Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Stumbles, if you have to ask... 😉  It's in the $40 range here for a 750. The store that's cheaper doesn't have it in stock now.

@UpstateJan - I was amazed by Exit 9's speed today. I ordered around 10:30 and they emailed me by 11:15 to say the order was ready. Faster than Empire was last week, by far!

• Like 2

OK Folks....I have never done this before here and because our world is currently on its head I am going to do this now.  As most everyone who reads the Cooler knows I am not a great cook.  My dear lad Myster, however, is awesome.  Today he made a slow cooker dish that was beyond delicious.  He says it was easy and I say it was amazing!  Here we go....

Slow Cooker Gingery Chicken Congee Recipe

Serves 6

Ingredients

For the congee

8 cups water (1.89 L)

3 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)

1 cup (200 g) jasmine rice

4 chunks fresh ginger, 1-inch-thick each

Optional toppings (mix and match!)
Roasted peanuts
Minced fresh ginger
Fresh cilantro leaves
Finely chopped scallions
Spicy dried pork
A splash of sesame oil and soya sauce
Sriracha
Chinese century eggs, quartered
Soft boiled eggs, halved
Furikake
Everything But the Bagel seasoning
Sambal oelek

Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients for the congee in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook until very creamy and the rice is completely broken down, 8 to 10 hours on the low setting or 5 hours on the high setting.

2. Transfer the chicken and ginger to a plate. Stir the congee with a wooden spoon, making sure to scrape against the bottom and sides of the slow cooker to incorporate congee that’s sticking there.

3. Shred the chicken, then stir the meat back into the slow cooker, discarding the bones, skin, cartilage, and ginger.

4. Optional: Add in Chinese century eggs and let simmer for an additional 15 minutes.

5. Serve with your favourite toppings.

Myster did add 2 teaspoons of salt at the beginning of the congee recipe.

Our gift to you!  😄

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thx Mysty, JP, and ZQTChas!  I’ll be going for the good stuff on my next visit to the liquor store.  This past weekend, I paid about that much for Lillet Blanc and Galliano and they are only mixers!

Welcome to the big leagues! Enjoy it.

Chris and I are divided as to whether the Hendrick's Midsummer Solstice goes better with Fever Tree Mediterranean (my choice) or Elderflower (her choice) Tonic. Luckily we still have a few bottles of each!

The official Fever Tree pairing suggestion says that I'm right. Too bad that I'm still wrong... 😉  https://pairingguide.fever-tree.com/en-au/serve/hendricks-midsummer-solstice-gin-and-mediterranean-tonic-water

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Chris and I are divided as to whether the Hendrick's Midsummer Solstice goes better with Fever Tree Mediterranean (my choice) or Elderflower (her choice) Tonic.

Well, I’ll just have to buy both then!

BTW... what was the gin and tonic SS served us on the Cloud?  If I remember, then gin was okay, but you and Chris weren’t crazy about the tonic.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Stumbles, if you have to ask... 😉  It's in the $40 range here for a 750. The store that's cheaper doesn't have it in stock now.

@UpstateJan - I was amazed by Exit 9's speed today. I ordered around 10:30 and they emailed me by 11:15 to say the order was ready. Faster than Empire was last week, by far!

YAY!  Glad my hometown did right by you.   I currently live 1 1/2 miles north and east of Exit 9, so that's staggering distance.  They really are nice folks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

$43.67 at our super liquor store.  Perhaps I should give it a whirl?

Go for it! Nice citrus and floral notes on a solid gin backbone.

Just don't buy them out, as I will need backup. There's no way that bottle is lasting until Midsummer... 🤣

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

BTW... what was the gin and tonic SS served us on the Cloud?  If I remember, then gin was okay, but you and Chris weren’t crazy about the tonic.

Stumbles, there were 4 or 5 gins. Tanqueray is their standby which certainly isn't bad. I think they have Beefeaters too. They had one called Berkeley which we liked better, for a "traditional" juniper-flavored gin - though at this point I can't remember - but I think they only had it in August, not January when we cruised together. Chris and I killed the bottle that was there in August; that I do remember... I don't think they had another in January.

They also had Bombay Sapphire, and regular Hendricks. Regular Hendricks is more floral and the first few times we tried it we weren't too impressed. A "regular" commercial tonic water overwhelms it. A light tonic is OK but Elderflower is a great match. Bombay Sapphire has some nice aromatics too, which can get lost in a regular tonic.

So yeah, the gin selection is decent on board. But the tonic...not as exciting. Have fun mixing and matching!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Go for it! Nice citrus and floral notes on a solid gin backbone.

Just don't buy them out, as I will need backup. There's no way that bottle is lasting until Midsummer... 🤣

Stumbles, there were 4 or 5 gins. Tanqueray is their standby which certainly isn't bad. I think they have Beefeaters too. They had one called Berkeley which we liked better, for a "traditional" juniper-flavored gin - though at this point I can't remember - but I think they only had it in August, not January when we cruised together. Chris and I killed the bottle that was there in August; that I do remember... I don't think they had another in January.

They also had Bombay Sapphire, and regular Hendricks. Regular Hendricks is more floral and the first few times we tried it we weren't too impressed. A "regular" commercial tonic water overwhelms it. A light tonic is OK but Elderflower is a great match. Bombay Sapphire has some nice aromatics too, which can get lost in a regular tonic.

So yeah, the gin selection is decent on board. But the tonic...not as exciting. Have fun mixing and matching!

I thought the basic Hendricks was great in a Martini. I'm not much for the perfume drinks. I did like the Tanqueray. I think any cheap gin is good with tonic of choice. I still like Mud-slides ( adult milk shake ) with ice cream or a good Pina Colada with Myers rum.

Edited by zqtchas
add milk shake info
  • Like 3