Airline cancelled flight, missed cruise, options?

laur371

I think the poster is saying the travel insurance has amounted to "thousands of dollars" cumulatively (accounting for all the trips they've purchased it for over the years) regardless of where it was purchased.

Yes, that's what I was saying.

I think the poster is saying the travel insurance has amounted to "thousands of dollars" cumulatively (accounting for all the trips they've purchased it for over the years) regardless of where it was purchased.

Yes, that's what I was saying.

This may be the case in this instance.

But I don't get the comments questioning the cost of the insurance.

The cost reflects a variety of terms of the coverage, from length of trip, age of travelers, and, importantly, the cost of the trip.

For someone who spends into 5-figures for a single vacation, it shouldn't be at all surprising that the cost of the travel insurance is into 4 digits ("thousands"), and especially if the travelers are older which often adds to the cost, depending upon type of coverage.

We've had several trips where the insurance cost was well into 4 figures.

(And we know at least one person who regularly spends 6 figures per vacation for his family. That's certainly not us, but we do spend more on "travel" than any other discretionary expense. That's what "this stage" of our life was intended to be, and we are enjoying it thoroughly.)

And... because of a two large claims (one each), we are still ahead in terms of premiums paid and claims recovered, but after the last trip, it's closer to even. We hope that the costs start to exceed any claims, as each claim means something didn't go quite right.

GC

Spirit by far is one of the worst airlines on the planet. There schedule is a joke and when they have a mechanical issue they don’t have a backup plane available as a fill in. If a scheduled flight is cancelled you may be stuck at your departure location for days until a spot is available on the plane. I would rather stay home than fly with them.

The cancellation policy was agreed upon when the cruise was booked. You are entitled to a refund of the port taxes. Nothing else. EVERYONE seems to think they have a good "excuse" for a refund, and it perplexes me, why all the exception/entitlement perceptions???

The only option I can suggest appling for is with the credit card payment. Essential documentation, screen shot the canceled flight notice. BUT it appears, there WAS an available flight, but you didn't want to pay for it??? That may negate any claim.

Budget Queen,

All, I can say is that you will never know that answer till you are in the same situation some day . And hopefully you never know and stay perplexed. :)

The "EVERYONE" mentioned in your post are those who think that the glass is half full.

Many times exceptions are made, hopeless situations reversed and impossible is made possible. It is not for anyone to judge. If it happens it happens. Hopefully you will have a brighter outlook.

Sorry for the loss. Its always best to find silver linings. At least it was a inexpensive short Sky cruise. Can you imagine if it was a 7 night or Haven cruise.

The thing that irks me is the delay in getting your parents to south Florida. Besides Miami International Airport, there is also Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. I imagine some airline could have got them to south Florida and they could have taken the Tri-Rail or cab to the port.

The thing that irks me is the delay in getting your parents to south Florida. Besides Miami International Airport, there is also Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. I imagine some airline could have got them to south Florida and they could have taken the Tri-Rail or cab to the port.

As a general suggestion for the future- IF this happens, I strongly suggest- immediately, looking for alternatives. and take what you can get. It was mentioned, a flight was found, but they didn't want to pay the fare. It sounds like they let time go by delaying their "action" in attempting to find something else.

It is NOT easy to get seats on same day flights to Florida- you are looking at on average 85% loads, at least. So a single- 120 passenger flight cancels. It's only going to be the early seekers who are going to find desirable seats. There aren't going to magic seats openting up.

So I suggest, when flying in the day prior, have at least 4 flights following- with Florida. Don't back yourself in the corner, because you "don't want to get up" and consider leaving on the first flight out. I fly under different circumstances, but I try to get out on the first flight possible. Time isn't going to run out on you as quickly.

I fly every few weeks and see the revenue standbys pretty frequently. when canceled flights are involved. looking for alternative routing can open up space. So this quoted option, above for West Palm Beach is excellent. Tri rail is simple and takes you to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

I feel bad for your parents. Spirit is crap, but you already knew that.

There are some that feel otherwise, Spirit is crap is your opinion.

My dealings/flights with Spirit are totally different. And like most things the truth is somewhere in between.

i will say that I have 4 airports within 2 1/2 hour drive I can use, so options are available and " Work"!

And you are on the left coast (West), Midwest to Right Coast (East) we have better ( more) options.

There are some that feel otherwise, Spirit is crap is your opinion.

