Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

A beautiful Sunday for a beautiful hike. 4 miles roundtrip from our door. It is off season and this is a very popular trail to hike. Just us today and on the return another couple and their dog. Peace and quiet until the ski season starts on Thanksgiving day. Keeps us fit for the slopes. 

Enjoy your Sunday and Happy Halloween 🙂

IMG_1185.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Last song I will post

Not for the homophobic

(As I used to be)

Now I just open my heart

To my youngest son 

Accept him as he is

And this song brought a tear

To this old man's eyes

Beautiful Que! 🥰

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

This seems to be the motto for this distinguished forum, where all and sundry are bandied about on a regular basis, from soup to nuts:

'The time has come,' the walrus said, 'to talk of many things: of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings’.

Indeed WWFT!  And a safe place to do just that!  I think that should be inscribed at the entrance to the Cooler Bar!  Bravo!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Last song I will post

Not for the homophobic

(As I used to be)

Now I just open my heart

To my youngest son 

Accept him as he is

And this song brought a tear

To this old man's eyes

Beautiful song. My favorite uncle and a top interior designer was gay. We figured it out eventually. I miss him dearly. He taught me about beautiful fabrics, fabulous design, and I have brought so much of that education into my life. I see the potential in a home on a beautiful property that others cannot see. Just finished a remodel that has taken over a year. Thank you, Uncle Gary

• Like 3

So solo travel plan A for January 22  (14 night land tour of Rahjastan) has recently cancelled but not yet officially cancelled. Plan B (Machu Pichu/Sacred Valley/ 4n Amazon Cruise/ 4n Iquitos Treehouse/ Iguazu falls / Antarctic cruise is becoming too complicated. Plan C, Kasane 1n Zambezi Queen 2n, Victoria Falls Safari lodge 2n, Vic Falls River lodge star bed 2n,  Pretoria Kievits Kroon 1n, Blue Train 2n, I night CPT, then join the Azamara Pursuit  for the 12 night cruise with lots of game drives available. Do any coolers have any input on any suggestions for any better ideas, must see's or don't bothers? I'm very limited by time and SS aren't going where I want when I want. I Do also want to check out AZ and the trip ticks many boxes. Any input from my lovely cooler friends would be gratefully received. 

DW. Come join us in Northern Finland to celebrate Chris's birthday in January! We are staying at Northern Lights Village in Saariselkä. Should be decent viewing conditions. 

Too bad about the Peru trip. That looks perfect. We have looked at similar itineraries but never put one together. 

Having visited South Africa by cruise and by land, I will say that I enjoyed the land trip much more. I'd rather do the first half of your itinerary then DIY from CPT. Or do a private game reserve near Kruger. What is the itinerary for the AZ cruise?

Edited by jpalbny

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

DW. Come join us in Northern Finland to celebrate Chris's birthday in January! We are staying at Northern Lights Village in Saariselkä. Should be decent viewing conditions. 

Too bad about the Peru trip. That looks perfect. We have looked at similar itineraries but never put one together. 

Having visited South Africa by cruise and by land, I will say that I enjoyed the land trip much more. I'd rather do the first half of your itinerary then DIY from CPT. Or do a private game reserve near Kruger. What is the itinerary for the AZ cruise?

That’s not far off plan D JP, if things go nipples up it might be a holiday based around the coastal route on Hurtigruten but I do find myself youtubing “hurtigruten storm” every now and again which offers food for thought. image.jpeg.49394bd2c8aa33765f6dc406eb57d051.jpeg

• Like 1

OK, we did all of those South African ports on SS in Feb-March 2011. Richards Bay was best for game drives but there is still nothing like the parks and private reserves near Kruger for that.

There is a photo album for that trip on my SmugMug page - the cruise is towards the end. I didn't do a blog so my memory may be fuzzy.

East London - we had a great tour guide who was the retired headmaster at a local primary school. He took us there for a bit to meet the kids and see the school. Then we saw an exhibit on some ancient footprints, and went to a "Bantu village" which was fairly touristy. East London has a Natural History museum where they have a coelacanth and a dodo on display - I really wanted to see this but we couldn't get there.

Maputo - we didn't do anything in the town. We took a tour to a game preserve which was fairly recently established and completely under-developed. The highlight was the buffet lunch... Visited a marketplace and then a nice hotel.

