Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Myster and I have been attempting to take walks every day to avoid killing one another.  Off we struck for today's exercise.  It was windy and cold and I was mumbling to myself about the nasty temps.  We turned a corner and I stopped dead in my tracks.  There was my Ode To Joy for today. 

220700239_IMG_20200424_133535(2).jpg.6d80bcfdd09f04a473f368e4419f3dc3.jpg

I don't know the reason for the awesome display and it matters not!  I grinned like a fool all the way back home!  Look for the joy folks!

• Like 4

Greetings Coolers!

First off....I have now discovered the reason for the glorious balloons.  The display was created by the family who live in that house to honour the front line workers in our small town (population 11,000).  That just makes it all the more glorious!

Today's funny.....

unnamed.png.8e2a53a7e99082b8d2b64263d513a7ac.png

Have a great safe day all!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

First off....I have now discovered the reason for the glorious balloons.  The display was created by the family who live in that house to honour the front line workers in our small town (population 11,000).  That just makes it all the more glorious!

YES, liked the "glorious balloons", especially after learning more as to the why and how in having them displayed. 

Below are a couple of more "punishing puns".  Glad no objections.  Will keep 'em coming. You have been properly warned. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

845692775_ScreenShot2020-04-25at9_21_37AM.thumb.png.67dcc73ea17d66d94cf26a173dc61df7.png

1987243344_ScreenShot2020-04-25at9_21_51AM.thumb.png.e4dd6d3c368605d6320bdfa1121536c7.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Those super cute and dynamic Easter online dresses shared by zqtchas look very fancy and upscale compared to what my wife wore with her old robe and PJ's on that day.  Cute!!??  Which would be better or worse?

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,193 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

464871720_ScreenShot2020-04-25at10_08_58AM.thumb.png.f09fbc7c7433031ad13ede6e2e7ce3ed.png

196255227_ScreenShot2020-04-25at10_09_20AM.thumb.png.2ca0143dd1ce5a06490db52c949161cc.png

• Like 1

Trying a new breakfast recipe. A simple cake topped with raspberries and strawberries. No leavening, so the recipe depends on lots of beating with a mixer.

20200425_101907.thumb.jpg.fd340fffe5a4db4b29b912a45d446fda.jpg

We went out for a walk while it was baking. The sunshine was beautiful this morning!

The cake took a few minutes longer to bake than I'd expected. But it rose well and surrounded the berries, as I'd hoped. Cooling now, and looks good enough to eat!

20200425_110629.thumb.jpg.8583ecd163808e8f7f90a67e0626f0f9.jpg

Happy weekend all! Enjoying the time off before I'm back in ICU on Monday. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

We went out for a walk while it was baking. The sunshine was beautiful this morning!  Happy weekend all! Enjoying the time off before I'm back in ICU on Monday. 

Yes, J.P., your food looks excellent and very tasty!  Enjoying the super sunshine here in Central Ohio this morning. Out on our screened porch, hearing the birds, watching the little animals move around, soaking up the flowering trees starting to come out, etc.  Glorious!!

1569961158_ScreenShot2020-04-25at11_11_33AM.thumb.png.70c1691bef5e7bd054a98433f4c3a060.png

208536099_ScreenShot2020-04-25at11_11_42AM.thumb.png.6982fb0dedf5af0069602324c518c7e2.png

• Like 2

Hi friends, hoping you can send some good wishes down my way.   Not sure if it is the stress of the world or something

else but I have not been feeling well  and also not been sleeping well.  I went to see my GP twice and Monday morning

I am seeing a cardiologist.  Seems my heart rate is too high.  I told the Dr yesterday if I felt worse over the weekend I

would go to the ER. Right now I am ok.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Trying a new breakfast recipe. A simple cake topped with raspberries and strawberries. No leavening, so the recipe depends on lots of beating with a mixer.

20200425_101907.thumb.jpg.fd340fffe5a4db4b29b912a45d446fda.jpg

We went out for a walk while it was baking. The sunshine was beautiful this morning!

The cake took a few minutes longer to bake than I'd expected. But it rose well and surrounded the berries, as I'd hoped. Cooling now, and looks good enough to eat!

20200425_110629.thumb.jpg.8583ecd163808e8f7f90a67e0626f0f9.jpg

Happy weekend all! Enjoying the time off before I'm back in ICU on Monday. 

Looks like clafoutis yum

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends, hoping you can send some good wishes down my way.   Not sure if it is the stress of the world or something else but I have not been feeling well  and also not been sleeping well.  I went to see my GP twice and Monday morning I am seeing a cardiologist.  Seems my heart rate is too high.  I told the Dr yesterday if I felt worse over the weekend I would go to the ER. Right now I am ok.   Thanks.

Good luck to Lois.  Be well and safe.  Keep us posted as to your progress.  Am sending "good wishes" down your way. 

823839446_ScreenShot2020-04-25at1_49_43PM.thumb.png.89f4028671d851956d6dc552722d88d7.png

1015583168_ScreenShot2020-04-25at1_49_55PM.thumb.png.0bfed649671c0b8d4abab7e0fe872c3c.png

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends, hoping you can send some good wishes down my way.   Not sure if it is the stress of the world or something

else but I have not been feeling well  and also not been sleeping well.  I went to see my GP twice and Monday morning

I am seeing a cardiologist.  Seems my heart rate is too high.  I told the Dr yesterday if I felt worse over the weekend I

would go to the ER. Right now I am ok.

Thanks.