It's not really an "opinion" - there are studies and survey data that support "Spirit is crap" as they are consistently ranked at the bottom or near it. It's kind of just a fact. You may like those low fares, more power to you, but that doesn't change the fact that they are the worst US airline in a variety of important metrics.

Pretty much everyone I know who has flown Spirit once, will never use them again. I can think of one person who will deal with it for the low fees. It seems like every year or so one of my family or friends will have a Spirit horror story. It's so unbelievably unique to Spirit, too. I just never hear these things about other airlines. Sure, issues happen with all carriers, but Spirit is uniquely the "oh boy, won't do that again" airline.

It's not really an "opinion" - there are studies and survey data that support "Spirit is crap" as they are consistently ranked at the bottom or near it. It's kind of just a fact. You may like those low fares, more power to you, but that doesn't change the fact that they are the worst US airline in a variety of important metrics.

Pretty much everyone I know who has flown Spirit once, will never use them again. I can think of one person who will deal with it for the low fees. It seems like every year or so one of my family or friends will have a Spirit horror story. It's so unbelievably unique to Spirit, too. I just never hear these things about other airlines. Sure, issues happen with all carriers, but Spirit is uniquely the "oh boy, won't do that again" airline.

I had just started a new job and Concur said I would be in violation if I didn't take Spirit SEA-LAS because of price. I told my boss that I would either drive or quit first.

To the OP, I applaud your efforts in trying to get your parents a positive resolution. You did everything you could ahead of time to warn them of the pitfalls in their planning. It can be difficult sometimes to convince our elders that we do, on occasion, know of what we speak. It sounds as if you are well aware that if you don't ask, the answer will always be no. So kudos for going above and beyond in trying to help them.

One thing I've learned from being on this message board for quite a few years now is there are a wealth of Monday morning quarterbacks on here. You are well aware of the woulda, shoulda, coulda scenarios so just ignore the abrasive posts. I am always amused by those that state unequivocally that they are always prepared, always purchase insurance, always fly in three days ahead, etc, etc. I ask them, where did you first learn to do all this preparation? More than likely by, at some point in time, being in a similar situation. We all know it all until we don't.

Hi All,

My parents had their first cruise this morning, They were supposed to land 15 hours before the cruise departed, because they wanted to plan for possible flight delays. What they didn't expect was the airline to flat out cancel the flight, with no flights for 48 hours.

Anyway, please spare me all the "you should have gotten travel insurance" comments, because obviously, yes they should have. I have learned for the future. Also, this was a NCL Sky weekend cruise stopping at private island, so there is no port to fly to.

But at this point, anything they CAN do? I assume not, and all the money is spent, but does NCL ever give credits for future cruise or anything? I assume not, but wanted to check.

Thank you and I hope this serves as a warning for others. It isn't just delays to watch out for, sometimes airlines CANCEL flights. Even when there is NO WEATHER issues. Weather is fine today. This was an airline issue.

$$$$$ down the drain.

To the OP, I applaud your efforts in trying to get your parents a positive resolution. You did everything you could ahead of time to warn them of the pitfalls in their planning. It can be difficult sometimes to convince our elders that we do, on occasion, know of what we speak. It sounds as if you are well aware that if you don't ask, the answer will always be no. So kudos for going above and beyond in trying to help them.

One thing I've learned from being on this message board for quite a few years now is there are a wealth of Monday morning quarterbacks on here. You are well aware of the woulda, shoulda, coulda scenarios so just ignore the abrasive posts. I am always amused by those that state unequivocally that they are always prepared, always purchase insurance, always fly in three days ahead, etc, etc. I ask them, where did you first learn to do all this preparation? More than likely by, at some point in time, being in a similar situation. We all know it all until we don't.

It is hard for us oldsters to realize kids are not totally stupid, but by the time we reached our 80s we did start listening to them: sometimes that is. ;p

I must be incredibly lucky then to be an exception to the studies and surveys. Is Spirit towards the bottom OK, but the flights I've been on ( close to 20 or more) have been mostly full.

I've saved hundreds , if not thousands of dollars. I've never missed a cruise or had a flight cancelled.

When and if I can find compatible flights on other carriers , I do use them.

Happens to be that Delta works best next time, best price, best flight times for our flight to FLL in January.

Spirit that bad?

We have scheduled a Spirit flight Boston to Ft Lauderdale in January the day before the cruise, should I be worried?

