Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

46 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

Mysty,

I took time away from CC but recently I booked an Antarctica cruise with Seabourn so I find myself looking in on both the SS and SB forums.  Inevitably I’m drawn to the cooler, your jokes of the day along with the many other funnies are a sure fire way to get the day off to a good start, and JP’s trips are always enjoyable keeping up with.  So I for one don't want to see this cooler forum disappearing anytime soon.

Welcome back Reef!  And thank you for your kind words and your support for the Cooler!  Much appreciated! 😁

We will be in Tunis later this year for a day.  Can you recommend any “must do” things?  Will I be able to get by speaking French?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Reef Knot said:

Mysty,

I took time away from CC but recently I booked an Antarctica cruise with Seabourn so I find myself looking in on both the SS and SB forums.  Inevitably I’m drawn to the cooler, your jokes of the day along with the many other funnies are a sure fire way to get the day off to a good start, and JP’s trips are always enjoyable keeping up with.  So I for one don't want to see this cooler forum disappearing anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

We will be in Tunis later this year for a day.  Can you recommend any “must do” things?  Will I be able to get by speaking French?

Thanks.

There is enough to see in Tunis and the surrounding areas to give you a rewarding day. 

French will get you by just fine.

If you want to keep it easy there is the Carthage ticket (5 euros ish)  which includes entry to 7 attractions in the area, the top one being Les Bains de Antonin (a world heritage site ) also the roman amphitheatre and the roman villa. 

Sidi Bou Said is nice to wander around and enjoy the views that its position affords, it's all blue and white although there is one yellow door so be on the look out for that. also make sure you eat a bambalouni whilst you are up there you won't regret it.

The medina in Tunis is worth a visit but you should really go with a guide as you will get to see and understand so much more (an English speaking guide will cost around TND 200/ 60 euro for a group and last from 2 to 4 hours depending how long you have (I have the name and number of a good guide if you are interested) finish off with a drink or a lunch at the hotel Dar el Jeld rooftop bar https://www.dareljeld.com/gastronomie .

A little further afield about 40 mins from Tunis is Oudna (Uthina) one of the oldest Roman colonies in Africa, there is an impressive amphitheatre and the Capitol . If your driver takes the right route you will follow the aqueduct which used to supply the water for Carthage (originally 125 kms ) but still many parts still in tact. 

3 hours drive from Tunis is the amphiteatre of El Jem . I think it is/was the 3rd largest amphiteatre ever built. Worth a visit but a bit tight if you have a ship waiting to depart at a set time.

If you want to take taxis and explore then download Bolt (similar to uber) it works fine but they take cash only. 

You should have a great day.

I'm here if you have any other questions

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

There is enough to see in Tunis and the surrounding areas to give you a rewarding day. 

If you want to keep it easy there is the Carthage ticket (5 euros ish)  which includes entry to 7 attractions in the area, the top one being Les Bains de Antonin (a world heritage site ) also the roman amphitheatre and the roman villa. 

Sidi Bou Said is nice to wander around and enjoy the views that its position affords, it's all blue and white although there is one yellow door so be on the look out for that. also make sure you eat a bambalouni whilst you are up there you won't regret it.

The medina in Tunis is worth a visit but you should really go with a guide as you will get to see and understand so much more (an English speaking guide will cost around TND 200/ 60 euro for a group and last from 2 to 4 hours depending how long you have (I have the name and number of a good guide if you are interested) finish off with a drink or a lunch at the hotel Dar el Jeld rooftop bar https://www.dareljeld.com/gastronomie .

A little further afield about 40 mins from Tunis is Oudna (Uthina) one of the oldest Roman colonies in Africa, there is an impressive amphitheatre and the Capitol . If your driver takes the right route you will follow the aqueduct which used to supply the water for Carthage (originally 125 kms ) but still many parts still in tact. 

3 hours drive from Tunis is the amphiteatre of El Jem . I think it is/was the 3rd largest amphiteatre ever built. Worth a visit but a bit tight if you have a ship waiting to depart at a set time.

If you want to take taxis and explore then download Bolt (similar to uber) it works fine but they take cash only. 

Those are great suggestions.  We will be on the Silver Nova and just in port for one day, a Sunday.

