Is Embarkation deadline really 90 minutes out?

There are some flights out of the Bham, AL airport on Southwest but none are direct. There is one that leaves at 6 am that morning and arrives at 1:05 pm with a layover. But this does absolutely NO help at all so never mind.

Edited by Icesk8rReedy
Re read OG post.

Don't know if it will make a difference but the Miami Dolphins play at home on 12/9 against the Patriots.

Have sailed from Miami when there was a major event like a football game and traffic was much worse than usual. Would think you might want to check into that.

Don't know if it will make a difference but the Miami Dolphins play at home on 12/9 against the Patriots.

Have sailed from Miami when there was a major event like a football game and traffic was much worse than usual. Would think you might want to check into that.

Oof, unless it's a night game that would just make everything worse since the stadium is between FLL and Miami port.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

... so tight schedules don’t stress me at all. I’m trying to fly same-day because I have family event the night before that I’m trying to attend...

It's not that you can handle any stress, it's simply that logistically, you can't do this. Attend your function and then catch the soonest flight after it that you can.

Since my cruise docks at Key West the next day, I’m accepting the fact that I might have to catch the boat there if things go wrong.

See below:

Since this is a closed loop cruise out of Miami, without a "distant" foreign port call, you would not be allowed to join the ship in Key West, as this would be a violation of the PVSA. You would have to join at the first foreign port.

OK, so you need to change your flight. Let us know what you intend to do. I'm too invested in this not to find out! LOL ;p:D

First of all, wanted to confirm what Chegnkp75 mentioned. You can not board a cruise leaving round trip from a US port at another US port. When Disney used to start their Western Caribbean cruises in Key West many people got burned by this and had to fly to Grand Cayman to board. With the new restrictions on Cuba it is also hard to tell how easy/difficult it would be to join in a Cuban port if possible at all.

Second, wanted to share some info on something that keeps delaying my flights to and from Florida (have been moving to LA from Orlando over the past few months.) The airports have gotten VERY aggressive about closing for weather. My last departure was delayed three separate times because weather came within a certain distance of the airport. No baggage can move, no passengers can board or deplane, the entire ramp shuts down. Coming in after noon in September something to consider since thunderstorms will still be almost a daily occurrence.

We all have to cut it close sometimes when traveling but in this case even if everything went perfectly you would really be cutting it close. If there is anyway you can fly in earlier or fly in to Miami I would highly recommend it, especially that time of year.

I have been following and just want to affirm that I don’t think you’re in a situation where it is a risk of the first day. Given your itinerary, I think it’s likely that you are risking your entire cruise. You will not be allowed to board in Key West and Cuba is iffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Terribly sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm reading that by policy all passengers must be on board 90 minutes prior to embarkation. Has anyone been refused boarding for arriving less than 90 minutes out?

I ask because my cruise is scheduled to depart Miami at 4:00pm, and my flight into Ft. Lauderdale arrives at 12:25pm.

After picking up luggage and taking the shuttle, I estimate I'll get to port by 2:00pm. Close, I know, but there are no earlier flights that day.

About 10 years ago, due to traffic and an error with time zones, I arrived at the Barcelona port within 30 minutes of embarkation as wasn't denied boarding, but admittedly that was a different era, country, and cruise line.

Just hoping to hear what *actually* happens in Miami if arriving "late."

Thanks!

Nobody can be onboard 90 minutes before embarkation. It is impossible. Embarkation is when you board. You can't board 90 minutes before you board.

The cruise lines are required to provide paperwork to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to departing. If the cruise line wants to depart at 4pm, then the paperwork has to be in by 3pm. If the paperwork is not sent until 3:15pm, then the ship cannot leave until 4:15pm. So yes, people who are late have been denied boarding.

Nobody can be onboard 90 minutes before embarkation. It is impossible. Embarkation is when you board. You can't board 90 minutes before you board.

The cruise lines are required to provide paperwork to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to departing. If the cruise line wants to depart at 4pm, then the paperwork has to be in by 3pm. If the paperwork is not sent until 3:15pm, then the ship cannot leave until 4:15pm. So yes, people who are late have been denied boarding.

Uh, no. As I posted earlier, the time limit for submitting the passenger manifest is 15 minutes prior to departure.

Uh, no. As I posted earlier, the time limit for submitting the passenger manifest is 15 minutes prior to departure.

So it takes the ship 75 minutes to get the paperwork put together. I know people have been turned away for being late. Kind of like arriving at the airport and the gates have already been closed. It is the same "I'm sorry - no!"

From CBP

"For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit passenger

and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United

States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure"

https://www.cbp.gov/bulletins/41genno37.pdf

From CBP

"For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit passenger

and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United

States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure"

https://www.cbp.gov/bulletins/41genno37.pdf

Okay, I appear to be incorrect, as this was apparently modified between the 2007 implementation of APIS and the 2008 final rule.

5 years ago my flight was scheduled to land in Miami at 1205 and anchor aweigh at 1600 in Miami. Lots of time. Plane was a bit late leaving, circled Philly for 20 minutes (stressed wife then). Land and get to gate, lots of time for connection.

Departure delayed, then gate change. I ask the agent and am told the plane broke, they are bringing another one from the hangar (thankully it's a main hub). Departure was 1215.... Landed in Miami at 1435 and all I can say is:

Thank you cruise port transfer and for the folks who book air through the cruise line! I knew the ship would wait.

Bonus: no lines or thorough checks when you're that late! They want you on the boat

Now, we go up the day before. It's more relaxed.

I assume that Royal and Carnival must obey the same laws and regulations. Just an FYI, Carnival lists final boarding time as 60 minutes before scheduled departure.

Maybe Carnival is more efficient than Royal Caribbean. Having seen how well Royal Caribbean's IT department works, that is easy to believe.

Maybe Carnival is more efficient than Royal Caribbean. Having seen how well Royal Caribbean's IT department works, that is easy to believe.

I can assure you that although recently RCI's IT has really sucked, they both have less than stellar websites and IT.

I can assure you that although recently RCI's IT has really sucked, they both have less than stellar websites and IT.

That does no eliminate the possibility that Carnival is more efficient than Royal Caribbean.