Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

We had nearly perfect weather for most of the first 3 segments of our current cruise. But since the 4th segment began in Athens things have changed. Missed the first port in Crete due to a storm and only one truly sunny day since.

Excursions from Bari were soggy affairs. Several other days with light rain but not really much inconvenience.

Spent 2 nights in Fusina with terrible weather. Got extremely soaked in Padua on our excursion there 

Thought things were improving with overcast skies and minor showers. However today moored off Hvar with heavy rain, strong winds and a very choppy sea. So our stop now cancelled as unsafe for tenders. Awaiting what will happen next as a storm approaching.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drron29 said:

We had nearly perfect weather for most of the first 3 segments of our current cruise. But since the 4th segment began in Athens things have changed. Missed the first port in Crete due to a storm and only one truly sunny day since.

Excursions from Bari were soggy affairs. Several other days with light rain but not really much inconvenience.

Spent 2 nights in Fusina with terrible weather. Got extremely soaked in Padua on our excursion there 

Thought things were improving with overcast skies and minor showers. However today moored off Hvar with heavy rain, strong winds and a very choppy sea. So our stop now cancelled as unsafe for tenders. Awaiting what will happen next as a storm approaching.

Sounds like what the Whisper has been having.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Crete was hot and sunny when I left yesterday.

Next week looks like 30 degrees.

A few overcast days last week but still very pleasant.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.aec03699f5391b159164430c68e30d99.png

Best wishes for ALL of the Mothers and Grandmothers out there in Cruise Critic World.  Any Great Grandmothers?  Enjoy your day and celebration!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 2

Yes, Terry.   And I met my great granddaughter for the first time (she is now 2) two weeks ago, as she lives in Nashville, Tennessee!  And of course she is gorgeous, knows all her alphabet, and runs like the wind.

Lola

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes, Terry.   And I met my great granddaughter for the first time (she is now 2) two weeks ago, as she lives in Nashville, Tennessee!  And of course she is gorgeous, knows all her alphabet, and runs like the wind.   Lola

WOW!!  Great news.  Glad that I mentioned a shout-out for Great Grandmothers.  If you have a Great Granddaughter, that must mean you are in your 60's and being "Middle-Age", right?  Isn't it wonderful to be able to celebrate these children's, grandchildren and now for many, great grandchildren.  Nashville is nice, but too bad she is so far away from you in the UK.   Congratulations!!  

Our two grandsons are only ages ten and twelve.  No grandchildren for us for many years.  

Lola, that is wonderful🙂.....you must be a very proud GREAT Grandma🙂

Terry, you meant to say No "Great" grandchildren for many years😃

Wishing all the Moms, Grandmas, Great Grandmas, and whoever serves as a Mom....hope all of you have a wonderful day, doing whatever you want🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Terry, you meant to say No "Great" grandchildren for many years😃

Yes, Lois, appreciate your catching of my "goof" in leaving out the important word of "Great".  Also, with our two grandsons, our son and his wife are "done" with children.  My wife's disappointment is not having a granddaughter.  But, we are super happy with the two grandsons.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Now for something completely different.  Not something you would associate with a senior citizen like Mysty but here goes.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_rIaUm7ac

@QueSeraSera you might enjoy this.  Video is a little wild and crazy (think New Orleans Mardi Gras).  Music is amazeballs! 😁

No Amazeballs actually come from Tasmania and if you are ever in Northern Tasmania you should visit this place.

https://www.ashgrovecheese.com.au/products/amazeballs-cheddar-cheese-50g

amazeballs.webp.454d15e4725c72be472bd18d7a8e6a1d.webp

Edited by drron29
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

No Amazeballs actually come from Tasmania and if you are ever in Northern Tasmania you should visit this place.

