Airline cancelled flight, missed cruise, options?

laur371

This doesn’t solve your problem, but may ease the pain.

I have heard many times the insurance does not cover cancelled flights unless the cruise line booked for you. So in short even with insurance it would not be covered.

We recently booked flights for June 2019 and i booked insurance with airline. After i read the policy i cancelled it because it also wasn’t worth a flip.

This doesn’t solve your problem, but may ease the pain.

I have heard many times the insurance does not cover cancelled flights unless the cruise line booked for you. So in short even with insurance it would not be covered.

We recently booked flights for June 2019 and i booked insurance with airline. After i read the policy i cancelled it because it also wasn’t worth a flip.

This simply is not true for all situations.

Maybe this would be the situation IF you get travel insurance THROUGH the cruise line, but it's not generally the case if one gets third-party insurance. (And that's advisable for many reasons, this being one of them. It wouldn't be only things paid through the cruise line that are covered, etc.)

One needs to check the terms of the specific policy one has or is planning to get.

And that's where an insurance broker can be a terrific help, by helping you compare the key features of a variety of insurance policies from a variety of insurers.

This type of situation (described by OP) is *exactly* the type of thing covered by many insurance policies, which is why several others suggested that travel insurance would have been prudent, etc.

GC

Hi! It was from Newark, NJ airport. We quickly looked for any other airport they could fly from today (EWR, JFK, Phila, Boston, CT, Delaware, Maryland, etc). Nothing under $1000 one way that would get them there on time. We looked on ALL carriers.

The airline they originally booked was Spirit Airlines (Again, I know, I know. Never fly Spirit. I warned my parents but they didn't believe me how bad Spirit is).

Sorry your parents missed their cruise. Can't imagine how disappointing that must be but... Are you sure it wasn't bad weather that caused flights to be cancelled?

My cousin was to fly from PHL to Las Vegas last night--her flight was cancelled due to weather.

Also, a good friend of ours who's been a flight attendant for 20 years, was able to dine out with us tonight because her flight into EWR was cancelled tonight due to weather (as was her flight last night).

While I have sympathy for the poster and parents missing their cruise. I have to say, I would be kind of ticked off is someone that didn't purchase trip insurance got a refund from the cruise line. I only say that because in all of my cruises, I have purchased the trip insurance, it's amounted to thousands of dollars. I don't want to but I know its a necessity. Thank goodness I have never had to use it.

How fair is it for people to be responsible and purchase it and then someone that doesn't want to spend the extra money get refunded? What the heck am I paying for it for then. I'd rather not spend the extra either but I know things can happen and so I do.

Edited by tonit964
spelling

While I have sympathy for the poster and parents missing their cruise. I have to say, I would be kind of ticked off is someone that didn't purchase trip insurance got a refund from the cruise line. I only say that because in all of my cruises, I have purchased the trip insurance, it's amounted to thousands of dollars. I don't want to but I know its a necessity. Thank goodness I have never had to use it.

How fair is it for people to be responsible and purchase it and then someone that doesn't want to spend the extra money get refunded? What the heck am I paying for it for then. I'd rather not spend the extra either but I know things can happen and so I do.

Thousands of dollars just for the trip insurance? Or thousands for the cost of the cruise plus the trip insurance? Are you buying your policy through the cruise line? We always buy a comprehensive trip insurance policy, but NOT thru the cruise line.

I always buy travel insurance...

Now.

Been cruising for 16 years now... But I was a new cruiser once--and didn't initially realize the many ramifications of not doing so...

Cruise Critic educated me.

After our first few uninsured cruises, I've never sailed without insurance.

OP doesn't have a long history with cruise critic and may be new to cruising. Possibly her parents are new cruisers...and possibly senior citizens...and maybe infrequent flyers (maybe not internet savvy).

Not necessarily irresponsibility.

Thousands of dollars just for the trip insurance? Or thousands for the cost of the cruise plus the trip insurance? Are you buying your policy through the cruise line? We always buy a comprehensive trip insurance policy, but NOT thru the cruise line.

I think the poster is saying the travel insurance has amounted to "thousands of dollars" cumulatively (accounting for all the trips they've purchased it for over the years) regardless of where it was purchased.

Too late for this time but... besides Trenton (TTN), did you check ABE (Lehigh valley international airport), ACY (Atlantic city), Harrisburg, and Scranton airports? Go to Wikipedia for each airport and they list all the carriers and each carriers' destinations (e.g., Allegiant ABE). Too late for now but another idea that hopefully you won't need going forward!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Too late for this time but... besides Trenton (TTN), did you check ABE (Lehigh valley international airport), ACY (Atlantic city), Harrisburg, and Scranton airports? Go to Wikipedia for each airport and they list all the carriers and each carriers' destinations (e.g., Allegiant ABE). Too late for now but another idea that hopefully you won't need going forward!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Again sorry for OP's parents...

