Just off Oasis of the Seas - few comments and will do my best to answer any questions

I am liking hearing some opinions on your San Juan and St Maarten things to do. We've only ever used San Juan as a departure port in the past and never really did much there besides get on and off the ship and head to the airport and having been to St Maarten twice in the past (before our girl was born) we always went to Maho Beach to watch the planes land and take off but I wonder if thats been redone since the hurricane last year. Its kind of a lengthy way away from the port and I'd rather not risk it with our daughter in tow. Looking at other things to do there.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

We almost booked the RCCL excursion that hits up a couple snorkel spots and then Maho Beach. We saw a 737 (or maybe A320) land from a distance and a couple prop planes come in while we were closer. Boats aren't allowed super close to the beach anymore since a sailboat with a tall mast got a bit too close to the flight path. Captain Bob's excursion was great, but I wouldn't do it with a 7-year old unless she was used to being on boats and a great swimmer - it just wouldn't be worth it if you have to console her the whole time the boat is moving and then sit in the boat with her if she doesn't want to jump in the water.

Also, the traffic did look a bit worrisome, but mainly towards Maho. We walked from the port to Dock Maarten, so we didn't see much of the roads though.

Lastly, our captain told us the current hotel capacity was at about 1200 rooms, down from 14,000 before the hurricane, so there are a lot fewer planes coming in right now. You might want to factor that in to see if it's really worth it to make the journey over there.

We almost booked the RCCL excursion that hits up a couple snorkel spots and then Maho Beach. We saw a 737 (or maybe A320) land from a distance and a couple prop planes come in while we were closer. Boats aren't allowed super close to the beach anymore since a sailboat with a tall mast got a bit too close to the flight path. Captain Bob's excursion was great, but I wouldn't do it with a 7-year old unless she was used to being on boats and a great swimmer - it just wouldn't be worth it if you have to console her the whole time the boat is moving and then sit in the boat with her if she doesn't want to jump in the water.

Also, the traffic did look a bit worrisome, but mainly towards Maho. We walked from the port to Dock Maarten, so we didn't see much of the roads though.

Lastly, our captain told us the current hotel capacity was at about 1200 rooms, down from 14,000 before the hurricane, so there are a lot fewer planes coming in right now. You might want to factor that in to see if it's really worth it to make the journey over there.

Thanks, yea, I think we will skip that this go.....we'll look for something a little more laid back and not so worrisome getting back to the ship in time. I sure liked that beach and bar back when we went to Maho (before the hurricane, several years ago) got some awesome pics of us under some huge planes coming in while we were in the water by the beach!

Thanks, yea, I think we will skip that this go.....we'll look for something a little more laid back and not so worrisome getting back to the ship in time. I sure liked that beach and bar back when we went to Maho (before the hurricane, several years ago) got some awesome pics of us under some huge planes coming in while we were in the water by the beach!

I agree with you. We went there in 2012 when our kids were 4 and 9 and decided to just take the ferry over to the main beach area, rent a couple chairs under an umbrella and chill there. Stress free and the kids had a blast!

Our 10-year old really enjoyed Adventure Ocean. He was a bit bummed that they didn't have the gaming systems like the teen club but still had a great time. He's a big fan of gagaball (still not sure what that is) and they play a lot of that. The counselors were great and the kids all seemed to be having fun whenever I went by.

We are doing Allure the last week of august, my kids are 11 so I am kinda glad they will have a week away from gaming in that 9-11 group. I heard there was a step up program for 11 year olds where they could opt into the 12-14 group. It would get them their gaming fix but then they would be the youngest in their group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Breakfast was pretty good. My wife said the omelettes in the dining room were amazing. We stuck to Solarium Bistro the rest of the breakfasts.

What was the selection for breakfast in Solarium Bistro? Did they have also hot items available?

We were on Oasis in April and had the same experience with the lukewarm "cold" water in the cabin! I don't what it is, but I hate brushing my teeth with warm water! Was glad that I brought bottled water on board to drink (which got reasonably cold after a day or two in the minibar "cooler").

Labadee has lovely scenery and we enjoyed our two previous visits - but both of those were as suite passengers on the suite beach. This last time on Oasis, we found it to be very overcrowded, and we also noted that they could use new loungers. I think the area is too small for the amount of passengers on the mega ships (on Columbus beach, you could barely walk with all the loungers). If we ever went there again on a mega, we'd make sure to get off early!

What was the selection for breakfast in Solarium Bistro? Did they have also hot items available?

Solarium breakfast is like a mini Windjammer, both hot and cold items.

How was My Time dining as far as wait time to get in? TIA

We waited in line at most five minutes. I saw the tip to get reservations every night. They don't seem to care when your reservation is; they just have two lines set up - one for reservations, one for no reservations. We were always seated right away, even if we were an hour off of our reservation that night.

We are doing Allure the last week of august, my kids are 11 so I am kinda glad they will have a week away from gaming in that 9-11 group. I heard there was a step up program for 11 year olds where they could opt into the 12-14 group. It would get them their gaming fix but then they would be the youngest in their group.

I wasn't aware of them letting any kids move up, but there was a 12-year girl old who had moved down into Voyagers to be with her sister or friend.

Our 10-year old really enjoyed Adventure Ocean. He was a bit bummed that they didn't have the gaming systems like the teen club but still had a great time. He's a big fan of gagaball (still not sure what that is) and they play a lot of that. The counselors were great and the kids all seemed to be having fun whenever I went by. We went to check on him a couple times (usually later at night) and he usually wanted to stay. They do combine with the Explorers (5-8s) after 10pm, which he didn't love, but they usually put on a movie then too.

I'd agree with the consensus on the events. We skipped Cats - really weird that they'd put that show on a cruise ship. Maybe they should do Stomp or something more high energy. Oasis of Dreams is an amazing show - just don't try to get any meaning or storyl line out of it and you'll be fine. Come Fly with Me was pretty cool and enjoyable. We watched the headliner show from the back and skipped out after a few minutes - probably meant a bit more for an older generation. The ice show was also pretty great, though the guy who draws in the sand stole the show! If anything, I'd almost say there's too much to do. When you have reservations every night, you tend to miss the other stuff going on.

Oh! The 70's Party was pretty amazing too! It's in the Promenade, but you can get a great view from a seat near the railing at the Schooner Bar.

Thanks so much!

I heard there was a step up program for 11 year olds where they could opt into the 12-14 group. It would get them their gaming fix but then they would be the youngest in their group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven heard of a step up group, but I wanted to mention the the 12-14 year olds are mixed in with the 15-17 year olds. I don't know that I'd want my 11 year old to be in the group with those that much older. Both years my granddaughter has been on Allure, they had the groups together.

There were some activities scheduled by age, but the majority of the time was just hanging out in the same area.

Thanks - sounds a good option since Windjammer has been quite chaotic when had breakfast there.

It's been awhile since we were on the Allure, but the Park Cafe is good for breakfast. If you like donuts, they are down by the carousel in the morning. I'm not sure but Johnny Rockets may have breakfast.