Disappointed over menu choices in MDR

I'm sure someone here who has cruised a lot can answer this. Thank you. Does the "no sugar added" dessert mean exactly that - no sugar added? Or does it mean that they have used an artificial sweetener like Splenda?

Artificial, but works just fine with me for lowering sugar intake. :)

There may be repeated types of meats or pastas but they do change.

Fish ? A few different types, prepared differently.

Same for beef, chicken, lamb or pork.

How is this any different from almost ANY restaurant people go to??

I'll have lamb chops one night and a few days later lamb shanks ??

Pasta Bolognese one night and Al Fredo another.

bosco

There is a limited number of foods which are on the menu every night. Most items do change from night to night. I think the always-available foods are a good idea - if your kid is a picky eater, but he'll eat steak or spaghetti, then you don't have to listen to the whining every night of your vacation.

We mostly eat at specialty restaurants not because MDR food sucks, but because we enjoy the specialty restaurants. We maybe do 2 or 3 MDR nights in any given cruise, but we always enjoy it there as well.

I really do think people are going in with overly high expectations. You aren't going to find French Laundry or Per Se on a ship. If that's the level of food you're looking for, you should consider a land-based vacation in places that have a good representation of Michelin-starred restaurants.

But I often see MDR compared (unfavorably) to Applebees, which makes me think there must be a secret Applebees somewhere that's completely different from every other Applebees on the planet. ;)

MDR food is fine. Most of the food is good. Some is very good. It will not be the best meal of your life, but it will be far from the worst, and odds are it will be better than what you eat on average at home.

Just got off of Majesty in June...thought the menu was meh. One night we ate at Johnny Rockets. The other nights we went back to the MDR and asked for the kids menu as well. Sometimes we ordered off that menu instead. Still had a wonderful cruise with great service!! But we did miss having a Chops on board.

We noticed the change to the MD menus on our last cruise on the Majesty of the Seas earlier this month. We were totally disappointed when we found out that this was a fleet wide change, because the new MD menus are terrible compared to the old spice menus.

The old spice menus had a lot more variety and most of the items I loved off the old menus were not added to the new menus which is extremely disappointing. I ended up eating the Cesar salad and the cheesecake all 4 nights on the MOS because the other choices were so terrible. I loved ordering the fruit soups and they are no longer available in the MD. This was a terrible change on the part of RCCL. I really wish they would go back to the old menus.

My DW misses the cold soups also....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

agreed with original poster, we just got off Oasis and the same things with couple changes each night and if you eat in the MDR every night it gets old plus the quality isn't very good. Royal has so many specialty restaurants that there is where you get the better quality food and service but we refuse to pay these higher and higher up charges when food is included in the price of the cruise!

HThere's one dish in particular that I've ordered every single night (aside from the odd, and I mean odd trip into a spec restaurant) and that is the escargot and we've generally found the food to be of a decent standard! !

I could eat that every day and be a happy happy woman. Very good!

There is a limited number of foods which are on the menu every night. Most items do change from night to night. I think the always-available foods are a good idea - if your kid is a picky eater, but he'll eat steak or spaghetti, then you don't have to listen to the whining every night of your vacation.

We mostly eat at specialty restaurants not because MDR food sucks, but because we enjoy the specialty restaurants. We maybe do 2 or 3 MDR nights in any given cruise, but we always enjoy it there as well.

I really do think people are going in with overly high expectations. You aren't going to find French Laundry or Per Se on a ship. If that's the level of food you're looking for, you should consider a land-based vacation in places that have a good representation of Michelin-starred restaurants.

But I often see MDR compared (unfavorably) to Applebees, which makes me think there must be a secret Applebees somewhere that's completely different from every other Applebees on the planet. ;)

MDR food is fine. Most of the food is good. Some is very good. It will not be the best meal of your life, but it will be far from the worst, and odds are it will be better than what you eat on average at home.

My thoughts exactly. We generally take 12 night cruises on anthem. Going in early Jan next. We will eat in MDR 7 or 8 times. Chops a couple times, etc. What's with the complaining? I know of NO restaurants that offer a 'unique' menu nightly, weekly, or monthly. A special of the day maybe. NO MATTER WHAT YOU PAID FOR CRUISE, IT A GREAT DEAL!!! You didn't have to cook it. The service is generally very good. Maybe you think the excursions should be free....... Maybe they should just have free play on the slots..... bet the OP was a great tipper as well. Here's an idea..... EAT DINNER ON AN ISLAND.20170211_130439.thumb.jpg.47781d2685f82a0b3227e0260d3df6a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

20170217_193614.thumb.jpg.c141651cadda3f6a40f54b4165e95cd3.jpg

20170210_161500.thumb.jpg.0669ff379e472311be2b0e5a9cdbaebe.jpg

My thoughts exactly. We generally take 12 night cruises on anthem. Going in early Jan next. We will eat in MDR 7 or 8 times. Chops a couple times, etc. What's with the complaining? I know of NO restaurants that offer a 'unique' menu nightly, weekly, or monthly. A special of the day maybe. NO MATTER WHAT YOU PAID FOR CRUISE, IT A GREAT DEAL!!! You didn't have to cook it. The service is generally very good. Maybe you think the excursions should be free....... Maybe they should just have free play on the slots..... bet the OP was a great tipper as well. Here's an idea..... EAT DINNER ON AN ISLAND.[ATTACH]425814[/ATTACH][ATTACH]425815[/ATTACH][ATTACH]425816[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

It's astonishing to hear people complain about the MDR. I'm with you, that looks great and we always have a really awesome MDR dinner when cruising. The menu changes every night with several new items, it would have never occurred to me to complain about a lack of variety when you get several new items every night. I look at it more along the lines of "This is what the chef's are preparing for you tonight" as opposed to a large restaurant menu. Maybe these people should stay home and visit Cheesecake Factory instead? Maybe still not a big enough menu? ;)

It's astonishing to hear people complain about the MDR. I'm with you, that looks great and we always have a really awesome MDR dinner when cruising. The menu changes every night with several new items, it would have never occurred to me to complain about a lack of variety when you get several new items every night. I look at it more along the lines of "This is what the chef's are preparing for you tonight" as opposed to a large restaurant menu. Maybe these people should stay home and visit Cheesecake Factory instead? Maybe still not a big enough menu? ;)

So you did not even notice it is NOT RCI food? :eek:

My thoughts exactly.

This forum needs a like button. ;)

And whatever that thing is in the 3rd picture, I'll take three. That looks lovely.

I get the people who say they won't go specialty because they already paid for the food but... I mean, I already paid for the continental breakfast at the HoJo, but if there's a good place for chilaquiles in town, I'm goin' there! ;)