Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

It was tough to stay up late, and, frankly, my lids may have lowered a bit a times. 

The Canes did not play well, and many may say they did not deserve the win. 

I think my adrenaline was pumping during the evening and into the early morning as we are closely watching yet another “disturbance in the tropics”, which is now named Milton. 

Today we follow Milton as it begins the intensification, slurping up the hot water of the Gulf which is its’ manna. Tough to watch it grow and threaten the peninsula. 

28 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The Canes did not play well, and many may say they did not deserve the win. I think my adrenaline was pumping during the evening and into the early morning as we are closely watching yet another “disturbance in the tropics”, which is now named Milton. Today we follow Milton as it begins the intensification, slurping up the hot water of the Gulf which is its’ manna. Tough to watch it grow and threaten the peninsula. 

Appreciate Spins being so honest about her 'Canes and how they played against Cal in Berkeley.  

Wow!!  Did not realize that Milton was this close.  Below is the chart I just found on AccuWeather.  This seems to be an unusual path.  Right? 

image.thumb.png.dbe41541f46dd86bb5a42371f7793302.png

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

34 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

It was tough to stay up late, and, frankly, my lids may have lowered a bit a times. 

The Canes did not play well, and many may say they did not deserve the win. 

I think my adrenaline was pumping during the evening and into the early morning as we are closely watching yet another “disturbance in the tropics”, which is now named Milton. 

Today we follow Milton as it begins the intensification, slurping up the hot water of the Gulf which is its’ manna. Tough to watch it grow and threaten the peninsula. 

No appropriate emoji yet again.  Sending hopes that all will be well Spins!

• Like 1

This is the 20th anniversary of the year we had four hurricanes in six week period in Central Florida.  Went without power for 7 days twice.  I've been prepared with a generator ever since but only needed it once for one day.  This one is going to cause flooding but since we're flat, water rises slowly.  Storm surge on West side will be tough since Tampa hasn't recovered from surge caused by Helene.

31 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

This is the 20th anniversary of the year we had four hurricanes in six week period in Central Florida.  Went without power for 7 days twice.  I've been prepared with a generator ever since but only needed it once for one day.  This one is going to cause flooding but since we're flat, water rises slowly.  Storm surge on West side will be tough since Tampa hasn't recovered from surge caused by Helene.

Again,  no appropriate emoji,  best wishes for a safe  and smooth way through this challenge!

• Thanks 1

This is the definitive government site to get hurricane info from.  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

If you hover your pointer over a storm icon, it gives you a text box with info.  Below, look for the named storm or hurricane, and look at Warnings/Cone, or Key Messages.  This time of year, this is the first site I look at every morning.  This hurricane is going to travel the entire width of Gulf of Mexico, full of hot water.  It could be a real beast.  Forewarned is forearmed.  I hope everyone is battening down the hatches.  Currently course looks like might come ashore just south of Tampa Bay, but these storms can wiggle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A quick report from the Spirit in Malaga.  We believe service is substantially better than on the Nova, Moon or even the Spirit three years ago.  There are still lots of new staff, but the older more experienced staff are doing a wonderful job.  We are fortunate to have a great butler and cabin attendant and have found a number of servers and a sommelier who are great.  The food is generally better although the menus are more limited and have become repetitious after three weeks on board.  We have another four weeks to go.

Our fellow passengers are generally friendly although there have been a few fairly rude outspoken people.  Fortunately, it is easy to avoid them.

We are pleased that the dining hours are a bit earlier than before since we do enjoy eating early so we can walk the deck or just get some more sleep prior to an early morning excursion the next morning.

I do miss the old dress code which had Casual evenings.  Elegant casual most of the time is harder to do.

I am happy to answer any questions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate Spins being so honest about her 'Canes and how they played against Cal in Berkeley.  

Wow!!  Did not realize that Milton was this close.  Below is the chart I just found on AccuWeather.  This seems to be an unusual path.  Right? 

image.thumb.png.dbe41541f46dd86bb5a42371f7793302.png

Seems the gulf waters have spawned more than a few powerful storms this year. The water is warm, very warm and hot in spots. Perfect  fuel for a water addicted storm.

Hoping all will be safe and take steps to protect LIFE and property. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

A quick report from the Spirit in Malaga.  We believe service is substantially better than on the Nova, Moon or even the Spirit three years ago.  There are still lots of new staff, but the older more experienced staff are doing a wonderful job.  We are fortunate to have a great butler and cabin attendant and have found a number of servers and a sommelier who are great.  The food is generally better although the menus are more limited and have become repetitious after three weeks on board.  We have another four weeks to go.

Our fellow passengers are generally friendly although there have been a few fairly rude outspoken people.  Fortunately, it is easy to avoid them.

We are pleased that the dining hours are a bit earlier than before since we do enjoy eating early so we can walk the deck or just get some more sleep prior to an early morning excursion the next morning.

I do miss the old dress code which had Casual evenings.  Elegant casual most of the time is harder to do.

I am happy to answer any questions.

Thanks Emtbsam. I am so pleased to learn you are enjoying the Spirit. She is still one of my favorites!

