Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I’ve had the most amazing day. Breakfast was on the train before disembarking around 8.30. A Trip to Scenic World was an incredible experience. Cable car, sky ride, the steepest train in the world backwards! Seen the 3 sisters and the views were incredible. Nice lunch at Echo point. Had my own private coach to the fairmont resort for a couple of nights. All checked in and got a nice view of the mountains from my balcony. Not the grandest Fairmont and it could do with a bit of a polish but really nice all in all. All this by 2.15. The resort is overrun with small human type creatures that make lots of strange noises and throw food around. Here for 2 nights then of to Sydney. The Indian Pacific was really incredible and today’s tour was the crowning glory.  I Can’t believe I’ve only been here 6 days!

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0044.jpeg

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_0051.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

• Like 14

I Toddled off late afternoon for a potter around Katoomba, a nice little town. The locals assured me that it’s not usually as sunny as it was yesterday.

A storm cloud passed overhead mid afternoon but 20 minutes later it was blazing sun again.

A Lovely dinner last night in Embers Grill on-site. Lamb Skewers, Fill it Steak, and Pineapple Panna Cotta, accompanied by a delicious Lychee Martini and Taittinger. 

Off to breakfast now, massage at 9.00 and then a full day on the HO-HO to explore the area more. 

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4081.jpeg

IMG_4083.jpeg

IMG_4085.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

• Like 14

Question, when is a Fairmont not a Fairmont? 
Answer, when they only share the name. 
So as this leg of the trip was a last minute replacement for something that wasn’t working out time wise and the internet on a train crossing the Nullabor plains isn’t exactly full fibre my partner booked me 2 nights at the Fairmont Blue Mountains. Nice enough Deluxe Balcony with a Mountain View. I Thought that will be great, you can’t go far wrong with a Fairmont. On arrival it did feel a little unFairmontly. The towel hanging out of the bottom of the unplugged fridge was the first sign something was afoot. The gangs of feral mini monsters that seemed to be holidaying without their parents was another. They seem to roam around unsupervised in little gangs. I Found myself contemplating yesterday evening how many times I’d heard the staff say no since I’d arrived. Not just to me but to many others. It wasn’t even a no that hinted an apology, it was a no that was accompanied by a silent roll of the eyes into the back of the head. Do you have slimline tonic? No. Can I decide on a desert after my main course? No. Is there a bar open after dinner, No. Can I order a burger for my son? No, kitchens closed.  Some of the staff are really lovely though but the whole feel of the place is certainly not positive or can do. After quite a morning where my balcony door had jammed whilst I was outside without my phone (luckily I had my iPad so emailed an emergency rescue request to Reception) an engineer was dispatched and eventually he freed it. It happened again an hour later but luckily I was on the inside this time. Following on, after yet another No from Reception, I informed the Receptionist that I’d never heard the word No used so many times in 24 hours even after binge watching the box set of the Vicar of Dibley. (I didn’t expect him to get that one though). When I said this doesn’t feel like any Fairmont I’ve ever stayed in before he informed me that they were nothing to do with the Canadians, they just share a name. So there you go. If you ever get the opportunity to visit this magical place then you must, just choose your hotel wisely. Had a lovely potter around a beautiful little village called Leura this afternoon. Anyway I bought myself a lovely new hat, a squashy Barmah from a fabulous little shop in Katoomba so the world is good again. Sydney tomorrow. 

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_4117.jpeg

IMG_4113.jpeg

IMG_4114.jpeg

• Like 10

Into  each life a little rain must fall, and it sounds as though you have had your bit, Davey.  Let's hope it is the only one.  I am surprised to read about unhelpful hospitality folk in Australia, I must admit.

The blue mountains are lovely - but I hope you have a few days in Sydney coming up to enjoy that great city.  And some great food and wine.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Into  each life a little rain must fall, and it sounds as though you have had your bit, Davey.  Let's hope it is the only one.  I am surprised to read about unhelpful hospitality folk in Australia, I must admit.

The blue mountains are lovely - but I hope you have a few days in Sydney coming up to enjoy that great city.  And some great food and wine.

