conflicting data on dress code

I personally don't think shorts should be in the MDR

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Forums mobile app

Copied and pasted in part from a link on a previous thread poster by Milwaukee Eight

Royal Caribbean International Guest Conduct Policy

Dining Areas Dress Code

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants

No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Windjammer Café

No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

What don't you understand? Royal Caribbean is trying to provide a dining experience at a certain level. That includes ambiance. You know, decor, tableware, lighting, and, of course a certain level of dress. So they suggest formal for a night or two. As for food quality, you may or may not like the menu choices, but I actually do. And I can confidently say I've never been in a local diner or cafeteria that serves escargot or duck breast, etc. Not that they don't exist, but I've only found those dishes in a nice, upscale restaurant.

Actually, no one is really "up in arms" over the dress. Some people would prefer to eat in a MDR where people dress for a "fine dining" experience, some people prefer to eat in the MDR where they dress for a McDonalds at the beach experience. Individual choices. I guess I might ask, why do so many get upset and snarky because people do support the dress suggestions and prefer others did also?

What I don't understand is what the heck is this "fine dining" experience they are trying to create that people seem to be so stuck on that they care what other people do and wear. Because it sure as heck doesn't start with the food. I wouldn't pay more than like $20-25 for that quality of food on land. It's like dressing up for olive garden or something. Seems like silly pretending that you are at a fancy restaurant. Just because you serve a fancy ingredient doesn't make a fancy meal. Just because it's a duck breast doesn't make it a fancy restaurant, it has to be a well cooked duck breast.

Maybe it's a coast or generation thing. No one here even bats an eye if you go to moderately fancy trendy restaurants ($50-150/pp) in jeans and t-shirt. Nice shorts are actually somewhat hipster-stylish these days too. Only when you get to like the $250-300/pp do people in general care more, but even in those there's always a few people casually dressed who you know are the real ballers. Even then they would probably let you in in t-shirt and shorts. They may draw the line at tanktop and basketball shirt but I've never seen anyone try it.

People get snarky because they don't want to be told what to do. They don't feel like they are bothering anyone. They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. Maybe they don't want to play dress-up and see it as a silly vestige of the past. I think the best compromise is like the larger norwegian ships. Have one dining room that is designated the "fancy one" and everyone who wants to dress up can go there. Everyone else can go to the other MDRs.

People get snarky because they don't want to be told what to do. They don't feel like they are bothering anyone. They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. Maybe they don't want to play dress-up and see it as a silly vestige of the past. I think the best compromise is like the larger norwegian ships. Have one dining room that is designated the "fancy one" and everyone who wants to dress up can go there. Everyone else can go to the other MDRs.

I agree completely. But even on my last NCL cruise I wore relatively new jeans to dinner in the "fancy one" with sneakers and a polo shirt every time. No one on the staff had an issue, and I was dressed similarly to a lot of other people. Yeah, I'm not a fan of hairy guys wearing tank tops at dinner, but it doesn't ruin the experience for me.

There is always the "buffet" if you don't like dress rules. I don't understand why people feel the need after all these years to try and change things. Just like private schools have codes. It is also so others don't feel out of place or bad because they can't wear some nicer things that others can. There are other options. I don't like the buffet so I don't go. It's just not for me but I dont complain some people tend to dress tacky and try and change the rules. Personal preferences.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

There is always the "buffet" if you don't like dress rules. I don't understand why people feel the need after all these years to try and change things. Just like private schools have codes. It is also so others don't feel out of place or bad because they can't wear some nicer things that others can. There are other options. I don't like the buffet so I don't go. It's just not for me but I dont complain some people tend to dress tacky and try and change the rules. Personal preferences.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

Your welcome do dine in the WJ too as I am in the MDR. These are suggested codes and not enforced so get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here in hawaii we dont usually wear tuxes unless it is to a gala event or ball. Dressed up is usually a nice aloha shirt, dress slacks and nice shoes.

It is too hot and humid here to be wearing tuxes to a nice dinner and a night out. $300 a person dining experiences here, ai have worn aloha shirt and slacks. Saw quiet a few individuals with nice shorts and polo shirts with flip flops also at the same restaurant.

As another poster has mentioned, it is usually the individuals with high net worth that do not dress to impress.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As another poster has mentioned, it is usually the individuals with high net worth that do not dress to impress.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree! I have a “friend who married a rich guy”, and we often do date nights together. They never, ever dress up, no matter where we go- even the fancier $100pp places. Their standard outfits are jeans and a decent shirt :). When we went to Hamilton, DH and I dressed up fancy, they wore their standard clothes... and you know what? It never impacts our fun experience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums