Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

6 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

The above mentioned restaurant is not a diner, drive thru, or dive, but you can tease Mysty all you want.  

Thanks for having my back Flying!  😅

And, obviously, today's funny does not apply to Cooler denizens because we all know that we have a wonderful sense of humour!  😁

Sunday's funny will be delayed until Monday.  Heading out for an early Christmas with daughter and grandsons.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Diners, Drive Ins and Dives…

Love that show!  Have eaten in at least a dozen of the restaurants over the years and none have ever disappointed.

After watching late last night, made one of the dishes featured on the program for breakfast this morning to rave reviews.

• Like 4

Do any of my wonderful cooler friends have any suggestions for the must see/do/eat things to do in Dubai? I’ll be there on a 28hr stopover in a few weeks staying on the Palm Jahmeira. I arrive at 8.am (hopefully after a couple of hours sleep on the plane) and I’m there until the following lunchtime. I’m thinking drop cases at the hotel, morning visit the Burjh Khalifa than a speedboat tour,  lunch somewhere nice, helicopter sightseeing tour then back to the Hotel for afternoon tea, power nap and then Dinner. Any quick things to do that might be more fun? TIA

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Do any of my wonderful cooler friends have any suggestions for the must see/do/eat things to do in Dubai? I’ll be there on a 28hr stopover in a few weeks staying on the Palm Jahmeira. I arrive at 8.am (hopefully after a couple of hours sleep on the plane) and I’m there until the following lunchtime. I’m thinking drop cases at the hotel, morning visit the Burjh Khalifa than a speedboat tour,  lunch somewhere nice, helicopter sightseeing tour then back to the Hotel for afternoon tea, power nap and then Dinner. Any quick things to do that might be more fun? TIA

Hi DW

gunaydindubai dot com

This offers great food and I have eaten here many times,once in the last month.

I get an outside table at 19.15 and you get a great view of the lightshow on the Burj Al kaleifa and the dancing water fountains.

They also have another branch on Bluewaters island near to Ceasars Palace Hotel but go to the souk/Marina area restaurant.

I also recommend a sky dive from Bluewaters island and you get the most fantastic view above the palm.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Hi DW

gunaydindubai dot com

This offers great food and I have eaten here many times,once in the last month.

I get an outside table at 19.15 and you get a great view of the lightshow on the Burj Al kaleifa and the dancing water fountains.

They also have another branch on Bluewaters island near to Ceasars Palace Hotel but go to the souk/Marina area restaurant.

I also recommend a sky dive from Bluewaters island and you get the most fantastic view above the palm.

Many Thanks Mr Luxury, I shall look it up now. I Think I'll pass on your second kind suggestion though. I At least like a bit of metal between me and the ground far below! 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Do any of my wonderful cooler friends have any suggestions for the must see/do/eat things to do in Dubai? I’ll be there on a 28hr stopover in a few weeks staying on the Palm Jahmeira.  Any quick things to do that might be more fun? TIA

from the New York Times Travel Section for this weekend, they had this headline: Dubai Is the Newest Culinary Destination" with this sub-headline: "After years of simmering, the Dubai food scene is at full boil. The emirate now boasts some 13,000 establishments — more per capita than New York City — and some are nabbing global laurels.

Here are a few of their story highlights: This year, three top gastronomic guides released their first editions for Dubai.  The cascade began in February when the World’s 50 Best Restaurants unveiled its list for the Middle East and North Africa. Dubai snagged 16 slots, more than any other city, including the top honor, for the Japanese-influenced 3 Fils restaurant. Then, in June, France’s Gault & Millau held a gala for the release of its U.A.E. guide. A week later, the Michelin guide hosted its own ceremony to shower its stars on Dubai.  'Things have evolved so much,' said Gwendal Poullennec, the international director of Michelin guides, whose undercover inspectors began scouring Dubai in 2017.  Credit goes partly to the emirate’s luxury hotels, which have long jockeyed to sign deals with Western and Asian boldface chefs — Gordon Ramsay, Heston Blumenthal, Alain Ducasse, Daniel Boulud, Heinz Beck, Bjorn Frantzen, Nobu Matsuhisa — and many top 2022 gastronomic prizes were claimed by hotel kitchens serving Continental cuisine: Stay by Yannick Alléno, Massimo Bottura’s Torno Subito, Ossiano at Atlantis, The Palm. 

