Will HAL prepare a picnic lunch to take on port days?

SeaWatch

Australia is one country where you cannot bring in any food off the ship. Or a plane.

Also New Zealand.

And, arriving into the country by plane and not declaring any food items, will bring a $400.00 fine

While you are not supposed to do it, I have seen it done multiple times. People whip up small sandwiches in Lido in the morning and eat them for lunch. I remember one couple that did that at every port on one cruise.

They must have had what seems to be a fairly common type of “food sensitivity”: there are those who cannot tolerate any food they must pay for if there is ANY alternative.

They must have had what seems to be a fairly common type of “food sensitivity”: there are those who cannot tolerate any food they must pay for if there is ANY alternative.

Would your sensitivity be toward such individuals? ;-)

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

If all you need is a "jelly sandwich" for a picnic, why not bring some type of granola bars from home in their original sealed packages. Those will be acceptable. No worries. Ship stores have some prepackaged snacks too.

I like cheese, but I appreciate your suggestion.

I wouldn't do it first of all because I don't want to break any laws of a foreign country I am visiting as a guest. I also never want to miss one of the fun things of traveling- getting a real taste of how the locals live and food is an important part of that. A cruise ship sandwich while in Paris, Bermuda, or San Juan? I don't think so!

I'm always amazed at people who think that rules and regulations do not apply to them. The reason that most countries do not want people to do this is to prevent contamination from ship's food (mostly meat and produce) from being introduced into their county. Why on earth would people feel that it's okay to do it anyway. We need to encourage folks to NOT to do this, regardless if some have gotten away with it.

What rules? No one told us we couldn't take sandwiches on excursions ashore.

I wouldn't do it first of all because I don't want to break any laws of a foreign country I am visiting as a guest. I also never want to miss one of the fun things of traveling- getting a real taste of how the locals live and food is an important part of that. A cruise ship sandwich while in Paris, Bermuda, or San Juan? I don't think so!

Some locals I’m sure would opt for the ship sandwich over certain restaurants. Maybe even in France. But good point. There’s something to be said for taking the chance the local venue you end up at is of good quality.

I like cheese, but I appreciate your suggestion.

There are cheese packets too that have a non-refrigerated shelf life. Like the Swiss Laughing Cow little packets. Or those individually wrapped mozzarella sticks which hold up very well during travel. Put some in your cabin fridge.

There are cheese packets too that have a non-refrigerated shelf life. Like the Swiss Laughing Cow little packets. Or those individually wrapped mozzarella sticks which hold up very well during travel. Put some in your cabin fridge.

Thanks for the ideas. My next cruise will include several travel days before boarding, and I’m not sure my cabin will even have a fridge. No biggie. I’ll just try to be informed, and perhaps casually covert.:o

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
Silly post

How WILL they advise on this? Please share your specific experience.
Many times we have heard the CD state this when he announced that the gangway is open for debarkation. Not all ports have such a law however.

33 years ago, we took a China tour with my mom. She told us to bring plenty of snacks as she was unsure what quality of food they had. Flying back, we breezed through customs in San Francisco with 4 bulging suit cases and 4 carry-ons. Then we got to the food/drug checkpoint. They asked "do you have any fruit". I replied we still had a small bag of dried apples left over from the trip, that we had purchased at a supermarket in Denver. From his expression, you would have thought I was bringing in drugs or something. I offered to give the apples to them (we had no further need for them) and that horrified him as well. They didn't fine us, but certainly put the fear of (California) government in us.

Australia is a special case. They not only do not allow food, but in general anything organic is prohibited. This turned out to be an issue when my wife and daughter cruised to Sydney, as they had bought tourist stuff on the various Pacific islands that Australia didn't like (carved coconuts, woven reed hats). I sent a dozen little glass bottles with them, and asked them to collect sand from every island beach. They did manage to get the customs people to let them bring them, by showing they were sealed and were for a collection. But it was a close thing.

There is not any reason that if I board a ship in Seattle I can not bring along an apple when we dock in Juneau. The ability of some here to create rules that don’t exist is impressive! Of course, follow the guidelines of the ship, ask if you are unsure, and make yourself a sandwich if you’re allowed and you so desire.

There is not any reason that if I board a ship in Seattle I can not bring along an apple when we dock in Juneau. The ability of some here to create rules that don’t exist is impressive! Of course, follow the guidelines of the ship, ask if you are unsure, and make yourself a sandwich if you’re allowed and you so desire.
"if you're allowed" are the operative words. Of course, if it's not against any regulations in your port, then go right ahead. I don't think anyone inferred that you could NEVER do this, but to be prepared that there would be a very good chance that you would not be permitted.

Sadly it can't be done. But it was a good idea.

One time when we knew we were going to spend time at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, we stopped at a store not too far from the dock and bought some bread and cheese and took that with us.

Maybe you can find a store near your dock and pick up a few items to take with you.

That is a good plan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you understand why there would be rules against this?