conflicting data on dress code

Doesn’t it say “suggested” dress?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In FAQ’s it is referred to as a dress “code”. Which in my experience is almost always “suggested”. An exception might be a school or the military. For example, my son is getting married next month. We are requesting semi formal dress. But, if a guest showed up in jeans, they would most certainly be welcome. The dress code is usually for the benefit of the guest so that they have some guidance on what to wear and in this case what to pack.

It has been my experience that when dress code is listed (non cruise) the host is not planning on policing wardrobes but ultimately it is up to the guest to comply or not. I’m not sure Royal cares what people wear. I think it is more to prevent anyone from feeling uncomfortable because of the way they are dressed.

If a guest feels comfortable wearing shorts when it is suggested they don’t, I don’t think anyone else should be bothered by it.

Again, the simple solution that RCL will never implement, nor enforce. A sign that reads:

The MDR is a formal dress dining area.

We would be pleased to offer you dinner at the Windjammer should you wish to dine in a more "relaxed" setting.

Simple for you maybe.

Why does it matter what others wear to the MDR? Does you food taste differently is someone dines in a collarless clean shirt? Heck, Tiger plays in a more or less collarless shirt these days.

It’s others cruise too. Not just yours.

Again, the simple solution that RCL will never implement, nor enforce. A sign that reads:

We would be pleased to offer you dinner at the Windjammer should you wish to dine in a more "relaxed" setting.

The MDR isn't a formal dining area. It's the sit down restaurant included in your cruise fare.

I was not allowed in for breakfast at the MDR on celebrity summit for wearing a sleeveless t shirt. It wasn’t even a tank top just a t shirt with no sleeves. Was really surprised. I guess it’s whoever is working the door

I thought this was about Royal dress suggestions, not Celebrity.

Although owned by same company, as well as upscale SilverSea, has nothing to do with dress codes on Royal.

I suggested taking a pair of long pants above so an evening's plans aren't disrupted if one ends up with a maitre 'd that wants to enforce a dress code. I'd hate to look forward to a particular menu for dinner, only to be told to go put on long pants, and I didn't have any with me!! It's not a matter of what we passengers think or don't think; it's what the staff on a ship enforce.

I don't care what people wear. Personally, I like to dress nicely no matter where I am. I saw a woman at the Houston airport last week wearing a cat suit with a calf-length sheer chiffon caftan over it. Waaaay overdressed for the majority, but she looked fabulous! So, wear what you want and be comfortable goes both ways.

So, enjoy cruising and be prepared (or flexible about where you eat dinner) if you end up with a maitre 'd that's picky.

Simple for you maybe.

Why does it matter what others wear to the MDR? Does you food taste differently is someone dines in a collarless clean shirt? Heck, Tiger plays in a more or less collarless shirt these days.

Tiger just won the tour championship,first win in 5 years.

I thought this was about Royal dress suggestions, not Celebrity.

Although owned by same company, as well as upscale SilverSea, has nothing to do with dress codes on Royal.

Thanks so much for straightening that out for me. What a faux pas by me. Alert the FBI.

Actually Royal specifically refers to it as a dress “code” so there is, in fact a dress code. Just because they don’t enforce it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

There will always be those that either aren’t aware of the dress code or elect to ignore it. A polite host pretends not to notice and a polite guest does the same thing. No guest should be made to feel uncomfortable.

For any event, occasion or venue, I dress as requested. It’s just how I was raised. However, I have no control over what others wear and I rarely notice.

That was one of the best posts I have read about dress code. Thank you. I was raised as well.

In FAQ’s it is referred to as a dress “code”. Which in my experience is almost always “suggested”. An exception might be a school or the military. For example, my son is getting married next month. We are requesting semi formal dress. But, if a guest showed up in jeans, they would most certainly be welcome. The dress code is usually for the benefit of the guest so that they have some guidance on what to wear and in this case what to pack.

