Carnival’s email ruined surprise cruise

cathyhinkle

Same thing happened to me, but fortunately, I was able to intercept it. They automatically send out an e-mail to everyone who has a VIFP number. I booked the cruise and when I got the email, I called Carnival to ask if they sent one out to my husband. She said they did. Thankfully, I knew his e-mail login and password and was able to delete it without him knowing. I do not agree with their policy of notifying everyone.

OP, I am sorry your surprise got spoiled, but on the bright side, now they get to enjoy the fun of anticipation and planning! I sometimes like surprises, but in the case of a cruise, I would much prefer knowing about it. If someone were to surprise me with a cruise, I know I would be grateful and would certainly enjoy the cruise, but I'd also feel like I had missed out on something by not being able to count down the days, research, and plan. I'm sure many feel differently and don't care about those things and that's great too!

I’m doing a surprise cruise for my husband and my 10th anniversary. He knows there is a vacation planned, just not what. He had to request the time off work. It’s two weeks after the actual anniversary so I’ve decided to to tell him on the actual anniversary. When I was doing the online checkin info i almost put his cellphone number in but then changed it to mine and was glad because it sent a text alert! I’ll get him a VIFP after he knows but it’s our first cruise so I didn’t have to worry about discounts.

Yes we travel together once or twice a year. Kids work for our family business so I know when they can get off. Was planning a Christmas in July party to surprise them for a dec 30-jan6 cruise so they had months to get ready for it. The surprise is the problem.

Surprise vacations don't work out for most people. I would be a little annoyed actually if I found out last minute. I have responsibilities to tend to at home, bills to pay, a pet sitter to reserve, and limited vacation time. The gesture is nice, but I think it's better to give notice. Sorry it didn't work out for you but at least they were still surprised!

She was going to give them from July to December's notice.

Never understood the "surprise cruise" concept. Besides all the logistics of time off & stuff, you're denying the other person(s) the participation in both the itinerary and planning as well as the fun of the anticipation. Guess it's a control thing.

Surprise vacations don't work out for most people. I would be a little annoyed actually if I found out last minute. I have responsibilities to tend to at home, bills to pay, a pet sitter to reserve, and limited vacation time. The gesture is nice, but I think it's better to give notice. Sorry it didn't work out for you but at least they were still surprised!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I have never really posted on here before. I usually just read post. My husband and I have 130 days sailing with Carnival alone. Wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. Put deposit on a cruise over Christmas as a surprise to my adult kids and grandkids. Two days later I got an email from carnival saying 168 days until you cruise. Did not think anything about it until my daughter in law texted me So.....I just got this emails from carnival and I am so excited. Then the rest of the family got emails. My surprise was ruined!!! Travel agent only had her and my info on the booking. This was generated by VIFP numbers. Anyone else have something similar happen??

It was still a surprise, no? Just not the timing you wanted. Just curious how many days out were you going to tell them? I agree with others above about surprise vacations being a bad idea.

Surprising my wife is one thing, but to completely make vacation plans over school break with an entire family of adults/kids and not telling them up front, seems like a very dangerous idea. I think surprising them now, is much better than saying, by the way, next week you are going on a cruise, hope you didn't make any plans with your kids etc.

What could be worse if someone has booked their BF or GF to cruise with them, and Carnival sends an email to their spouse about that cruise????

YIKES!!!

Yikes is right! PSA: Sail with lover on a cruise line that neither you nor the ball and chain have been on [emoji39]

It was still a surprise, no? Just not the timing you wanted. Just curious how many days out were you going to tell them? I agree with others above about surprise vacations being a bad idea.

Christmas in July party July 29 and cruise is a New Years Crusin dec 30. So plenty of time to plan especially since it is family and they work for our family business.

Surprising my wife is one thing, but to completely make vacation plans over school break with an entire family of adults/kids and not telling them up front, seems like a very dangerous idea. I think surprising them now, is much better than saying, by the way, next week you are going on a cruise, hope you didn't make any plans with your kids etc.

Probably not dangerous at all being they ALL work for the family business. Mom and Dad have a real good idea of family activities, so risk is minimal .

Probably not dangerous at all being they ALL work for the family business. Mom and Dad have a real good idea of family activities, so risk is minimal .

Only speaking for myself, but if I worked with my Mom and Dad, or for their business where they pretty much knew my activities, I would make sure my vacation did not include my Mom and Dad, even if they were going to pay for it. Too much...too much.

Same thing happened to me, but fortunately, I was able to intercept it. They automatically send out an e-mail to everyone who has a VIFP number. I booked the cruise and when I got the email, I called Carnival to ask if they sent one out to my husband. She said they did. Thankfully, I knew his e-mail login and password and was able to delete it without him knowing. I do not agree with their policy of notifying everyone.

We did this as well, when we booked a surprise cruise for my Dad's 80th. While my Mom was able to go into his email and delete the reservation email that he got, she could not keep up with all of the other emails (want to upgrade, book a shore excursion, here's your spa discount) so he figured it out.

Also--when booking we did request that he not receive emails, however the Carnival agent that we were working with was "hardcore" and wouldn't make any changes to his account without his permission. So, we couldn't delete his email.

Oh well...ALthough he knows about the cruise, he does not, however, know that the rest of his adult children will be meeting him on the ship!!

CeleBrat

I have never really posted on here before. I usually just read post. My husband and I have 130 days sailing with Carnival alone. Wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. Put deposit on a cruise over Christmas as a surprise to my adult kids and grandkids. Two days later I got an email from carnival saying 168 days until you cruise. Did not think anything about it until my daughter in law texted me So.....I just got this emails from carnival and I am so excited. Then the rest of the family got emails. My surprise was ruined!!! Travel agent only had her and my info on the booking. This was generated by VIFP numbers. Anyone else have something similar happen??
I'm so sorry this happened to you! But hey, they WERE surprised, albeit earlier than intended... I know you feel bad now, but I also know the cruise will be a great one!

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]