I'm not a genius, but...

LakeWobegon

Reviewing photos of the dining room wine list for Vista online and see that some wines have a glass and bottle price listed. But some just the bottle price. I am assuming this means you can't get a glass of those particular wines (unless you buy the entire bottle). That kind of sucks, I mean stinks if so. May be the determiner if we do cheers or not as the 2-3 glasses of "good" wine I get each night at dinner is probably the slam dunk factor in whether or not to purchase.

Reviewing photos of the dining room wine list for Vista online and see that some wines have a glass and bottle price listed. But some just the bottle price. I am assuming this means you can't get a glass of those particular wines (unless you buy the entire bottle). That kind of sucks, I mean stinks if so. May be the determiner if we do cheers or not as the 2-3 glasses of "good" wine I get each night at dinner is probably the slam dunk factor in whether or not to purchase.

That is pretty standard restaurant procedure that offer some wines by the glass.

Do you only drink wine? If so then Cheers might not be for you. If you do drink spirits and enjoy several a day while on a cruise, perhaps consider your savings from Cheers and go ahead and buy a bottle of the wine you desire. They do have wine packages available. I am not sure if you can get Cheers and a wine package.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1358/~/enjoy-great-discounts-on-wine-packages-through-our-cruise-the-vineyards

If you want a really good wine with dinner realise that wines that sell for $37 a bottle onboard are $7 at Bevmo. A good wine is available at Costco for $20 to $30 dollars. Cameron Hughes sells $100 to $200 wines for the same money as Costco but you don't know the actual producer, but your pallet will say outstanding.

I open the bottle in my room and carry the glass to the MDR to avoid corkage. Ask your steward for wine glasses.

Thanks for the info. Was just asking for clarification as if anything was different on a Carnival cruise, which I have never been on. Now I know. And no, we drink more than wine. Just if the "higher end" wines are $10 a glass and more limited in choice, we may not choose the Cheers package. I know that higher price does not always = higher quality, better taste when it comes to wine, but in many cases it does.

I also realize that if you are getting 5 glasses of wine a day for two people at dinner (two whites, two reds plus a port for me with dessert), that it might pay for one Cheers fee if you're going with $8-$9 glasses. So many problems to consider. lol

Thanks for the info. Was just asking for clarification as if anything was different on a Carnival cruise, which I have never been on. Now I know. And no, we drink more than wine. Just if the "higher end" wines are $10 a glass and more limited in choice, we may not choose the Cheers package. I know that higher price does not always = higher quality, better taste when it comes to wine, but in many cases it does.

Curious about the mention of $10 a glass. Cheers covers beverages up to $50 not $10. Just so you are measuring correctly. And there are more wines by the glass than are listed on the main dinner menu.

You might want to consider bringing on a bottle each of your favorite wines and then eat at the steakhouse the first night and take advantage of the half price bottle of a higher end wine.

Thanks! I meant all I am seeing online is glasses of wine for $10 or less. This was using Google for searches of Vista wine list images. So its not the main dinner menu but rather the wine list. Or a wine list. Not sure if there is more than one. I didn't see port wine anywhere either, for instance, but dangit, they better have it. lol.

So yes, I know exactly how you feel. I do get the CHEERS package, since trust me, it pays for itself, but when at dinner, I am always torn for a good red wine. I do not feel like buying a wine package, so I do end up just having glass of red that is just ok. In September I will be on Horizon, and we do not get CHEERS on the first night out of NYC, but we have made reservations for that night at the steakhouse, and I do intend to buy wine to take advantage of the half price.

On the positive side, I have actually ordered other drinks at dinner, that I might not have tried if a good red wine was available.

Thanks! I meant all I am seeing online is glasses of wine for $10 or less. This was using Google for searches of Vista wine list images. So its not the main dinner menu but rather the wine list. Or a wine list. Not sure if there is more than one. I didn't see port wine anywhere either, for instance, but dangit, they better have it. lol.
The port wine is on the dessert menu.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Do you only drink wine? If so then Cheers might not be for you. If you do drink spirits and enjoy several a day while on a cruise' date=' perhaps consider your savings from Cheers and go ahead and buy a bottle of the wine you desire. They do have wine packages available. I am not sure if you can get Cheers and a wine package.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1358/~/enjoy-great-discounts-on-wine-packages-through-our-cruise-the-vineyards[/quote']

Why do you say this? We were drinking a $10.95 Cabernet that was pretty decent. We don't just drink wine, but will have 2 glasses with dinner and maybe another 2 for the show or piano bar. We do have a bloody mary or Mimosa in the morning, beers on the deck, and a fooffy drink or 2. Bottom line is a wine drinker could absolutely enjoy Cheers.

Most of the wine by the glass choices sell for $10-15 per bottle at a local retail store. They might be listed for $38-42 on the Carnival menu but that's mostly markup. And as noted the options by the glass are rather limited

yep and just like on land some of the better options will be Washington state, Chilean and Argentinean wines. Heck that's what I generally drink at home but I am able to research it a lot better and know the available options based on Wine Spectator etc before I go shopping

I you really do drink "good" wine, then you should already know that not every wine on every single wine list you will ever see can be purchased by the glass. And it is usually the really "good" wines that are NOT available by the glass. This is because the owners do not want to have many, many, many bottles of the "good" wine sitting around open waiting for the next drinker of "good" wine to order a glass. This is due, as you should already know, that all wines tend to deteriorate the minute they are opened and air gets to them. So, in closing. You should already know this stuff being a "good" wine drinker. Carnival is doing nothing different that any place that has some "good" wines on their wine lists.

You and your Wife can also bring one 750 ml bottle of your own wine on board at embarkation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think Cheers does give a 25% discount to wines by the bottle if you find one you really want and didn't use the 50% off option from the steak house. I don't think the two discounts can be combined (i.e. 25% off 50% off).

Why do you say this? We were drinking a $10.95 Cabernet that was pretty decent. We don't just drink wine, but will have 2 glasses with dinner and maybe another 2 for the show or piano bar. We do have a bloody mary or Mimosa in the morning, beers on the deck, and a fooffy drink or 2. Bottom line is a wine drinker could absolutely enjoy Cheers.

I said this because the OP did not seem to like the wines that were listed by the glass. Personally, I a pro-Cheers all the way!

Yes, I probably could have been more specific in the way I articulated my frustration. It was not to say the wines offered by the glass are not "good." That's a very subjective term. And I have to disagree with the earlier snarky remarks by a poster that "good" wines are not typically offered by the glass. Sometimes they are offered by the box at the liquor store. Not often, but sometimes. And no, I'm not talking about Franzia (lol) or the likes but some "good" winemakers are going this route too these days.

It is that I was expecting more variety in terms of wines offered by the glass, and yes, I have seen greater variety in many of the restaurants I have frequented - at home and my global travels for work. That said all locales, restaurants, ships and businesses are different. I am looking forward to the cruise and am certain we will have a good time. I did end up ordering Cheers last night with my AARP cards, so it shaves 2/3 of the gratuity off the price. Thanks again for the input.