Thanks for the clarification drron!  My mistake! 😁  Will definitely add that to reasons to revisit Tasmania!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drron29 said:

The Cat Empire are an Australian jazz/funk band, formed in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1999. For most of the band's duration, the core members were Felix Riebl (lead vocals, percussion), Harry James Angus (trumpet, vocals), Will Hull-Brown (drums), Jamshid "Jumps" Khadiwhala (turntables, percussion), Ollie McGill (keyboards, backing vocals) and Ryan Monro (bass, backing vocals). Monro retired from the band in March 2021, while Angus, Hull-Brown and Khadiwhala all left in April 2022. They are often supplemented by The Empire Horns, a brass duo composed of Ross Irwin (trumpet) and Kieran Conrau (trombone), among others. Their sound is a fusion of jazz, ska, funk and rock with heavy Latin influences.

So Australia can lay claim to both The Cat Empire and Amazeballs!  🥰

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A little background as to how this song called Brighter than Gold by The Cat Empire crossed my radar....our daughter was recently in Melbourne visiting a dear friend from her university days.  While there they visited a music festival somewhere in the environs.  There were side shows happening,  one of which was a performance by a local circus school.  They were performing to Brighter than Gold by The Cat Empire.   She loved the song,  found it on YouTube and has been enjoying it ever since.   She and her 2 sons danced to it today in their Kitchen Party.   She shared it and I loved it too.

• Like 2

In Brasilia for a business trip.

Brasilia is the federal capital, located in the middle of the country. It was built in the late 1950’s and inaugurated in 1960 when the capital moved from Rio de Janeiro to Brasilia.

It was designed by two architects Oscar Niemeyer and Lucio Costa.

Below two photos from the hotel roof top. The TV tower and the soccer stadium.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-14 at 20.48.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-14 at 20.47.51.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Where is the love button?

If you choose, let daughter know we're loving it here too!

Will do Que!  You really can't sit still while listening to it!  🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lirio said:

In Brasilia for a business trip.

Brasilia is the federal capital, located in the middle of the country. It was built in the late 1950’s and inaugurated in 1960 when the capital moved from Rio de Janeiro to Brasilia.

It was designed by two architects Oscar Niemeyer and Lucio Costa.

I did a paper on Brasilia in a course called Cultural Geography back in the day – thankfully at a time when there were still high hopes for its success.  My understanding is that it never lived up to the promises, as the politicians spend as little time as possible there and consequently the general population never saw a reason to move there.  Kind of like creating a new Albany, NY [sorry JP, that's how we 'downstaters' see it...]

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I did a paper on Brasilia in a course called Cultural Geography back in the day – thankfully at a time when there were still high hopes for its success.  My understanding is that it never lived up to the promises, as the politicians spend as little time as possible there and consequently the general population never saw a reason to move there.  Kind of like creating a new Albany, NY [sorry JP, that's how we 'downstaters' see it...]

Currently Brasilia has 3 million inhabitants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was planning on a leisurely evening yesterday when friends called at 4pm, and accepted an earlier dinner invite.  So, took stock of the larder and the refer, had just boiled some eggs, and I keep some good tuna in oil around, so given the hot weather, Salad Nicoise was just the ticket.  Did a pretty faithful rendition per Julia Childs "The Way to Cook".  There is a big mound of her French tater salad in the middle, over a bed of lettuce, with tuna, eggs, Kalamata olives, tomatoes, anchovies and parsley, all drizzled with a lemon-dijon vinaigrette.  It makes a nice one dish meal, and looks good on the platter.  Bon appetit!  

IMG_6115.jpeg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Was planning on a leisurely evening yesterday when friends called at 4pm, and accepted an earlier dinner invite.  So, took stock of the larder and the refer, had just boiled some eggs, and I keep some good tuna in oil around, so given the hot weather, Salad Nicoise was just the ticket.  Did a pretty faithful rendition per Julia Childs "The Way to Cook".  There is a big mound of her French tater salad in the middle, over a bed of lettuce, with tuna, eggs, Kalamata olives, tomatoes, anchovies and parsley, all drizzled with a lemon-dijon vinaigrette.  It makes a nice one dish meal, and looks good on the platter.  Bon appetit!  

IMG_6115.jpeg

Oh yes WWFT!  Beautiful!