It has been my experience that when dress code is listed (non cruise) the host is not planning on policing wardrobes but ultimately it is up to the guest to comply or not. I’m not sure Royal cares what people wear. I think it is more to prevent anyone from feeling uncomfortable because of the way they are dressed.

If a guest feels comfortable wearing shorts when it is suggested they don’t, I don’t think anyone else should be bothered by it.

Personally, we comply with the suggested dress but you would be surprised how many here on CC complain what others wear affects their dining.

Personally, we comply with the suggested dress but you would be surprised how many here on CC complain what others wear affects their dining.

That would be me if I have to gaze at hairy armpits or hairy toes passing by while I'm eating. Just puts me off my feed, so to speak. Hairy legs don't bother me for some reason. I also have a quiet internal mental issue with men wearing baseball caps in the MDR.

Every now and then I feel compelled to jump in the middle of this. For the life of me, I don't know why.

New cruisers find it very helpful to find dress code information on line. I know I did. I really don't think people are bothered by what others wear, except in extreme cases. I think they object "in principle" if people announce are not dressing in compliance with the published guidelines.

Even if I felt someone else was dressed inappropriately, I do believe that the proper and polite response would be to do and say nothing.

As a courtesy to the host, or in this case the cruise ship, I dress as "suggested". But when I say I don't care what anyone else does, I mean it. To spend one minute worrying about something someone else does or doesn't do, especially when I have no control over it, is one minute too much.

That was one of the best posts I have read about dress code. Thank you. I was raised as well.

Thank you! I was actually raised in the military. I'm not nearly as open minded about baseball caps in the dining room so I try and stay away from those discussions.

Being British I was always told when growing up that wearing a hat when at the dinner table was rude, so for me I never would, however on US based cruises many men wear their baseball caps and no one seems to care so why should I.

My take on it is when I was in my 20s I looked good in a vest and shorts, now I'm pushing 60 I don't.

So the rules should be that the maître D should only turn away the guests who don't look hot in the flimsy beach wear.

And on the cruises I've been on that would have been most of the guests, dress code sorted!!

i believe it was our 2nd cruise on the Brilliance back in 2004 on a formal Night, a family of 3 came in shorts and were stopped. Everyone in the dining room were all dressed up. After several minutes they were finally allowed in. The wife looked very uncomfortable to say the least entering the dining room where everyone was all dressed up but them. During our NZ cruise in 2014, we saw several men wearing cargo shorts and ladies in knee length slacks on casual nights..

Simple for you maybe.

Given that RCL posts it as a "dress code" clearly it mattered to someone at some point.

Also it clearly matters to you except you just happen to appear to be on the "who cares what the unenforced rules are" side.

And 1 win for Tiger doesn't change the stink of PED's around his career.

Given that RCL posts it as a "dress code" clearly it mattered to someone at some point.

Also it clearly matters to you except you just happen to appear to be on the "who cares what the unenforced rules are" side.

And 1 win for Tiger doesn't change the stink of PED's around his career.

You leave a major part out of you quote. It would have been more accurate to have quoted as it reads, “suggested dress code”. It doesn’t say requested or required.

Definition

Suggestion

A suggestion is an idea someone proposes. You can accept or reject a suggestion.

I WAS turned away from the MDR for wearing flip flops...which to me are no different than open toe sandles that many women wear. Now I always wear black house shoes for comfort. I believe the "rules" are not applied company wide...just what mood the Maitre D is in for a sitting.

What are House shoes?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You leave a major part out of you quote. It would have been more accurate to have quoted as it reads, “suggested dress code”. It doesn’t say requested or required.

Definition

Suggestion

A suggestion is an idea someone proposes. You can accept or reject a suggestion.

Speaking of definitions..... how would you define this sentence from RCL website? "Suggestion" or "dress code"?

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

Despite the "nobody cares" generalization, there are in fact some rules around dress for the MDR.

What is wrong with you?

What is wrong with you?

"Correct but the super cheap fares are attracting certain types of people." - rjrpar

"Probably been said earlier, tipping is optional. Why is this so hard to understand" - rjrpar

Might I ask what it is that's wrong with you?