Lots of great options in Dubai!!!!    Might send more later.  Busy watching the World Cup final right now from nearby Qatar.  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/13/travel/dubai-food.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,492 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Thanks 1

What an amazing, thrilling finish for the World Cup Final.  Congrats to Argentina!!  Two extra 15-minute periods and then when tied at 3-3, they needed to go into a dramatic shoot-out period.  Could Hollywood have crafted a more exciting finish?

Below are a few of my visuals from being in Dubai in late 2018.  Hopefully this builds up the "EXCITEMENT" for visiting there.  

Sky-diving?  Near our hotel and Palm Jahmeira, there is an aircraft take-off location from which they offer a chance to jump out of an airplane and land (hopefully safely) right nearby.  Sound interesting as an option?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,617 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Don't forget the options to buy gold and spectacular jewelry.  Right?  Are you staying at this Palm Jahmeira hotel shown below?  Or, one of the newer ones nearby?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.2380ecf409ac3227783b2bf540fb2f8a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.db67415933353e1ebd17c13b337b2b04.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3f0079092fc5a68fd883acb918ae9824.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3b6dabe876252dea2cb6b507bd708a37.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Terry, I'll be at the new Raffles Palm Dubai and the restaurant choice isn't anything particularly inspiring or edgy tbh for such a beautiful hotel. An MDR that serves sliders and burgers isn't really the experience I'm looking for and why would I go to the Emirates to eat Japanese food? A Top class Arabian/Persian Restaurant not too far from the Hotel would be my first choice.

On my way back through I'm having a night at the Palazzo Versace and I've booked in for their Prusiana Brunch evening (A Prussian meets Peruvian occasion but without the Guinea Pigs) which looks like a lot of fun and a nice way to spend the last night of my holiday. I've never taken brunch at 8.00pm before and I don't think it's obligatory to partake in a Hunt to attend but let's not get pernickety.

• Like 5

Some folks take this dog stuff just a tad too far, know whutta mean??

And yes, that is the traditional family C clamp with a wire affixed to the tree, an annual installation ever since dogs, cats & children in years of yore pulled over several trees, causing much breakage and inappropriate utterances.  Haven't lost one since!  

IMG_5995.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

And yes, that is the traditional family C clamp with a wire affixed to the tree, an annual installation ever since dogs, cats & children in years of yore pulled over several trees, causing much breakage and inappropriate utterances.  Haven't lost one since!  

IMG_5995.jpg

When needs must, needs must!  It matches the ornaments!  Well done! 

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

IMG_5995.jpg

Smart idea.  But I can't figure out what the clamp is clamped to.

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Smart idea.  But I can't figure out what the clamp is clamped to.

The floor over the living/dining room is framed with glulam beams at 40" on center; the beams project down from the ceiling - we like the look, and the layout of beams is aligned with windows and other things.  "Chust for nice", as they say.  Just happens that one of them is in a good place for Christmas tree clamping.  I resisted the urge to include a photo, recently sent to me, of a C clamp applied to a ham, which was sent to me, with the note "If you're happy and you know it...."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

That is a smart idea!

There is a family story from the 1950s about my Grandfather. I don't know if it's true and I don't think anyone alive now can verify it, but it was told repeatedly when I was a kid.

The family had moved to Virginia. My Grandfather's brothers were in the homebuilding business, so they had built the home that they were living in. Time to put up the Christmas tree.

It kept falling over, so the story goes. So my Grandfather got annoyed, went to the basement, and drove a huge nail up through the floor, put the tree stump on it and nailed the tree to the floor. "That bleeping thing isn't falling over now" or something like that...

I am sure that additional bleeped-out words were said by the homebuilding brothers, when my Grandfather and family moved a few years later, and they had to sell a home with "gently used" floors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5