2 new ships for 2023 and 2025

dub237

Do we have to wait?

I think we can anticipate more retail stores, more places for pax to increase their onboard spend, and less venue space for non-income producing events.

Well Griller, only if we want to actually know what the build will be.

Don't get me wrong here, I actually like Pacific Princess and river cruises for their smaller intimacies. But I must say that I also love the Royal class ships and find them to be well ordered with plenty of space for privacy as well as offering plenty of variety for things like the Horizon Court. Perhaps I am the eternal optimist, but I can envision a large ship with amenities that are not readily available on the smaller vessels. Flying in a new A380 or B747 is not necessarily less pleasant than a regional jet.

In as much as cruise lines are in the business to maximize their margins across their product, I do expect that there will always be an effort to have the passenger spend more. When it gets too intrusive, we will find another venue to our liking.

However I look forward to cruising on one and seeing what its like.

Although I have 71 cruises on every class of Princess ship since 1993 I do like NCL larger ships with great entertainment occasionally, as well as tiny ones like Wind Surf which has no entertainment. Variety is the spice of life?

I never found a Princess ship I wouldn't go on again except Crown, and that was service issues etc not the ship design.

I didn't see this part on my original read. My apologies. I agree with you

I'm also skittish about LNG and I prefer smaller ships. But I've still got tons of river cruises still to take so I'm not complaining. If mega ships are what it takes to stay competitive, so be it.

I took a Viking oceans cruise and we liked the small ship and lack of nickel and diming...but not enough to justify the cost premium compared to other options like Holland America or Princess. Viking river is awesome though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

YUCK for us too. The handwriting is on the wall...the best days of cruising are behind us. Princess had a special product for a particular demographic...and we liked it that way. The CB installed wine dispensers, had numerous rock concerts on MUTS...see where this is going?

YUCK for us too. The handwriting is on the wall...the best days of cruising are behind us. Princess had a special product for a particular demographic...and we liked it that way. The CB installed wine dispensers, had numerous rock concerts on MUTS...see where this is going?

In spite of the decent loyalty program Princess currently offers the line knows that once they have new ships which appeal to a different type of passenger they will make more money out of those new passengers than they will out of us old fogeys who don't like the nickel and diming.

As a serious stockholder in Carnival I cannot object, as a longtime Princess passenger who liked the old product I am disappointed.

Ms. Swartz announcement uses many of the same superlative adjectives she used a year ago announcing the so far unsuccessful launch of the ***** for a “personal experience”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's personal if you like to be tracked while on the ship. That's the reason for it.

I just got off RCI Symphony and for those who have not been on a larger ship, I can attest boarding was more efficient than Princess, no problems with quiet areas and the ship never felt crowded due to size. A lot more dining options than the stale MDR. My suggestion is to actually try it before one complains

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off RCI Symphony and for those who have not been on a larger ship, I can attest boarding was more efficient than Princess, no problems with quiet areas and the ship never felt crowded due to size. A lot more dining options than the stale MDR. My suggestion is to actually try it before one complains

Concur. As long as they don’t try to imitate Disney World

It is likely that similar negative reactions took place some twenty years ago when the Grand class was announced; perhaps by the same folks who are posting today. Likewise, I remember that the Royal class was met with a similar response by some. Why not wait to see what Princess has in mind for its new class of ship?

Well said.....we love the Royal Class ships and can hardly wait for the new ships recently announced.....Princess need to move to more innovative and new ship designs with way more activities to engage the passengers....it sounds like some Princess cruisers want Princess ships to be nothing more then floating nursing homes.....:cool:

If you are booking a balcony or suit on any line, the luxury lines with smaller ships may be competitive. They tend to include more in the initial price. You do have to shop but there are times that they have good offers often listed here on CC in the find a cruise section.

It's personal if you like to be tracked while on the ship. That's the reason for it.

Like you aren't being tracked every moment of the day at home. :DLOL

Well said.....we love the Royal Class ships and can hardly wait for the new ships recently announced.....Princess need to move to more innovative and new ship designs with way more activities to engage the passengers....it sounds like some Princess cruisers want Princess ships to be nothing more then floating nursing homes.....:cool:

I think the people who are dead set against these new ships think they're being built exclusively for them.

Sure, they'll lose a few of their loyal customers along the way but pick up many more of the younger generation which is what it's all about in the long run.

I say BOO! More "too big" Princess ships in the offing, and I'm sure they will be accompanied by "innovations" that mimic what other cruise lines are doing. That seems to be the thinking of the current upper tier of Princess management. Their "gotta keep up with the Jonses" mentality stinks, IMHO.

That's just plain depressing for someone who has done over 40 cruises with Princess and likes Princess just the way it is, including the ships that precede the Royal class. I would certainly never opt to book a cruise on anything that accommodates enough people to populate a small city. The Grand class ships are the biggest I would ever want to cruise on, while the diminutive Pacific Princess is my very favorite ship in the fleet.

So, Princess, when are you going to respond to your many long-term customers who love small-ship cruising, and contract to build more small (under 1000 passengers) ships?

More a matter of competitive economics, larger ships by more efficient and allow fares to be competitive.

Smaller builds not going to happen on Princess.

4300 not 4500

meh - doesn't sound any/much different from SKY

The ship will feature 1,780 guest cabins, which can accommodate 4,250 passengers. It will also include more than 750 crew cabins. Staterooms will feature contemporary design incorporating luxury beds.

Accommodation categories include 36 suites, 374 mini suites, 1,028 balcony staterooms and 342 inside cabins. The total accommodation capacity of the ship will be approximately 5,600 passengers, including crew.

While I'm a big small ship fan and thought the Sun class was just about perfect I'm surprised how much I like the Royal/Regal class ships. Sailed on the Regal now 4 times and find I'm a fan. I don't think it feels crowded and lots of places to be able to sit and read. Love the huge assortment in the buffet and while I miss the open promenade found I can live without it. Would I like it back YES but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Will be interesting to see deck plans for the new ships

I have been on many Princess cruises and look forward to eventually trying out their newest class of ships. Although I would say that smaller ships would be nice, the realities of the cruise business make it less cost efficient to build smaller ships without charging quite a bit more money for cruises. If we want to have affordable cruises then large ships are the way of the future. If we can want smaller ships then we need to be prepared to pay more.

In the end I wouldn't rule out this new class without trying a cruise on one first.

I tend to like the smaller ships. Golden Princess has been my favorite. Having said that, I like to try new ships. It's kind of funny comparing the comments here with the is princess fleet dated thread.