Richards Bay - we had an overnight and two days there. One day we did a game drive at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park which was fine but smaller-scale than Kruger. Then we did a boat tour for hippos on the second day.

Durban - we toured the botanical gardens, the football stadium (including a ride up the car that scales the exterior, all the way to the roof for views), and then went to the beach for the afternoon so I could say that I dipped my feet into the Indian Ocean.

Port Elizabeth - we took a small plane to the Addo Elephant reserve to see them. Great excursion.

Cape Town of course - great city, lots to do, but make sure you visit Stellenbosch, Franschoek, etc for wine tasting and some amazing food. The first visit, we left less than a day for this area, and regretted it for years until we had a chance to go back and stay longer. If you have the time, stay in Stellenbosch. I'd recommend the Wild Mushroom Boutique Hotel. Pictures in my 2016 South Africa album. The wine country is just gorgeous.

As much as I like cruising, though, we had a better time in SA on our 2016 land trip. But SA is beautiful and I'm sure you'll have fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

OK, we did all of those South African ports on SS in Feb-March 2011. Richards Bay was best for game drives but there is still nothing like the parks and private reserves near Kruger for that.

There is a photo album for that trip on my SmugMug page - the cruise is towards the end. I didn't do a blog so my memory may be fuzzy.

East London - we had a great tour guide who was the retired headmaster at a local primary school. He took us there for a bit to meet the kids and see the school. Then we saw an exhibit on some ancient footprints, and went to a "Bantu village" which was fairly touristy. East London has a Natural History museum where they have a coelacanth and a dodo on display - I really wanted to see this but we couldn't get there.

Maputo - we didn't do anything in the town. We took a tour to a game preserve which was fairly recently established and completely under-developed. The highlight was the buffet lunch... Visited a marketplace and then a nice hotel.

Richards Bay - we had an overnight and two days there. One day we did a game drive at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park which was fine but smaller-scale than Kruger. Then we did a boat tour for hippos on the second day.

Durban - we toured the botanical gardens, the football stadium (including a ride up the car that scales the exterior, all the way to the roof for views), and then went to the beach for the afternoon so I could say that I dipped my feet into the Indian Ocean.

Port Elizabeth - we took a small plane to the Addo Elephant reserve to see them. Great excursion.

Cape Town of course - great city, lots to do, but make sure you visit Stellenbosch, Franschoek, etc for wine tasting and some amazing food. The first visit, we left less than a day for this area, and regretted it for years until we had a chance to go back and stay longer. If you have the time, stay in Stellenbosch. I'd recommend the Wild Mushroom Boutique Hotel. Pictures in my 2016 South Africa album. The wine country is just gorgeous.

As much as I like cruising, though, we had a better time in SA on our 2016 land trip. But SA is beautiful and I'm sure you'll have fun.

Many thanks for the tips JP, it gives me a lot more to go on. The pics are fantastic. Looks like you had an amazing time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DW. We did an overland to the Maasai Mara from Mombasa and found it to be wonderfully calm and refreshing.  We saw lots of wildlife in our all too brief visit but I will never forget just how peaceful it was.  The airport in Mombasa, however, is a nightmare.   We also went to Hluhluwe on a day trip from a Silversea cruise and saw an impressive number of animals.  Back in the 1960’s I went to Kruger, but that was well before the onslaught of tourists so the wildlife was abundant.  You really can't go wrong with any of those.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

DW. We did an overland to the Maasai Mara from Mombasa and found it to be wonderfully calm and refreshing.  We saw lots of wildlife in our all too brief visit but I will never forget just how peaceful it was.  The airport in Mombasa, however, is a nightmare.   We also went to Hluhluwe on a day trip from a Silversea cruise and saw an impressive number of animals.  Back in the 1960’s I went to Kruger, but that was well before the onslaught of tourists so the wildlife was abundant.  You really can't go wrong with any of those.

Wow Emtb, you were so lucky to see it back then. I Was looking at Kenya but think that will be for another trip. I Was drawn more to the SA side to tick several boxes such as Vic Falls, The blue train and the Zambezi Queen. There are lots of opportunities for game watching on the land based part of the trip and in different environments and every port (except Maputo which sadly is only a 6 hour call and would have been a great opportunity to visit the Kruger) has full day game drives available.

BTW, anyone else having trouble on the boards today? Logged in but not logged in.

• Like 1