Revisiting Old Question - Canada / NE

Tedferg

We are thinking of Canada - New England. A new itinerary for us and no International flight. We are concerned about heavy seas resulting from Hurricane residue / Tropical Storms etc. Princess has a 13 day from FLL late July - no Fall Colors but that's OK.

Now I see tropical storm Chris with gusts up to 65 MPH will threaten the East Coast !!!

Am I worrying too much ?

First, the cruise in question (which I would have deposited long ago were it any other Princess ship but the CB) ends in Quebec City. So unless you were planning on walking to the border, looks like an international flight is still required. And airports in Quebec do not do pre-clearance for US citizens like Vancouver and some others.

Secondly, cruise ships in the North Atlantic are prepared for force 8 or 9 wind gusts on every single cruise. They are a given on northern transatlantics year round. Looking at the projections for Chris this week all the scheduled cruises between NY/NJ and the Bahamas/Caribbean likely have to do is stick closer to land. Though if the storm wobbles even slightly more to the west than projected, the safer bet is to go further out to sea. But that's the Captain's job to worry about, not yours--the answer to your final question is an emphatic yes.

Thanks Fishywood - I guess you are right about 'International Flight' I meant no 12 - 14 hour trans Atlantic.

BTW is CB really so bad ?

We have done three Canada / New England cruises, all in the September / October time frame. Two on Princess and one on RCCL. On one occasion, a late tropical storm way off to the northeast affected a typical seasonal nor'easter and we caught some heavy seas. A two day issue that didn't disturb the overall enjoyment of the cruise. As Fishywood indicated, let the captain and the crew worry about navigating around the weather. They are very good at it.

We did CB this past January on a circle Caribbean and on a Quebec to Florida about two years ago. She was fine on both cruises. The January cruise was after her last refitting and the changes that were made were very positive.

What makes you think that CB is "so bad"?

No, I’d give this one a miss in July. Not because of any rough seas, but I want to also book it and the more pax I can discourage, the lower the price will drop ;p. Oh, and we’d have some of those transatlantic flights too.

We had a great time on the CB last summer around the British isles. It looks like a nice itinerary. Even when we took our first cruise to New England/Canada one October, we did not see much fall color.

. Even when we took our first cruise to New England/Canada one October, we did not see much fall color.

We live in Massachusetts.

Went several times on similar cruises. To see leaves changes you need to go inland, leaves change much later near water.

Went several times on similar cruises. To see leaves changes you need to go inland, leaves change much later near water.

Agree.

When we went (Quebec City to NYC) we spent several days pre-cruise in Quebec. One day we rented a car and were able to see some incredible color when we visited Montmorency Falls, drove around Île d'Orléans and just cruised through some beautiful areas. This of course was in October, not August. However, even that late, we did not see a great deal of color in the area of the ports visited. Not that it mattered. It was a great itinerary.

We had a wonderful road trip some years ago, best Fall color. We thought ship excursions might go inland far enough for good color.

However color would not be the primary reason for this cruise hence considering the July itinerary, thinking it would avoid rough seas.

Absolutely!

In 4 similat cruises

Cunard : NYC - Halifax - Boston for Independence Day

Carnival: Boston - Halifax - St John in mid July

Holland America: Boston - Halifax - Sydney - Charlottetown, PEI - Quebec City - Montreal (best itin) for Labor Day

Royal Caribbean: Boston - Bar Harbor - Halifax - St John - Portland in late September

we never experienced even slightly rough seas.

The only one I've done is in October but I was concerned having never cruised the North Atlantic. Turned out it was some of the smoothest sailing that I've ever experienced. These modern ships are pretty good about avoiding storms though.

Absolutely beautiful trip though!