I Was surprised too Lola, not at all what I expected from my experience of Aussies over many years and certainly not reflective of the wonderful people that I’ve met everywhere else in this fabulous land. Some places just seem to have a certain culture. Anyway the view helps you move on. Only one night in Sydney tomorrow but it will be a good one! Got a nice corner suite at the Shangri La and meeting both new friends from the Indian Pacific for a drink and older friends joining the cruise for dinner in the rooftop restaurant there. After the cruise I get 2 nights back at the Shangri La for Australia Day! Off to dinner now xxx

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Was surprised too Lola, not at all what I expected from my experience of Aussies over many years and certainly not reflective of the wonderful people that I’ve met everywhere else in this fabulous land. Some places just seem to have a certain culture. Anyway the view helps you move on. Only one night in Sydney tomorrow but it will be a good one! Got a nice corner suite at the Shangri La and meeting both new friends from the Indian Pacific for a drink and older friends joining the cruise for dinner in the rooftop restaurant there. After the cruise I get 2 nights back at the Shangri La for Australia Day! Off to dinner now xxx

Hope you at THE Shangri La not the shangri la!!!!!! (That was an attempt at humour!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Davywavey70, your photos and commentary are worthy of the best travel blog!

Yes, YES!!  Looking good and wonderful by Davywavey70.  Keep up the great sharing!!  

Also, loved the fun pokes at Boeing as to their current challenges with the 737 MAX.  For our upcoming India, Silver Moon, Singapore, Japan, etc., adventure starting in early February, we fortunately do not have any flight segments schedule on that challenged aircraft.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry, good morning.......I know,you follow sports too.....lots of changes over the last 24 hours! Saban retired, Pete Carroll is out and after 24 years the Pat's are going to have to  find a new coach....pretty big changes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, good morning.......I know,you follow sports too.....lots of changes over the last 24 hours! Saban retired, Pete Carroll is out and after 24 years the Pat's are going to have to  find a new coach....pretty big changes!

And of course the Michigan Wolverines!!!!

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Hi Davey We were in Australlia this past Sept/Oct .Loved it we did all land just the two of us decided a cruise was not the best way to see the country.We found 95% of the people to be wonderful.Only one issue but soon forgotten.Enjoy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

YES, Lois and Spins, lots dramatically has been happening with BOTH Pro/NFL and college football.  When THE two most recognized coaches at these different levels depart, it is significant.  BUT, more changes are to come.  Always changing and evolving!!   Now, however, these shifts and moves are even more major.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Luckily I didn’t break any bones in the shower this morning when the whole toiletry rack fell off the wall and onto my foot. It meant I didn’t get to breakfast until 10.29 and was turned away. Another flat no. I Sent a distress flare to Uber to get me the hell out of there. Currently sitting on the platform at the lovely Katoomba station which does feel very like home. Onwards and upwards! 

0E970167-479F-4F07-B2E5-FC0396A1644C.jpeg

Edited by DavyWavey70
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Luckily I didn’t break any bones in the shower this morning when the whole toiletry rack fell off the wall and onto my foot. It meant I didn’t get to breakfast until 10.29 and was turned away. Another flat no. I Sent a distress flare to Uber to get me the hell out of there. Currently sitting on the platform at the lovely Katoomba station which does feel very like home. Onwards and upwards! 

0E970167-479F-4F07-B2E5-FC0396A1644C.jpeg

Sorry to hear of your catastrophe with the Fair-Unmounting!  But very happy to see the elevation at the station measured in God's own feet!  Hope the next leg is more to plan...

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry to hear of your catastrophe with the Fair-Unmounting!  But very happy to see the elevation at the station measured in God's own feet!  Hope the next leg is more to plan...

Thanks Host JB, going swimmingly so far. Train was a straightforward 2 hour journey with very pleasant scenery. Uber from Central station to the Hotel. It really is a lovely Hotel, everything works and nothing has fallen on me/ trapped me on a balcony yet. I’ve a stunning view across the harbour. Shame it’s only for 1 night but I’ve got the same room type after the cruise for 2 nights. Had a potter around The Rocks and took a ferry round to Darling Harbour and back. The really helpful ferry man told me not to buy a ticket, just tap the phone and it’s $8.50AUD for unlimited public transport all day at weekends. Very helpful. Had a bit more fruit at the bar and couldn’t resist an Ice Cream. Dinner on the roof tonight! 

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_4155.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4152.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

• Like 10