Feel better Lois

• Like 1

@Lois R, I hope that whatever is making you feel badly passes quickly and you feel better soon. There are so many things which could cause your symptoms, but make sure your thyroid isn't overactive. Joining the others here on the Cooler in sending well wishes.

It was a gorgeous day here - high 60s and sunny! We swung by the home improvement store and picked up a few herb plants. They are already in the ground so the kitchen herb garden should be back in business this summer. Really happy about that; I had been itching to get that started for a few weeks now.

Then we went for a walk through the nearby cemetery, trying to avoid (live) people. We were only partly successful, but it was a nice walk nonetheless. There is a small section that was started for Civil War soldiers. Moving.

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Looks good JP!  How did it taste?  I doubt we'd have luck making that out here at 7,500'.  

Stumbles - it was delicious! The edges were cooked a touch more than I would have liked but overall I was happy with it. 

20200425_112336.thumb.jpg.bfb99549ee92d0daefad349efbed684d.jpg

6 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Looks like clafoutis yum

Spins, you have a good point there. I have made a clafoutis before and I think the batter for that was more liquid. Comparing recipes, mine took 1c flour, 2 eggs, and a stick of butter plus the sugar, and no other liquid. So the batter was too thick to pour; I had to spoon it into the baking pan and spread it out to make it even.

We thought that it was very similar to a recipe that Chris has in her grandmother's cookbook, for a cake with plum halves. They called it a placek (Polish) or a plyatsok (Ukrainian). In both cases you place the fruit on top of the batter, and it rises up and surrounds the fruit, which sinks to the bottom while the cake cooks. Plum halves are particularly delicious. 

Tonight one of the restaurants in Saratoga was offering pork schnitzel for take out. I had been looking at their menu all week and the e-mails were working on me...I desperately wanted to have it!. But I really didn't feel like driving an hour round trip for it, so we made some at home instead.

We had to go hunting for some pork as our usual grocery store seems to have slim pickings lately. But the local warehouse club had pork loin which would fit in a pinch. I trimmed it and pounded out a few cutlets, and we were ready to go.

20200425_171646.thumb.jpg.22f82f683d627b5da96746792db65403.jpg

I served the cutlets over Spätzle, with a mustard-cream sauce, with sautéed mushrooms and onions. Just like the restaurant's menu! And we had a nice cucumber and tomato salad as a side, instead of their kale salad.

20200425_173741.thumb.jpg.0e8c37ce128ad0ec7241aff377bafc87.jpg

We had our dinner with a Grüner Veltliner. Problem is, I had to use a little bit in the sauce, so the bottle is already empty and it's only 6:30... Guess it's time for a G&T in the hot tub!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

@Lois R, I hope that whatever is making you feel badly passes quickly and you feel better soon. There are so many things which could cause your symptoms, but make sure your thyroid isn't overactive. Joining the others here on the Cooler in sending well wishes.

It was a gorgeous day here - high 60s and sunny! We swung by the home improvement store and picked up a few herb plants. They are already in the ground so the kitchen herb garden should be back in business this summer. Really happy about that; I had been itching to get that started for a few weeks now.

Then we went for a walk through the nearby cemetery, trying to avoid (live) people. We were only partly successful, but it was a nice walk nonetheless. There is a small section that was started for Civil War soldiers. Moving.

Stumbles - it was delicious! The edges were cooked a touch more than I would have liked but overall I was happy with it. 

20200425_112336.thumb.jpg.bfb99549ee92d0daefad349efbed684d.jpg

Spins, you have a good point there. I have made a clafoutis before and I think the batter for that was more liquid. Comparing recipes, mine took 1c flour, 2 eggs, and a stick of butter plus the sugar, and no other liquid. So the batter was too thick to pour; I had to spoon it into the baking pan and spread it out to make it even.

We thought that it was very similar to a recipe that Chris has in her grandmother's cookbook, for a cake with plum halves. They called it a placek (Polish) or a plyatsok (Ukrainian). In both cases you place the fruit on top of the batter, and it rises up and surrounds the fruit, which sinks to the bottom while the cake cooks. Plum halves are particularly delicious. 

Tonight one of the restaurants in Saratoga was offering pork schnitzel for take out. I had been looking at their menu all week and the e-mails were working on me...I desperately wanted to have it!. But I really didn't feel like driving an hour round trip for it, so we made some at home instead.

We had to go hunting for some pork as our usual grocery store seems to have slim pickings lately. But the local warehouse club had pork loin which would fit in a pinch. I trimmed it and pounded out a few cutlets, and we were ready to go.

20200425_171646.thumb.jpg.22f82f683d627b5da96746792db65403.jpg

I served the cutlets over Spätzle, with a mustard-cream sauce, with sautéed mushrooms and onions. Just like the restaurant's menu! And we had a nice cucumber and tomato salad as a side, instead of their kale salad.

20200425_173741.thumb.jpg.0e8c37ce128ad0ec7241aff377bafc87.jpg

We had our dinner with a Grüner Veltliner. Problem is, I had to use a little bit in the sauce, so the bottle is already empty and it's only 6:30... Guess it's time for a G&T in the hot tub!

All yummy.

Best wishes Lois.  Also having sleep issues up here in the Old Dominion; these are stressful times.  Some things we see in the news are just incomprehensible.  Not my field, but I'm thinking when we feel danger around us, a good night's sleep is tough to achieve.  Maybe kept us alive in caveman days.  Take care & good luck at your Monday appointment.

JP, that looks so good!!  Send any leftovers to my attention, Richmond, Virginia  🙂 zip code available on request, we have some good s blanc on hand which we could share?

• Like 1