I think you should at least be very prepared with alternative plans. The biggest con with these low budget airlines is the don’t have any agreements with other airlines to rebook passengers whose flights have been canceled, as another poster already mentioned. If there are no other flights before your cruise leaves you are out of luck. I also don’t know that you are automatically guaranteed a seat on the next flight or if that’s dependent on availability; that’s probably something you should confirm as that would be critical information.

I would research other airlines that fly your route and see what the fares were for January historically so you will have an idea of what you might have to pay if your Spirit flight was canceled and your only option to make your cruise was to book a flight on another airline yourself. You might be better off to cancel your Spirit flight now, swallow the $ loss, and book on another airline now. Or, if you have trip insurance that would cover this type of situation, and you could accept missing your cruise, stick with your Spirit flight and have an alternate land vacation plan.

I’m such a worst case scenario type of person that for the 3 cruises I’ve gone on that required flying to the departure port, we’ve flown in 2 days before on major carriers so that we had time to drive to the port if necessary (live in Maine, cruising out of Canaveral or Miami). We are doing an Alaska cruise next May and I’m already stressing that we’re only flying in 1 day ahead!

And how do you know- what is my history??? Sorry, there are those who do prepare and pay for protection. So what you are saying- oh give that to anyone that has an excuse that sounds good??? My point is to accept the risk when you did, and don't think you are "entitled" to any exceptions. The OP states, her parents - REFUSED to add insurance. Sorry, this was the risk they accepted.

Certainly, everyone is sad this happened (again) to someone, and is sympathetic. Of course most all are.

As for me, I mostly self insure my cruises, AND I have missed 6 cruises - all since 2013. 3 were covered, 3 were loses. I do have a comprehensive international medical policy. My travels are very cheap, so it was known and fully accepted by me. My choice.

This is an excellent reminder that will benefit, suggesting others, think carefully what CAN happen, and what "always" happened in the past, means nothing, certainly does not predict the future.

I do not know your history...and I am not interested in knowing it either. I was pointing out that we do not know what one goes through unless one is in their shoes, and hopefully we do not have to find out that way. And yes, it is a good reminder/lesson to learn and to think about what can go wrong. But they are old people. A little kindness and empathy for them is not a bad thing to have.

Here is a tip for you: If you cannot empathize with someone in a disappointing situation, it is better to keep those fingers away from the key board and say a few ohmms.:) Hope you take this in good faith.

Edited by Arzeena

Very well explained.

I am now positive it wasn't weather related. Spirit told my parents it was a pilot issue (he didn't report to work and they didn't have a backup, or something like that)
My understanding is that would change the obligation the airline has to your parents, but, they still don't owe them anything for the cruise. I assume (sorry, you may have written if they did, but I forgot) they got a refund of their airline tickets? The rescheduled trip would have been a "trip in vain" and being as it was Spirit's fault they should refund the airfare.

Of course they may now say it was weather, there was a boatload of weather delays all over the east coast this past week. If they do, it's your word against theirs.

To be fare, I can’t imagine a 3 night cruise out of Florida costing even close to $2000. They’re usually pretty cheap.

2 people, with airfare, drinks, hotel, excursions, internet, etc. It adds up.

2 people, with airfare, drinks, hotel, excursions, internet, etc. It adds up.

If that is what the total included, then the parents aren't "out" for a lot of that total.

They presumably got the Spirit airfare back (has that happened?), and they won't have the costs for excursions, drinks, internet, any souvenirs, tips, etc., and probably not even any hotel costs.

GC

My understanding is that would change the obligation the airline has to your parents, but, they still don't owe them anything for the cruise. I assume (sorry, you may have written if they did, but I forgot) they got a refund of their airline tickets? The rescheduled trip would have been a "trip in vain" and being as it was Spirit's fault they should refund the airfare.

Of course they may now say it was weather, there was a boatload of weather delays all over the east coast this past week. If they do, it's your word against theirs.

Weather doesn't matter. If the flight is canceled, it's canceled and you are entitled to a refund if you want it.

If that is what the total included, then the parents aren't "out" for a lot of that total.

They presumably got the Spirit airfare back (has that happened?), and they won't have the costs for excursions, drinks, internet, any souvenirs, tips, etc., and probably not even any hotel costs.

GC

I wasn't agreeing that they would be out that much, just that it could cost that much for a short cruise. They would be refunded port fees and taxes, too.