Merci, شكرًا لك. and thank you

1 hour ago, Reef Knot said:

that sounds like a more than a day thing. I have heard that  Tunisia has the best Roman ruins in N Africa. Our waiter on the last 2 cruises is from there. (on SS)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

that sounds like a more than a day thing. I have heard that  Tunisia has the best Roman ruins in N Africa. Our waiter on the last 2 cruises is from there. (on SS)

Do you happen to remember his name?  We had a waiter from there many years ago.  He lives in Marseille now.

23 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

There certainly are a lot here with El jem probably being the jewel. We tend to get a bit blasé after a while.

Although Algeria and Libya have their fair share also.

Edited by Reef Knot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emtbsams said:

Do you happen to remember his name?  We had a waiter from there many years ago.  He lives in Marseille now.

Marouane Zegnani. I don't think he is the same. He came over from a  german ship. He is recently married to a Filipino and wasn't sure where they would live.   

Edited by zqtchas
  • Like 1

Back from the Norway fjord cruise, and it was magnificent.  A beautiful country with beautiful inhabitants.  Air arrangements by Silversea worked perfectly; I will post in the appropriate forum about that.  Silver Dawn was clean and gorgeous.  With a single exception we enjoyed every meal we had on board (while fish should not be overcooked, undercooked is worse IMO).

I am in awe of those who post continuous threads or sub threads about their trips.  I thank all who do so, and I must admit to being weak in that department.

@gnome12 you are going to love your cruise in these parts next year I feel sure!  Don't forget to change your Norwegian currency (if you get any) back to dollars before you leave (guess what I didn't do).

Catching up here, and reading about @Daveywavey70's angst regarding a Celebrity cruise.  Our recent 1st cruise on Royal Caribbean's Odyssey turned out plenty of fun.  Like you, we went because a group of friends were going.  Like you (I hope) we upgraded to a suite.  Of course the experience wasn't = to Silversea, but it turned out to be plenty of fun.  Buying the drinks package may have played a role in that.

One last pic from Norway, the 7 Sisters waterfall, just one of so many we saw on the cruise.

image.thumb.png.15efe523176f8d574592ea6ee2c503e8.png

• Like 10

A man prays to God. "Lord, I would like to ask you a question."
God says, "Go ahead."
"Lord, is it true that to you a million years is but a second?"
"Yes that is true."
"Well then, what is a million dollars to you?"
"A million dollars is but a penny."
"Lord, may I have a penny?"
"Sure," says God. "Just a second."

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Yes, Spins, Mac & Cheese can be very good, especially with some lobster mixed into it.  

Below is a tee shirt design I saw today on the Internet.  Anyone have a spouse you both love and fear?

image.thumb.png.3234df5e4659a37324b1fb1b54b17c28.png

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

While waiting the cruise at Silver Spirit next August, working from north to south in Brazil. Some days in the Amazon region again and I got a weekend to visit new areas around. Some pictures from Parintins - Amazonas.

Old house in the port area.

20230714_112916-ajustado.thumb.jpg.cee0890cc7b96d4bb3b33fba01794d12.jpg

20230714_114846-ajustado.thumb.jpg.b608ff0aeaf9e63e200d8eeaec21967f.jpg

The market

20230714_114418-ajustado.thumb.jpg.c5f0372f303cdf09e2534b6eaa4adf66.jpg

boats on the port (Amazon river)

20230714_113547-ajustado.thumb.jpg.66a3be1cf5c1bc6d7909cb754f0180a3.jpg

Me (happy to be able to work in such a amazing place)

20230714_113857-ajustado.thumb.jpg.0ce310c17c9106c025477e658fe12ac8.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Yes, Spins, Mac & Cheese can be very good, especially with some lobster mixed into it.  

Below is a tee shirt design I saw today on the Internet.  Anyone have a spouse you both love and fear?

image.thumb.png.3234df5e4659a37324b1fb1b54b17c28.png

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

That has Rojaan down to a tee.😉

October's Muse report has just been cancelled.😔

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m probably quite alone in this but the mere mention of this is abhorrent to me. Macaroni cheese is perfectly acceptable but Mac&cheese triggers every emotion in me. 

You're not alone with that DW!  I just can't!

• Like 1