conflicting data on dress code

Royal makes this complicated by being inconsistent.

Yes. All of this guest angst is on RCI for not clearly setting rules (whatever they are...just set some) and enforcing them.

Saying “here’s a suggestion, that probably won’t be enforced, but there’s a small chance it might be, oh and one or two nights you should dress formal, but it’s just a suggestion, but dress your best” is ridiculous. Just make a decision and go with it!

The first time I sailed on Royal in2001 I ate in the MDR wearing golf shorts and my Uncle wore jeans every night. I never read the suggested dress code and I don't recall seeing a sign stating no shorts or I would have gone back to my room to change before I even attempted to enter the MDR. It's was a time when all passengers dressed formal on formal night if they ate in the MDR. Even my boys 5 and 8 at the time, were wearing suits and ties. I would imagine now with a relaxed atmosphere that any shorts with the exception of gym shorts or swim shorts would be acceptable.

Yes. All of this guest angst is on RCI for not clearly setting rules (whatever they are...just set some) and enforcing them.

Saying “here’s a suggestion, that probably won’t be enforced, but there’s a small chance it might be, oh and one or two nights you should dress formal, but it’s just a suggestion, but dress your best” is ridiculous. Just make a decision and go with it!

The agent has to give an ambiguous answer because they don't know if the person working the entrance of the dinning room is going to have a stick up their a$$ on any given night on any given cruise and might actually enforce the suggested dress code.

The first time I sailed on Royal in2001 I ate in the MDR wearing golf shorts and my Uncle wore jeans every night. I never read the suggested dress code and I don't recall seeing a sign stating no shorts or I would have gone back to my room to change before I even attempted to enter the MDR. It's was a time when all passengers dressed formal on formal night if they ate in the MDR. Even my boys 5 and 8 at the time, were wearing suits and ties. I would imagine now with a relaxed atmosphere that any shorts with the exception of gym shorts or swim shorts would be acceptable.

Gym shorts, tank top and cap on formal night on the Grandeur four years ago.

Most phone reps are reading from outdated scripts. If you want to see how people dress go on Instagram and look up your ship, you'll see thousands of photos of people onboard.
In my experience a lot of TAs and phone reps have either never been on a ship or at best just a few times.

It's been many years. Shorts are perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Cruise fairly frequently - never have seen shorts in MDR. Even some all inclusive resorts insist on long pants at dinner time. Would you wear shorts in a table cloth type of restaurant when at home is what people should ask themselves.

Cruise fairly frequently - never have seen shorts in MDR. Even some all inclusive resorts insist on long pants at dinner time. Would you wear shorts in a table cloth type of restaurant when at home is what people should ask themselves.

Here in Florida it's done all the time

Not flaming you. However, if you cruise and have never seen shorts in the MDR in the evening you must have eaten in an empty MDR or you had your eyes closed.

Just got off of RCI Rhapsody OTS and MSC Sinfonia in June 2018 and saw it every night including their Gala/Formal nights.

I have seen shorts in the MDR on EVERY cruise I've been on. Never a problem. You're obviously not very observant.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Yes... otherwise many of those businesses in Florida would be out of business. It is Florida, and I like it that way. There are only a few that have a strict dress code, but I would mostly avoid them.

In 2016 we were on Adventures of the Sea and they were far more strict on dress code then last year. Of course last year was primarily booked with those of Puerto Rico affected by the hurricane and they needed to fill the ship after many cancelled. It was the most chaotic, laid back cruise I have ever been on. Quite shocking and appalling to say the least. I don't know if that was the reason for such change last year or not but this year we are cruising with CCL. I hear most lines are relaxing on the dress code to make it a little more fair for those who can't or don't want to go "formal". I have mixed feelings about it.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

In 2016 we were on Adventures of the Sea and they were far more strict on dress code then last year. Of course last year was primarily booked with those of Puerto Rico affected by the hurricane and they needed to fill the ship after many cancelled. It was the most chaotic, laid back cruise I have ever been on. Quite shocking and appalling to say the least. I don't know if that was the reason for such change last year or not but this year we are cruising with CCL. I hear most lines are relaxing on the dress code to make it a little more fair for those who can't or don't want to go "formal". I have mixed feelings about it.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I think you will find dress suggestions not enforced well before Maria hit PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums