Live Blog and some pre-cruse chatter- Constellation 7/21

Jim_Iain

Thanks so much for your review, Jim. It’s been lovely to share your journey (and you’ve helped mitigate my post-cruise blues lol). Loved your photos of Venice, which made me long to be there again, though not during a heat wave;) Thanks for the Venice airport tips. Thus far, I’ve only flown into Venice, so it’s helpful to know what to expect at departure.

- Cheers, Michelle

Thanks Wendy - I'm sure you left it in perfect condition. Unless you're a party animail. :evilsmile:

Sorry Jim, you misunderstood. The cruise before ours/yours arrived in Barcelona on July 20th as they overnighted. I saw it whilst on a trip that evening in Barcelona. We just got off yesterday, Aug 4th, after out B2B so hopefully we left both staterooms - infinity balcony (as the edge will have) and Aqua Class - in good condition!

Wendy

We had plans to go but around 5:00 PM the announced they had a delay and did not make the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The poor McDonald brothers had awful travel arrangements. They performed on the next cruise and were excellent. But they had to get off on Santorini, beg to be on the first tender (with luggage and instruments) and go up on the cable car to then get to the airport! I spoke to them a while and whilst they love Celebrity they have changed the way they arrange travel for guest artists and it is putting them off.

Wendy

Jim, thank you so much for your insight into the cruise! I agree the food was excellent as was the service. You didn’t have Rene, as your butler by any chance?

Oh and as B2B guests we all got letters letting us know about the VAT charges on the next cruise so we were prepared.

Wendy

Just to add some info to Jim’s excellent posts.

As we did a B2B we got off very early in Venice and headed straight to Alilaguna water buses. Dearer than the ACTV lines but so convenient at the cruise ship and easier with luggage for those that need to do that (and it goes straight to the airport - we have used the people mover in the past when we book a hotel at Piazelle Roma. I had paid 13 euros each online (15 euros at the port) for a round trip ticket to San Marco and at 8am we had a lovely quiet trip. There by 8.30 and able to enjoy the peace and quiet. By the time we left at 11.30 the crowds were horrendous. Once we got back to the pier there were huge line ups of people still waiting to get onto the water buses with their luggage and get to the airport - no thank you! We were then easily able to walk back onto the ship with minimal waiting.

The price may seem dear for such a short time but we enjoyed it and for my 84 year old mum a much easier option. When we stay in Venice and then fly home we always use the ATVO airport bus as our luggage goes underneath the bus and I don’t have to try and hold onto it! Again leaves from Piazelle Roma and will be a couple of euros more than ACTV - I agree with Jim not to try the ACTV water buses to the airport as they always look packed.

I have enjoyed to last half hour reading your blog. Great review and tips! I will be looking forward to reading your next blog about the Japan cruise (which is one we are hoping to do soon).

Martha

Hi Martha - I'm really looking forward to the next cruise. Having worked for a Japanese Company for 15 years I am very comfortable with the culture but have never had the opportunity to really see more than hotel rooms and offices.

Thanks so much for your review, Jim. It’s been lovely to share your journey (and you’ve helped mitigate my post-cruise blues lol). Loved your photos of Venice, which made me long to be there again, though not during a heat wave;) Thanks for the Venice airport tips. Thus far, I’ve only flown into Venice, so it’s helpful to know what to expect at departure.

- Cheers, Michelle

We really enjoyed Venice and felt very comfortable getting around Venice. It is nice being home and find out I only put on 2 pounds. I've been trying to only eat 1/2 of what they put on my plate during the cruise.

Sorry Jim, you misunderstood. The cruise before ours/yours arrived in Barcelona on July 20th as they overnighted. I saw it whilst on a trip that evening in Barcelona. We just got off yesterday, Aug 4th, after out B2B so hopefully we left both staterooms - infinity balcony (as the edge will have) and Aqua Class - in good condition!

Wendy

Got ya.. .sorry for the misunderstanding. Did you happen to get any pictures of the Infinity Balcony cabin? Some one wrote me that she had booked it as a surprise to her husband and was wanting to see some pictures.

Just to add some info to Jim’s excellent posts.

As we did a B2B we got off very early in Venice and headed straight to Alilaguna water buses. Dearer than the ACTV lines but so convenient at the cruise ship and easier with luggage for those that need to do that (and it goes straight to the airport - we have used the people mover in the past when we book a hotel at Piazelle Roma. I had paid 13 euros each online (15 euros at the port) for a round trip ticket to San Marco and at 8am we had a lovely quiet trip. There by 8.30 and able to enjoy the peace and quiet. By the time we left at 11.30 the crowds were horrendous. Once we got back to the pier there were huge line ups of people still waiting to get onto the water buses with their luggage and get to the airport - no thank you! We were then easily able to walk back onto the ship with minimal waiting.

The price may seem dear for such a short time but we enjoyed it and for my 84 year old mum a much easier option. When we stay in Venice and then fly home we always use the ATVO airport bus as our luggage goes underneath the bus and I don’t have to try and hold onto it! Again leaves from Piazelle Roma and will be a couple of euros more than ACTV - I agree with Jim not to try the ACTV water buses to the airport as they always look packed.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure others will cherish it.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure others will cherish it.

Jim, I’m jealous of the way you can travel - I wish I could do it that way! I’d have jumped on the people mover and walked to San Marco but just not possible with my mum. Thought I’d some other options for other people when I was writing up my journal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got ya.. .sorry for the misunderstanding. Did you happen to get any pictures of the Infinity Balcony cabin? Some one wrote me that she had booked it as a surprise to her husband and was wanting to see some pictures.

No need to apologise! I’ve added a lot to the main board - should be quite near the top but here’s one. cfb4c5a1aa6548ded44bdb09f14da292.jpg

Jim, I’m jealous of the way you can travel - I wish I could do it that way! I’d have jumped on the people mover and walked to San Marco but just not possible with my mum. Thought I’d some other options for other people when I was writing up my journal.

Thanks for the pictures of the Edge Infinity Cabin. I will let the other CC members to look on the main site.

I'm not sure I would even attempt San Marco Square in Late January. The crowds were unbelievable and we did all we could to avoid the tourist area. I'm sure that traveling with your mum would be difficult in Venice. We did see a number of 80is passengers on the Vaporetto's. The crew seemed very helpful in helping them get on and off.