Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Back to Sao Paulo. This time I visited:

1. Masp - Musuem of Arts of Sao Paulo to see an exhibition with Paul Guaguin paints. 

20230625_104121ajustado.thumb.jpg.2b20f40e2a2d9b05c3cc5e40c18d86d7.jpg

20230625_104219-ajustado.thumb.jpg.e63969de3a6a8b5f079c7eebf886c02a.jpg

2 - Museum of sacred arts of Sao Paulo

This was my first visit to this museum and it was a great surprise. The museum is located in an Monastery (Monastery of Light) which construction started at 1579 and by late 1770´s was renovated. Picrure 1 is of the walls done in this renovation.

20230625_113301_03.thumb.jpg.0738ec545fd525ef431f55ef37d01eeb.jpg

Being a country of Portuguese tradittion, the sacre art was part of every day life and most of houses had oratories (i hope this is the right word). I sent some pictures few weeks ago.  The large farms had their own churchs. Picture 2.

20230625_113222ajustado.thumb.jpg.9f1ba17b0068d3e435d157413a826a43.jpg

Most of the works of XVII and XVIII was done in Minas Gerais state (where I was born), not in Sao Paulo. The most famous artist was Aleijadinho (nick name that means "little crippled" because he had leprosy). Because of his decease the produced many saints with his own limitation. See Picture 3 (fingers). In the and of his life he worked with the tools tied to his arms. The majory of his works is in Minas Gerais in Ouro Preto and other cities nearby. 

20230625_113948-ajustado.thumb.jpg.8e1bea95dced9c2b4de8c8ceb9c419bc.jpg

This last picture is the monastery in the XVIII century.

20230625_114238.thumb.jpg.652011043dc4494ab16b52a8e14511d6.jpg

Edited by Lirio
  • Like 11

Thank you, Lirio.  l would love to be able to visit the Museum of Sacred Arts!  Unfortunately, due to medical reasons, I cannot go to Brazil, which is ironic, as I have done research on Carmen Miranda.  Always appreciate your postings.

Edited by Camillus112
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Anyone not watching the end of Glastonbury it’s well worth a look. I’ve never been a huge fan of Elton but this has been superb. Especially loved the tribute to George Michael on his 60th birthday. 

IMG_0682.jpeg

yes it was fabulous and I kept watching to the end although knowing I had to get up at 5 today and we are an hour ahead here. But then with Glastonbury last evening this happens to me every time...

The Pretenders were very good too. 
So another weekend spent glued to the TV with Royal Ascot and Glastonbury instead of finally doing my tax return. Procrastination is my middle name🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Does everyone else think that the awful phrase 'the world has gone mad' seems actually  proving to be the case, just in the last few years?  Or is it just me, being ancient and out of touch?

Lola

Oh Lola,  you are absolutely not the only one.   It really feels like our world is circling the drain.   I'm trying desperately to cling to my tiny raft of sanity in the eddying swirl of insanity.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know. I'm sitting in my comfy chair, mid-sixties and healthy with children and grandchildren who have never been exposed to fatal disease nor felt hunger or want. 

We can travel the world, the continent or the country without needing permission; we are never too hot or too cold; we have a choice of foods and cuisines unknown a generation ago. 

My life expectancy is it 30 years more than it would have been 100 years ago. 

I haven't fought in a world war. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I don't know. I'm sitting in my comfy chair, mid-sixties and healthy with children and grandchildren who have never been exposed to fatal disease nor felt hunger or want. 

We can travel the world, the continent or the country without needing permission; we are never too hot or too cold; we have a choice of foods and cuisines unknown a generation ago. 

Those are all to be thankful for TTS!  😁  It does seem lately that the proportion of relatively sane people is shrinking.   Societal ills seem to be increasing.   The balance is tilting and not in our favour. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

You've had it easy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Does everyone else think that the awful phrase 'the world has gone mad' seems actually  proving to be the case, just in the last few years?  Or is it just me, being ancient and out of touch?

Lola

Hi Lola, no, you are definitely not the only one.......some of the stuff is absolutely NUTS and in my opinion, many of the norms are going backwards  and I say to myself, are we REALLY doing/seeing this in 2023?  It is not 1943 (thankfully for that) but the many fringes keep coming out and and part of it literally scares the crap out of me........We can do better.......that is what I think...we must be better. 

So, no, you are not out of touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tts - I suppose I have been looking at it from a world perspective, rather than my own little bubble, which although nowadays is a bit more restricted in terms of activity than yours, is still comfortable enough.  I am actually pleased to have got into the frame of mind that I am one of the lucky ones, in that I am in reasonable health for my age, have a pair of successful, happily married children, who are helpful and thoughtful to me, and enough money to live on for the foreseeable.  From a world point of view, I am rich!  As is everyone who posts on here, obviously.  

Lola

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

I don't know. I'm sitting in my comfy chair, mid-sixties and healthy with children and grandchildren who have never been exposed to fatal disease nor felt hunger or want. We can travel the world, the continent or the country without needing permission; we are never too hot or too cold; we have a choice of foods and cuisines unknown a generation ago. My life expectancy is it 30 years more than it would have been 100 years ago. I haven't fought in a world war. 

Excellent above summary for the honest realities of today by Tothesunset.  We are fortunate that, unlike our grandparents, we did not have to face the really "dire" and terrible situations seen during the 1930's Depression and World War II.  Yes, certain people on Social Media and in other places these days, are now able to get access and coverage that is not deserved and/or needed.  Crazy?  Agreed!  But, we can also skip over and ignore much of it, too!  Keep things in perspective and balance.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1