Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

JP - Bonne chance avec votre français parlant & J’espère que vous passerez tous les deux un bon moment sur votre croisière  (cheated a bit with a translator on 2nd part of that).  Lola - changing out a router challenged me in much the same way.

I got tired of this song back when, but a friend sent this to me and I wanted to share.  More powerful sung & played by women IMO.  As always, only if you've got the time and inclination...

Que, great video! Loved watching the original Led Zep members in the audience enjoying the performance of their song so much. And the Wilson sisters are great musicians. I saw them in concert at RPI back in the day.

Thanks so much for the good cruise wishes. Fingers and toes are crossed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zqtchas said:

You moved to Tunisia now?

Yup, getting closer to Europe.

Tunis really is a gateway between Africa and Europe a great mix of cultures evident everywhere,  bars and clubs, coffee shops and mosques, hijabs and mini skirts, it's a very cosmopolitan city but it's also an Arab city at heart.

And something Madagascar didn't have... traffic lights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, coolers

Reef Knot - you are very intriguing:  maybe you move for work reasons?  Obviously do not want to pry, but is that the reason?  I think French is the second language in Tunisia?

I  miss Daveywavey and Jeff - I wonder if either of them read this rubbish occasionally.

jp - just looked up your cruise; what a lovely itinerary.  We loved Bonifacio in particular, and one time we were there were able to dock right in town, on a tiny ship (Seadream) and have dinner outside looking at the view.  One of those memories which remain with you.   I see your ship will take about 180 passengers, it would be nice if it were only say half full,  for the passengers if not the line's finances.  Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Lola

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lincslady said:

It is lovely for me to be able to keep in touch with you all again - I have just had what is for an old lady a difficult experience.  My one month old 'BT hub/router' broke down - many phone calls, visit from an 'engineer' to say yes, it was the new router at fault.  So no internet for a few days, and new one sent out which came yesterday.  Took me forever to set it up, as one of the necessary instructions was not mentioned in the leaflet, and again some time fiddling around to get laptop connected - now at fast speed, thank goodness.   Everyone says it is easy to do - not for an old  Luddite.

My oldest friend's garage door opening device does not work- the door keeps going up and down on it's own.  I did suggest a new battery, which I think is the problem.  She did not even know it had a battery.

Don't laugh at me, I realise you are all much more computer savvy.  I think I am trying to punch above my weight here, but do need the internet to get our groceries ordered, otherwise we starve.

Thanks for reading my tirade,  

Lola

P. S.  Thanks for all the wine related funnies, makes me feel less like an alky if everyone else is in the same boat.   I need a cruise!

repair -kz.webp

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

Yup, getting closer to Europe.

Tunis really is a gateway between Africa and Europe a great mix of cultures evident everywhere,  bars and clubs, coffee shops and mosques, hijabs and mini skirts, it's a very cosmopolitan city but it's also an Arab city at heart.

And something Madagascar didn't have... traffic lights.

It sounds like an interesting place. There are supposed to be some very good remains of Roman ruins there. Is it safe enough for tourists? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good morning, coolers

Reef Knot - you are very intriguing:  maybe you move for work reasons?  Obviously do not want to pry, but is that the reason?  I think French is the second language in Tunisia?

I  miss Daveywavey and Jeff - I wonder if either of them read this rubbish occasionally.

jp - just looked up your cruise; what a lovely itinerary.  We loved Bonifacio in particular, and one time we were there were able to dock right in town, on a tiny ship (Seadream) and have dinner outside looking at the view.  One of those memories which remain with you.   I see your ship will take about 180 passengers, it would be nice if it were only say half full,  for the passengers if not the line's finances.  Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Lola

Hi Lola ... With ref to Daveywavey!!! I think he's departure from  the cooler was just  after one evening way back when I posted a comment on Stanley Gucci on BBC Graham Norton show ( I mentioned this as Lois was watching his Italian cooking adventure) and said how I enjoy Graham Norton !!! Daveywavey posted a comment ref  Graham and was not very complimentary about  Graham ref his hygiene!!!! Then someone posted a comment about Daveywaveys hotel ( can't remember who)  and since then no response from him 😞 I have replied to a few of his old YouTube channel of various cruises that I still  watch & enjoy & he said he was giving the cooler a break !!!! Maybe he will return...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Hi Lola ... With ref to Daveywavey!!! I think he's departure from  the cooler was just  after one evening way back when I posted a comment on Stanley Gucci on BBC Graham Norton show ( I mentioned this as Lois was watching his Italian cooking adventure) and said how I enjoy Graham Norton !!! Daveywavey posted a comment ref  Graham and was not very complimentary about  Graham ref his hygiene!!!! Then someone posted a comment about Daveywaveys hotel ( can't remember who)  and since then no response from him 😞 I have replied to a few of his old YouTube channel of various cruises that I still  watch & enjoy & he said he was giving the cooler a break !!!! Maybe he will return...

Sorry should have read tucci!!! ( Must have my next silversea dress code on my mind lol !!!)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

@zqtchas  Are you sailing soon?

Yes, Sep 19, DCA-EWR-ATH for the former Black Sea cruise. Return ATH-JFK-DCA OCT 5.

Filled out the Greek forms, have vax proof (pfizer). It says I don't need a test but took one just to make sure (free PCR , neg). So far... so good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

It sounds like an interesting place. There are supposed to be some very good remains of Roman ruins there. Is it safe enough for tourists? 

Sure is, there sure are Roman ruins all over the place.
Tunisia has quite a history dating back to 800 BC when was then known as Carthage, capital of the Phoenician empire .The most famous Carthagean being Hanibal .
The Romans finally took the city around 140 BC and rebuilt it over the next six hundred years or so. I read somewhere that at one point Carthage was the 2nd largest Roman city in its empire.

