sit in a public lounge and mingle with others verses having to because you feel cramped in your own room.

Our next few vacations are already booked, so we're realistically not looking to commit to anything until 2020 and toying with the idea of trying a river cruise. Plenty of time to do more research and decide what's most important and enjoyable to us. But again, thank you for all your input.

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

but there's a difference between wanting to sit in a public lounge and mingle with others

Just realize that on a luxury ship with more space:passenger ratio, you don't have to mingle with others if you use a public lounge.  There will be others who might pass by and you do have to be dressed (unlike in your cabin), but it's not really populated, let alone crowded.  In my personal experience, if I go to read, watch the sea, or do my crafts mid day in a public lounge, I might find 6 or 8 other people there spread around the room, all doing the same as I intend to do.  Around the pool there may be more people in closer proximity, but not in other outdoor areas or in the indoor public spaces.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:08 AM, calliopecruiser said:

Just realize that on a luxury ship with more space:passenger ratio, you don't have to mingle with others if you use a public lounge.  There will be others who might pass by and you do have to be dressed (unlike in your cabin), but it's not really populated, let alone crowded.  In my personal experience, if I go to read, watch the sea, or do my crafts mid day in a public lounge, I might find 6 or 8 other people there spread around the room, all doing the same as I intend to do.  Around the pool there may be more people in closer proximity, but not in other outdoor areas or in the indoor public spaces.

I agree. I would also add that the great joy of travelling on a small luxury ship is that you actually get to experience the fact that you are on the ocean. On some of the ships you can even swim from a platform at the stern.

three other great advantages are:

1. All inclusive fares so you don’t have to worry about swiping cards to pay for anything

2. Superior service

3. Interesting and wel travelled fellow passengers

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 1:27 PM, islandchick said:

It always surprises me how quickly a thread can be turned into a "formal wear" thread. I (the OP) do like to dress up on occasion and usually overdress for many occasions. However, I don't want to be forced to dress up every night on the ship (formal nights ok) and don't want to be told how to dress on the rest of the ship (Such as Regent having a dress code for the entire ship after 6 pm). In places such as Alaska I expect to have a much less formal dress code. So in other words, I want to be the one to decide based on my day what I will wear. It is my cruise after all. I can't fathom how my attire at a bar would degrade another persons experience.

Could we also talk about service, food, special events, etc? Please?

On 11/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Still don't know what is wrong with simply respecting a cruise line's dress code.  It isn't about you or me or anyone else - it is about respect.  With the exception of Silversea, "true" luxury cruise lines are quite casual (slacks and a collared shirt for men and women can wear pants, skirts, dresses ....... anything but jeans and shorts at night.)   Why is this such a problem?  Seriously, if you want to dress in ways described above, go on a cruise line with a compatible dress code - although it will not be on a luxury cruise line.

Another dress code question (sorry!).  We follow the recommended guidelines on our cruises, but that has only extended to the dining room.  After dinner my husband prefers changing back into something more casual (nice shorts) so he can wear his sandals or sneakers rather than dress shoes.  Do any of the premium or luxury lines allow jeans or non-athletic shorts in the evenings?  If not, does anyone have suggestions for comfortable men's shoes that would look appropriate with pants?

He will be fine with a collared shirt (either polo or button up), but concerned about the footwear since we enjoy strolling the outer decks in the evenings in addition to listening to music.

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Another dress code question (sorry!).  We follow the recommended guidelines on our cruises, but that has only extended to the dining room.  After dinner my husband prefers changing back into something more casual (nice shorts) so he can wear his sandals or sneakers rather than dress shoes.  Do any of the premium or luxury lines allow jeans or non-athletic shorts in the evenings?  If not, does anyone have suggestions for comfortable men's shoes that would look appropriate with pants?

He will be fine with a collared shirt (either polo or button up), but concerned about the footwear since we enjoy strolling the outer decks in the evenings in addition to listening to music.

Regent does not permit jeans or shorts after 6:00 p.m. in any restaurant or lounge.  However, he could probably get away with sandals in the lounges after dinner.  Having said that, in good weather, the Pool Grill is open for dinner and you can wear jean or shorts (although few do).  However, if you want to go into a lounge, you need to change.  

Keep in mind that Regent is a small ship and "strolling the decks" is not a big deal - even in dress shoes.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, pacruise804 said:

I didn’t wear a pair of dress shoes at all during a recent voyage on Seadream. I had a few pairs of canvas slip ons made by Riviera. Many other gents had slip on leather yachting shoes. 

These sorts of shoes are very comfortable and quite chic.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 5:07 PM, pacruise804 said:

On Oceania (not a luxury line)

people  can wear nice shorts in the evening not to the dining venues except the Terrace ( buffet) 

As long as they are not beach type shorts  he will be fine

Jeans are also fine around the ship except in the GDR & Specialties

shoes  he could  wear boat shoes  or the canvas style   even trainers  as long as not the  dinner  venues

• Thanks 1