Flying into Sydney on Australia Day 2019 - any tips?

beatleman: Alcohol might finish us off - but if we were to get a takeaway from the pub, wouldn't the hotel take exception to that? Good to know we're not far from affordable liquid refreshment.

Not a problem at all to buy alcohol and take back to your hotel, the Old Holiday Inn is a little dated, but such a great location.

We stay frequently when cruising from the OPT.

The rooftop on Australia Day MAY be for their event only, I know that NYE it usually is.

If you run out of time to visit Harry's famous pie cart on the waterfront at Wooloomooloo, you can buy a Harry's pie at a small hole in the wall shop at Circular Quay, which faces the street. I always buy a pie or pastie and coffee there when I catch the hour ferry to Manly.

If you run out of time to visit Harry's famous pie cart on the waterfront at Wooloomooloo, you can buy a Harry's pie at a small hole in the wall shop at Circular Quay, which faces the street. I always buy a pie or pastie and coffee there when I catch the hour ferry to Manly.

Or a nice pizza from the Ship Inn across the road from CQ.

A pie floater is a pie floating in some peas, Harry's doesn't do them though.

I am sure you days will be jam packed.

Love peas too - what type of peas are we talking? Fresh, canned, mushy, marrowfat?

Or a nice pizza from the Ship Inn across the road from CQ.

Ship Inn for pizza - noted.

I think our days will be jam packed - we have four days pre-cruise and one day after. Our list gets longer and longer, but we want to just soak in the place too. I already feel a return visit may have to be added to our 'to go' list.

Will seek it out on google maps. Silly question - are pies always eaten with cutlery? Anything I've seen mentioned on the forum and menus I've looked up, refer to meal-like accompaniments. Is it ever something you just eat like a Cornish pasty or sausage roll, straight from bag to mouth?

Not a problem at all to buy alcohol and take back to your hotel, the Old Holiday Inn is a little dated, but such a great location.

That's something I don't think I would have learned in a guidebook, great to know. Gives us the opportunity to buy and try a range of drinks over our stay (y)

We stay frequently when cruising from the OPT.

The rooftop on Australia Day MAY be for their event only, I know that NYE it usually is.

We're not too fussy about hotels, well maybe a bit, but location and cleanliness are our top priorities. You couldn't get a better location for a pre-cruise hotel, both in terms of proximity to the ship and convenience for sight-seeing beforehand.

We had a reply to our email to the hotel regarding access to the roof terrace and Australia Day events. They don't yet know if or what they will be running, but no matter what, all hotel guests will have access throughout the day. :D

Love peas too - what type of peas are we talking? Fresh, canned, mushy, marrowfat?

Ignore me, I just looked up the menus I bookmarked months ago and found the mushy peas pics. Yummy. Our family has a tradition of mushy peas at Christmas lunch; the packets you have to steep overnight with baking soda, so this has just soared to the top of our must do foods.

Now do not forget to pay a visit to Harry De Wheels pie cart at Wooloomooloo.

Just did a rethink on this - according to google maps, it's only 550 metres from the Botanic Gardens (which we have scheduled to visit), so a hop sideways is not out of order.

When catching up on the pie thread saw that you visited our neck of the woods on your recent cruise trifecta. Sorry to hear that health got in the way of your enjoyment of the wonderful weather we've had this summer. And that you're feeling better now. Hope you managed to see some of Belfast and surrounds. We missed you by a day - took a drive to the big smoke the day after your visit, I think. Hope our Hong Kong-Sydney flight doesn't emulate yours.:eek:

Will seek it out on google maps. Silly question - are pies always eaten with cutlery? Anything I've seen mentioned on the forum and menus I've looked up, refer to meal-like accompaniments. Is it ever something you just eat like a Cornish pasty or sausage roll, straight from bag to mouth?

:D

Straight from the bag for Harry's pies. If pies are eaten as part of a meal, in a cafe, eaten with cutlery.

Wow, quick answer. Thought everyone that side of the world would still be snoozing.

Thank you - like to follow the form wherever we travel (if at all possible).

Did you review your Hurtigruten cruise - it's one we're interested in - if so I'd like to read it?

Ignore me, I just looked up the menus I bookmarked months ago and found the mushy peas pics. Yummy. Our family has a tradition of mushy peas at Christmas lunch; the packets you have to steep overnight with baking soda, so this has just soared to the top of our must do foods.

Got some on in baking Soda right now.

I suppose you could use the ice-cream approach with that, but I can certainly see why a fork would be preferred.

Why a tiger? I could look it up but I know you wouldn't be lion to me ;p

Harry, who started Harry’s pies was nicknamed Tiger. Aussies were big on nicknames, seems to be fading a bit, but most of us answer to something other than or full registered name.

It was in a cart on wheels to get over an old law about fees, taxes and restrictions on shops. It was moved a few inches each day.

From Harrys web site

During Harry’s time in the Middle East, he was nicknamed “Tiger” due to his boxing prowess and the name stuck. Upon his return in 1945, Harry realised that Sydney hadn’t changed much and it was still almost impossible to get a good feed late-night, so he reopened and the caravan has been operating continuously since.

The phrase ‘Café de Wheels’ came about as the city council of the day insisted that mobile food caravans move a minimum of 12 inches a day. Harry dutifully obeyed and thus the name was expanded to Harry’s Café de Wheels. Before the councils ruling, the caravan was known simply as ‘Harry’s.’

I was going to have mushy peas with lamb chops but the chops aren’t there, so I’m going o have them with a chiko roll. Another delicacy you might try.a4937533d0acd08e02b2b66e204f2119.jpg

Interesting stuff re Harry's. Thank you.

The chiko looks like it would be great for dunking in the mushy peas. Just looked it up - so much to learn, so little time.:)