But I do believe weather in the area was the issue. I asked DH about weather in Northeast PA where his mom lives. She reported high winds like she'd never seen before in years...

So I think Wilkes Barre Scranton Airport was even out of the question.

I only say that because in all of my cruises, I have purchased the trip insurance, it's amounted to thousands of dollars.

The poster stated 'in all of my cruises ...' Which probably means YEARS of cruising and paying for each insurance policy for each cruise has added up to thousands of dollars. SMH :rolleyes:

Again sorry for OP's parents...

But I do believe weather in the area was the issue. I asked DH about weather in Northeast PA where his mom lives. She reported high winds like she'd never seen before in years...

So I think Wilkes Barre Scranton Airport was even out of the question.

So does the flight being cancelled due to weather automatically get the couple a full refund? I don't understand how the weather would matter.

So does the flight being cancelled due to weather automatically get the couple a full refund? I don't understand how the weather would matter.

I believe people are debating this issue because under EU regulations, you are entitled to more compensation if the flight is delayed/cancelled due to issues other than weather (i.e. you can't fly due to their mechanical issues or overbooking). However, this is a domestic flight operating under FAA jurisdiction, which technically entitles them only to a refund of their cancelled flight and not the cruise or excursions irregardless of the cause of the cancellation. However, if this were the fault of the airline I think people are arguing it might be worth politely calling and requesting additional compensation or credit from the airline, which they are not legally required to provide.

Even with the baggage charge they usually are way, way better in price than others.

DW and I know their personal item size, which is free, and can pack quite nicely in them.

1 checked bag is very doable for a week, with the personal item size.

Not in California. I've looked quite a number of times for both casual vacation and business where both myself and the client are very flexible on appointment times. I think there's too much competition here. It's never been cheaper after the baggage charge. I have found it cheaper if I don't have luggage, but not enough to be worth any headaches dealing with them. I have no status with Southwest, but they let me make whatever reasonable changes I want (take an earlier flight, take the flight next gate over to another nearby airport, etc) without any cost and luggage is included. Between Southwest and JetBlue, there's really no reason to fly Spirit out of California.

Hi All,

My parents had their first cruise this morning, They were supposed to land 15 hours before the cruise departed, because they wanted to plan for possible flight delays. What they didn't expect was the airline to flat out cancel the flight, with no flights for 48 hours.

Anyway, please spare me all the "you should have gotten travel insurance" comments, because obviously, yes they should have. I have learned for the future. Also, this was a NCL Sky weekend cruise stopping at private island, so there is no port to fly to.

But at this point, anything they CAN do? I assume not, and all the money is spent, but does NCL ever give credits for future cruise or anything? I assume not, but wanted to check.

Thank you and I hope this serves as a warning for others. It isn't just delays to watch out for, sometimes airlines CANCEL flights. Even when there is NO WEATHER issues. Weather is fine today. This was an airline issue.

The only thing I can suggest is take it up with the airline. What a disappointment but I am glad as least, you realize a lesson has been learned. I am so sorry for your parents.

We are worried and we always go a day ahead of time, about our flight out next Feb. It is rare we have such bad weather that our airport is closed or we have huge delays, but it does happen about once a year and in some years even more. I know flying all the way to San Juan, even allowing that extra day is scary.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I only say that because in all of my cruises, I have purchased the trip insurance, it's amounted to thousands of dollars.

The poster stated 'in all of my cruises ...' Which probably means YEARS of cruising and paying for each insurance policy for each cruise has added up to thousands of dollars. SMH :rolleyes:

I have to say, even if the insurance has added up to thousands of $$ it just takes one disaster to realize it is worth it. think of how much 1 cruise can cost. We did not always take insurance but we do now. We know someone who did not, he had to be air lifted and the total bill: $35,000. You can buy a lot of insurance for that kind of money.

Has anyone ever seen this work? I will do anything to make my parents happy, including the most heartfelt letter of all time! But I want to know there is a shot in heck of it working first though.

Compose a brief but concise letter which explains what happened with the airline.

Ask if your parents' fare can be refunded, or if they can receive credit toward another cruise, perhaps one that leaves within driving distance.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Not in California. I've looked quite a number of times for both casual vacation and business where both myself and the client are very flexible on appointment times. I think there's too much competition here. It's never been cheaper after the baggage charge. I have found it cheaper if I don't have luggage, but not enough to be worth any headaches dealing with them. I have no status with Southwest, but they let me make whatever reasonable changes I want (take an earlier flight, take the flight next gate over to another nearby airport, etc) without any cost and luggage is included. Between Southwest and JetBlue, there's really no reason to fly Spirit out of California.