How are pax interpreting elegant casual? Sequined jeans?

Sending best to you both!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Surely real diamonds, Davey?  I have some cheap ones on the back pocket of mine, but luckily always with a top which covers them  .And no. not even Swaroski.

Absolutely Lola! These ones look ok! 🙂 

shopping.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

We have just returned from our College Football week in Indiana and Ohio. We thoroughly enjoyed watching our Notre Dame Fighting Irish win their match with Louisville. Then a week exploring Ohio before attending the Ohio State game yesterday. What a contrast with the two campuses. ND has about 12,000 students and no high rise buildings, such a beautiful, green campus. Ohio State is in the urban area with multiple tall buildings and so huge with over 60,000 students. We enjoyed the game, love college football, even though we positively broiled in the heat and direct sunshine yesterday.

Great to read your Indiana/Ohio follow-up and that things went well.  Yes, having attended Ohio State in the late 1960's and lived right nearby ever since that point, this sprawling campus is BIG with lots of various buildings, including more and more tall ones.  As we were at Saturday's OSU/iowa game, yes, it was sunny, but fortunately only in the mid 70's for temperature.  No rain or snow or cold.  Did you like the OSU Band pre-game and half-time shows?  

Have been to the Notre Dame three times, their campus is different, but very special and enjoyable.  

How was Ohio's Amish Country?  Did that work out well?  Tell us more!! 

AFRICA 2016: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 57,647 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Looks like the Gulf is going to be hit pretty hard this week..........☹️...Milton is now a cat 4.and he is not supposed to land till late Wed/early Thursday. Looks like Tampa, Sarasota, Ft Meyers, etc. will all be hit😮

One question for our American friends.

Why is your football called football if the ball can only be propelled by hand? In our football with the exception of the goalkeeper any use of the hand is illegal. Should yours not be called handball or did the handball people get there first?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, eastwoodboy said:

One question for our American friends.

Why is your football called football if the ball can only be propelled by hand? In our football with the exception of the goalkeeper any use of the hand is illegal. Should yours not be called handball or did the handball people get there first?

I wish I had a good answer, but our shared language is quite confusing. It's called Football, just like you can drive your car on a Parkway but you park it in the driveway...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Looks like the Gulf is going to be hit pretty hard this week..........☹️...Milton is now a cat 4.and he is not supposed to land till late Wed/early Thursday. Looks like Tampa, Sarasota, Ft Meyers, etc. will all be hit😮

This is going to be bad. Heard they're looking to evacuate up to 3 million people 

Elegant casual is a mixed bag.  A number of gentlemen are wearing a jacket, collared shirt and slacks while some of the men are wearing sloppy shirts worn outside of pants and barely covering their large guts!  When we went to dinner at 6 pm last evening, I declared it a Casual evening and he wore a polo shirt with no jacket in the MDR - we did sit in the corner.  Formal optional evening was interesting.  We were in tux and gown while one of the guests at the Captain’s table didn’t wear a tie.  It is what it is.

Our thoughts are with everyone in Milton’s path.  Having just gone through Helene up at Alligator Point, I know how stressful it is to wait to see if you will have a house after the storm passes.

We walked almost 8 miles today in Malaga and are looking forward to a sea day tomorrow.  Spins - we went back to the market you introduced me to many years ago also on the Spirit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Seems the gulf waters have spawned more than a few powerful storms this year. The water is warm, very warm and hot in spots. Perfect  fuel for a water addicted storm.  Hoping all will be safe and take steps to protect LIFE and property. 

Yes, we are following this Hurricane Milton closely and hoping that all will be safe.  

In watching the news and monitoring various websites, it is amazing as to how much of Florida will be impacted by this storm.  Below is a Washington Post map this morning showing what areas will get hit the hardest.  The darker the blue, the more rain, etc.  Clearly from Jacksonville where Lois lives south along the coast, this will be, sadly, a BIGGIE!!  Good luck.  

image.thumb.png.fefde4210eb36a557092f6dd176177ef.png

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 36,161 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

34 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I wish I had a good answer, but our shared language is quite confusing. It's called Football, just like you can drive your car on a Parkway but you park it in the driveway...

And why in the US is the mail carried by the US Postal Service but in the UK we have our post delivered by the Royal Mail? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, eastwoodboy said:

One question for our American friends.  Why is your football called football if the ball can only be propelled by hand? In our football with the exception of the goalkeeper any use of the hand is illegal. Should yours not be called handball or did the handball people get there first?

Good question as to why we call our "football" by that name.  Our game starts with a "kick-off" that is done with the foot to commence action and then after each score, the successful team KICKS-OFF to the other team using the foot.  

Then, it a team does not make a first-down after three attempts, they need to PUNT, again done with the foot.  Also, after scoring a touchdown, a team generally (but not always), KICKS an "extra point".  Many times when things stall in seeking a touch-down, a team will attempt a "field goal" for a three-point score.  

So, yes, there is lots and lots of running and passing of the ball with our "football", but there is also much use of the foot for kick-offs, punting, extra points, field goals, etc.  Does this help?  Good question as we are right in the middle of the college and professional football season.  

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 34,394 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Like 2