Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

5 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, this is a good one. I wonder what type of bread flour to use that I can get in the US that is comparable? I do make pizza dough and would love to make baguettes. 🙂

I reckon the type of flour and yeast are quite critical.

When I publish my cheese straws recipe, you will notice that the cheese is crucial (strength 7 mature cheddar and parmesan). I fear you may struggle to get the right cheddar in the US (Canadian cheddar is probably OK though).

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Griddle pan - check (gets a lot of use!)

I have seen those triple baguette thingies around - should be no problem to source.

Jeff - I am sort of 'taking one for the team' - I am sure other foodies are following this thread with interest.

Can you taste this ….

D266BD23-5D0C-4524-8554-5225895DAE3C.png

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I reckon the type of flour and yeast are quite critical.

When I publish my cheese straws recipe, you will notice that the cheese is crucial (strength 7 mature cheddar and parmesan). I fear you may struggle to get the right cheddar in the US (Canadian cheddar is probably OK though).

As long as you get the highest protein number it’s very forgiving.  Tins of the instant yeast because you can vary your spoonfuls without being burdened with preset wheight sachets. 

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

19 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I won't bill you for a new keyboard ruined by my drool...

🙂

I always have a selection of Serrano, Parma, some lovely fatty salami, mortadella and porchetta in the fridge. They always have long dates and there’s nothing more liberating than fancying having a lovely salami baguette with some rustic red for lunch tomorrow and wandering into the kitchen to mix the baguettes in readiness……

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

🙂

I always have a selection of Serrano, Parma, some lovely fatty salami, mortadella and porchetta in the fridge. They always have long dates and there’s nothing more liberating than fancying having a lovely salami baguette with some rustic red for lunch tomorrow and wandering into the kitchen to mix the baguettes in readiness……

I find using Boursin instead of butter adds something as well.

• Like 2

Ok i have the baguette thing and i will share.

i also have a baking steel and have increased my upper arm strength hugely by the sheer weight of using it.

willing to share that too…

i am lurking to bake.

ok back to the background.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 3

In happier times the Beatles sang:

"Got up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,

And looking up, I noticed I was late. (sounds of tooth brushing)

Grabbed my coat, and grabbed my hat,

Made the bus in seconds flat."  And so forth. 

But now, we have the pandemic floating over us and generally making it hard to spring out of bed when first you hear the alarm go off.  But still, despite the general malaise, some of us working stiffs still need to get up, shower and shave, and head out into the world in a wakeful, if not woke, state.  There is still work to be done, and the world deserves people ready to take on the world to do it. 

To that end, I'm happy to share a recent purchase I made from the estimable Acme Corp.:  The Smack & Shave Deluxe.  Feeling drowsy, still trailing clouds from dreamland??  Activate this little item, and you'll be on the receiving end of veritable Joe Palooka wake-up call!  Ten-shun!!  No more moping about, you'll be looking for your styptic pencil, a cold filet mignon, or maybe an icepack!!  

This quality, American made (using imported parts) device doubles as a shaving mirror, with the flip of a few levers.  You know it is the highest quality, as it is endorsed by Mr. Roadrunner.  Beep beep!!  

IMG_3039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Baguette pan on order from Amazon along with Artisan flour and white rye flour from King Arthur. Looking forward to a warm baguette to go with the many soups and stews I make for those cold Winter nights.

Lovely!

Early this morning at around 03:30’ish whilst Tony Soprano was leaving hospital, I had the nagging idea of adding some dried fried onion to a sweetened golden dough mix and so off I went with Tony on pause and it progressed well overnight.   It seemed to me that the water would rehydrate the onions. 

I sprinkled some sesame and poppy seeds and I’ve just taken it out of the oven to cool and will be tasting it later with some President butter and gruyere.  It smells extremely good. 

My wife’s ritual with my standard baguettes is like you to have some with soup and some with Tiptree jam for desert.

Most Monday’s during winter I start a vat we call “The Broth of God” which is a large quantity of chicken soup which keeps simmering all day from Monday to Friday, which has cups scooped  out each time we pass.

Today’s onion baguette….

A7590874-EEAF-45EE-BFAE-ED09915A5318.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Lovely!

Early this morning at around 03:30’ish whilst Tony Soprano was leaving hospital, I had the nagging idea of adding some dried fried onion to a sweetened golden dough mix and so off I went with Tony on pause and it progressed well overnight.   It seemed to me that the water would rehydrate the onions. 

I added some sesame and poppy seeds and I’ve just taken it out of the oven to cool and will be tasting it later with some President butter and gruyere.  It smells extremely good. 

A7590874-EEAF-45EE-BFAE-ED09915A5318.jpeg

Hi Jeff, 

I think it was a couple of years ago that I bought the gear and tried your recipee. I had big problems working the wet dough (I think you recommended a 70% ratio). Also I don't think the local flour was great ( only 10 for the protein number).

But nonetheless  I persevered and now regularly  make baguettes and loaves all be it to a 63% water dough ratio.

By the way, that little blue plastic scraper has to be the best 80p spent.

Thanks for your advise and encouragement at the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

Hi Jeff, 

I think it was a couple of years ago that I bought the gear and tried your recipee. I had big problems working the wet dough (I think you recommended a 70% ratio). Also I don't think the local flour was great ( only 10 for the protein number).

But nonetheless  I persevered and now regularly  make baguettes and loaves all be it to a 63% water dough ratio.

By the way, that little blue plastic scraper has to be the best 80p spent.

Thanks for your advise and encouragement at the time.

Hi kind of you … thanks. Yes a protein of 10 isn’t really bread flour. 

My way has moved on a bit since.  In fact I do even less. I’m much lazier and my bread much, much better.  But my normal hydration is now 80% which has improved my bread no end. I never actually touch wet sticky dough during the whole process. 

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your note.  I have a real desire to see others make bread and picture their faces when they produce something that is better than they can buy and is better than they thought themselves capable.  And it is the start rather than the end of a very rewarding daily ritual.   There is so much garbage published by artisan bakers  intended to mystify their art rather than genuinely inspire others to try.  

Thanks. 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, mysty said:

Campaign - Day 30

335781105_MakeTodayAwesomeAndTomorrowJealousMotivationalPhrasebyAshleyCalhoun-GraphicArt.jpg.e1c78f2a6c1f570d22ad94416fc015f9.jpg

This is the last campaign post.  Please be kind, please be gentle, please be thoughtful and above all please enjoy your life!  And maybe make some awesome bread!  😄

Marvellous campaign mysty but I must admit I have been naughty and used much of your campaign on other sites.

Please forgive me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drron29 said:

Marvellous campaign mysty but I must admit I have been naughty and used much of your campaign on other sites.

Please forgive me.

9 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Mysty told me to  spank  you next time I see you  !

drron, please feel free to use whatever I post.  😄  It is just recycling and recycling is good and saves the planet!

rojaan, I don't think I said spank him.  It was more like "thank him".  But maybe I was lisping!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2