Is it safe ? Well I'm not aware of any security issues but I'm sure the Embassy websites would say proceed with caution.

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good morning, coolers

Reef Knot - you are very intriguing:  maybe you move for work reasons?  Obviously do not want to pry, but is that the reason?  I think French is the second language in Tunisia

Lola

Hello Lola  

Yes we are here for the job and yes French is pretty much a second language here especially in the main cities.  The French had and still have a huge footprint in Africa, French shopping chains and supermarkets are always visible and French schools an Alliance Francaise to promote French culture.

Edited by Reef Knot
Unfinished post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Yes, Sep 19, DCA-EWR-ATH for the former Black Sea cruise. Return ATH-JFK-DCA OCT 5.

Filled out the Greek forms, have vax proof (pfizer). It says I don't need a test but took one just to make sure (free PCR , neg). So far... so good.

Hope you and your lovely lady have an exceptional time!  ❤ 

18 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Chas, how neat🙂 are you sailing on the Moon? Hope you have a fantastic time!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Hi Reef Knot, and thanks for taking us along on your tour of Africa! I hadn't noticed that you changed your location until Chas brought it up. 

35 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

Sure is, there sure are Roman ruins all over the place.
Tunisia has quite a history dating back to 800 BC when was then known as Carthage, capital of the Phoenician empire .

We made a cruise ship stop in Tunisia back in 2008. Visited the site of Carthage, and also a more modern part of town (Sidi bou Said). The blue and white buildings in that area are stunning. Well worth a visit.

36 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

French is pretty much a second language here especially in the main cities.  The French had and still have a huge footprint in Africa, French shopping chains and supermarkets are always visible and French schools an Alliance Francaise to promote French culture.

That was one of the (many) fun parts of visiting Madagascar. Since it's a second language, they tended to speak French at reasonable speed and I had a shot at understanding and conversing. I didn't remember hearing people speaking French in Tunisia though. Must not have been listening for it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hi. I have gotten way behind on my periodic cooler lurking .  Ponant research brought me back here, via some comments about it.

I obviously missed what happened to Jeff, as this was his thread originally.  I hope he is not ill ?

I never met him, but appreciated a lot of his insights here, pre-Covid.

• Like 1

Boo boo. I was looking forward to Carthage via Tunis in November. Just been notified that both Tunis and Tangier have been removed as ports of call. Not at all surprised but I was so looking forward to visiting Cartage on an elephant. Tant pis. 
Rp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2021 at 6:30 AM, jpalbny said:

The big issue is to see if any of our cruising clothes still fit! The dress code seems just a bit more fancy than SS expeditions but not as fancy as SS classic cruises. I see much laundry and breath-holding, with maybe a few popped buttons, in our near future... And maybe a run to the clothing store!

JP, cruising  is what buttonless elastic waist  trousers were designed  for ( perhaps with belt loops to hide the stretch).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

JP, cruising  is what buttonless elastic waist  trousers were designed  for ( perhaps with belt loops to hide the stretch).

LOL, can't bring myself to do that yet. It feels like giving up and I just can't!

It's been over 20 months since we last packed for a cruise and remarkably, our usual travel stuff still fits, so I'll take that as a victory. I did have to sew a button back on a pair of pants, but that was something that popped a long time ago. Given that I've worn nothing but scrubs at work since last March, I had no incentive to repair those pants until now.

Preliminary packing is done and two rollaboards are comfortably full. Will add a bit here and there this week, then cross-pack and put stuff in our carry-ons. We will have to check our suitcases this time because we're bringing our wine checks as our second carry-on pieces - they are empty this way and hopefully full of local wines from Corsica on the way back. Just don't think they will let us carry on three pieces.

Relaxing with a sip of wine after dinner. Almost time for the hot tub. Dinner pix to follow; the new recipe was so tasty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dinner was chicken. A F&W recipe called Lemony Chicken Thighs with Burst Tomatoes and Swiss Chard Pesto. Modifications were in order as I didn't feel like leaving the house to hunt for Swiss Chard.

I also used a whole chicken instead of just thighs, because that's what we had in the fridge. The first step was to cut it into pieces and brown them. I need a bigger pan.

20210906_171126.thumb.jpg.855c8ec29fbe1f8c99a10bf4fcdc9824.jpg

Shallots, smashed garlic, fresh thyme, and lemons. That all went into the pan after the chicken came out.

20210906_171154.thumb.jpg.23767bcee7179ca4fc285db4817547a7.jpg

After that cooked for a few minutes, the tomatoes went in. These were just picked on Saturday. 

20210906_171158.thumb.jpg.837a00e13c469bc974c3defa78599eb6.jpg

Add a bit of water, simmer, and put the chicken back in. Finished in the oven at 400 degrees. Took maybe 20 minutes. 

20210906_171845.thumb.jpg.d140d3835744edcb8b66312f18778bcd.jpg

I served it over Arborio rice. Cooked up sticky, so it was able to absorb lots of the broth.

20210906_174414.thumb.jpg.26651afdd5e45a098839d38ad60bbcc5.jpg

Finished with pesto. I used about 3/4 spinach and 1/4 arugula. Lemon juice, garlic, parmesan, and sunflower seeds along with nice EVOO. 

20210906_174934.thumb.jpg.80b84c65b799adf8b23ed74a458d0370.jpg

Of course we dug some of the smashed garlic cloves out of the broth and ate them too. The whole dish was really tasty and went well with a Grillo-Viogner blend from Sicily.

And we have lots of leftovers for lunch this week. This recipe was a definite hit. Hope some of you find it and try for yourselves. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1