Yep must be the difference between the left and right Coast. LOL

Flying from Midwest to Fla. or other East Coast city's I've only found Spirit more expensive than a Major carrier once, with one exception.

Next year's 2 week timeframe around New Years is ridiculous, Delta was less expensive.

With Spirit MC , DW and I have flown R/T to Fort Myers for 50.00 total using points/miles.

With airlines it becomes a game, when to book.

People swear by SW because your bags are free. I've never found flights that "fit" our needs.

Yep must be the difference between the left and right Coast. LOL

Flying from Midwest to Fla. or other East Coast city's I've only found Spirit more expensive than a Major carrier once, with one exception.

Next year's 2 week timeframe around New Years is ridiculous, Delta was less expensive.

With Spirit MC , DW and I have flown R/T to Fort Myers for 50.00 total using points/miles.

With airlines it becomes a game, when to book.

People swear by SW because your bags are free. I've never found flights that "fit" our needs.

People swear by southwest, and almost any other airline compared to Spirit, because they treat you like a human being. But I guess there is a price on decency, since spirit stays in business.

Sorry your parents missed their cruise. Can't imagine how disappointing that must be but... Are you sure it wasn't bad weather that caused flights to be cancelled

I am now positive it wasn't weather related. Spirit told my parents it was a pilot issue (he didn't report to work and they didn't have a backup, or something like that)

My MIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had to cancel a suite on the POA. NCL was very sympathetic, but still applied the cancellation policy and she lost 75% of the fare. Port charges, prepaid gratuities, and the 20% service charge of UBP and dining package were reimbursed at 100%.

They were able to use trip insurance through a credit card to recover the cost of one of the airfares. Too bad they didn’t use the same credit card for the cruise fare.

A hard learned lesson: DW booked her flight on United. MIL was booked on Delta. United allowed cash reimbursement for the death or terminal illness of a family member. Delta only allowed for a credit for a future flight within a certain number of months. MIL passed away less than four months after she was supposed to go on the cruise.

Edit: I recall that both airlines charged a change fee for the cancellation so they were both out of pocket.

I just wanted to say I am sorry your family had to deal with a diagnosis and a cruise cancellation. That is so stressful . It reminds me to count my blessings that my parents cruise was cancelled because of an airline, not health reasons.

Has anyone ever seen this work? I will do anything to make my parents happy, including the most heartfelt letter of all time! But I want to know there is a shot in heck of it working first though.

Why do you need a shot in hell? Costs you nothing to make a phone call to customer service, explain what happened and see what they say. Stop having a defeatist attitude. Be polite, reasonable and you might be surprised they may give you something. Also, as someone else stated look at the credit card used to see if they have some sort of travel insurance.

Why do you need a shot in hell? Costs you nothing to make a phone call to customer service, explain what happened and see what they say. Stop having a defeatist attitude. Be polite, reasonable and you might be surprised they may give you something. Also, as someone else stated look at the credit card used to see if they have some sort of travel insurance.

Hi, The credit card has nothing to offer in terms of recourse/insurance/anything. I spent multiple hours on the phone with them. Also, I already called customer service and got escalated to many supervisors. I was polite and to the point. They mentioned I write a letter to guest services, which I did. I have to wait 15 days for a response. The reason I asked that question is just to know the likelihood from other travelers on Cruise Critic. 15 days is a long time to wait. My letter is already sent. Now, I want to know others experiences! From the few I read, it looks like my chances are slim to none.

Hi, The credit card has nothing to offer in terms of recourse/insurance/anything. I spent multiple hours on the phone with them. Also, I already called customer service and got escalated to many supervisors. I was polite and to the point. They mentioned I write a letter to guest services, which I did. I have to wait 15 days for a response. The reason I asked that question is just to know the likelihood from other travelers on Cruise Critic. 15 days is a long time to wait. My letter is already sent. Now, I want to know others experiences! From the few I read, it looks like my chances are slim to none.

Yes, "slim to none", and I'd drop the "slim to" from that phrase.

To be fair, try to think how this would affect all of those who DO spend money (it adds up!) on travel insurance.

Same as with car insurance... if one doesn't purchase collision coverage, then one has only one's self to pay for any such damage.

Think of it this way: It was a short and relatively inexpensive trip.

I am NOT taking the approach above that it shouldn't matter. But your parents *might* have purchased a more expensive trip, so "at least" this was on the "low end" of travel costs.

AND now they and you know for the future, so hopefully there won't be other expensive trips that aren't insured ;)

GC