Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just now on the news, Hurricane Milton has been "upgraded" to the highest level.  AccuWeather has this headline just posted: "Hurricane Milton becomes a Category 5 storm as evacuations begin in Florida".  Good luck to those in Florida.  Many in that state have not been able, yet, to clean up and recover from Helene.  Now this??  

THANKS!  Enjoy and be safe!  Terry in Ohio   

Here, sadly, is the posting and graphics from the NY Post: 

image.thumb.png.55f1819235221fd6c37776254880cee5.png

Here are added details with this newspaper headline: "Florida faces worst storm threat in 100 years as ‘life-threatening’ Hurricane Milton strengthens to Cat. 5 storm".  With the massive urban/suburban areas of Tampa/St. Pete and Orlando in the path of this killer storm, the impacts could be significant.  Unfortunately.  

Full story at: 

https://nypost.com/2024/10/07/us-news/hurricane-watches-posted-in-florida-as-milton-continues-to-rapidly-intensify-in-gulf/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Edited by TLCOhio

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would start to crave a steak.  "Hello, is it meat you're looking for?"  🤣

You missed it by a day! Short ribs with chimichurri, but still tasty.

20241006_174541.thumb.jpg.62a450f595f6060ebd8c787d6df85c72.jpg

20241006_180907.thumb.jpg.1c5143f26015e1f8b89b74d9a011c4e7.jpg

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Oh we're back!

It was rather strange for a while there. I thought I was going to miss out on my bedtime reading!

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I emailed the help desk and they said they were aware of the issues and were working on it.......

Looks like it has been fixed.

I had been volunteering at a nearby hospital for the past 15 months and decided it was time to try something else. Net week I start volunteering at a nearby food bank. I went over there today and met the manager and a bunch of the staff. Everyone seems very nice and I think it will work out well.  The hours are perfect too......9:30 to 12:30 a couple of days a week.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Thanks Mysty, but I must admit one of my friends made the panna cotta.  My dessert skills ends somewhere around banana bread 😀

It does look like you did the better part of the meal though.  So the kudos stand!  😁

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Very unusual - they look somehow upside down, and a bit like the rather grubby top of a lemon meringue pie.

Hey Lola😀 it always goes back to food on here LOL😀

• Haha 5

Lois - I hope you are nowhere near where this latest hurricane is heading?  Just woke far too early, and had a look at the news.  Instead f feeling envy of your lovely warm weather when it is cold and wet here in the UK, I am imagining how it is for the people currently trying to flee central Florida.  We can only hope that it does downgrade as it comes in.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, lincslady said:

Lois - I hope you are nowhere near where this latest hurricane is heading?  Just woke far too early, and had a look at the news.  Instead f feeling envy of your lovely warm weather when it is cold and wet here in the UK, I am imagining how it is for the people currently trying to flee central Florida.  We can only hope that it does downgrade as it comes in.

Good morning Lola, thanks for thinking of me and thankfully I am nowhere near the hurricane zones......I am up at the Northeast tip of the state.....the storm is going to the Southwest part.

It will cross over to the center area but the only thing we will probably get is extra rain and some winds. See the map below.....that should give you a better idea of where Milton is going. 

image.jpeg.ccce2db49278aa77e172ad2560fcd200.jpeg

• Thanks 3

One of the interesting things to come out of these mass evacuations are the offers of places to stay or camp in RV’s.  Some people are offering their vacation homes free of charge, others are saying they have a 10 acre flat field that people can camp in.  It is bringing out the good in many people.

We are thankful that Alligator Point is going to be spared again this week, but are so saddened that many of our friends farther south are likely losing their homes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

Some people are offering their vacation homes free of charge, others are saying they have a 10 acre flat field that people can camp in.  It is bringing out the good in many people.   We are thankful that Alligator Point is going to be spared again this week, but are so saddened that many of our friends farther south are likely losing their homes.

Glad to hear that your location at Alligator Point will be spared and the ways people there are being helpful to their neighbors in the Sunshine State.  Keep us posted as to how this major hurricane affects your part of Florida.  

From the NY Post, here is their headline/graphic this morning with part of the article saying: "Hurricane Milton is expected to be so ferocious, it will cover nearly every beach on Florida’s west coast — and forever change the Sunshine State’s coastline, experts have warned.  At least 95% of Florida’s west coast beaches are forecast to be inundated — or continuously covered by ocean water — when the hurricane, predicted to be one of the strongest ever, is expected to make landfall Wednesday as many still recover from Helene, the US Geological Survey.  'This is the most severe level of coastal change,' the federal agency warned — while saying that 'Milton’s waves and surge' could cause 'erosion and overwash' to 100% of the state’s beaches."

image.thumb.png.65a5beb9f999d7c2f7733edff59efb5c.png

Full story at:

https://nypost.com/2024/10/09/us-news/hurricane-milton-expected-to-be-so-powerful-it-could-forever-change-floridas-coastline/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

DH has a sister and family in the Tampa area, and we are concerned for all, and wishing for the best.  I have been touched by how communities have come together to help each other.  A Tampa chat forum is being used to advertise free help from individuals and businesses.  A retired man in his truck is delivering free generators, sand bags, etc. where needed...some freely provided by businesses, others paid for by himself.  And this is only one example.   My faith in humanity is glowing!.

• Like 7