Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Just thought I would say hello from the Canary Islands since I have not participated in this thread in a very long time.  Hope all of you are doing well.

Hi Lois! Have been following along on your other thread - glad to hear from you and hope the good times continue. We leave for the Spirit in 4-1/2 weeks!

• Like 1

I've not seen any foodie pics lately so I thought I'd show you all last night's supper, courtesy of Jamie Oliver.  It was the first partridge dish of the season and the birds were shot locally but not by me.  Firstly I took the breasts and the legs and thighs off the carcasses.  Then I enriched a homemade chicken stock with the carcasses. Next I simmered some pearly barley in water for about 40 mins and allowed it to steam dry.  For the final preparation I sweated a red onion in olive oil, added frozen peas and the pearl barley and simmered in the stock for ten minutes.  Then I thickened it slightly with beurre manie and added a shredded little gem lettuce. In a frying pan I cooked the legs and thighs, then added the breasts, some pancetta and thyme.  Heaped it on top of the barley mix.  Voila!

DSC_0003.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 8

And here is an awesome video about our favourite restaurant Black Tartan Kitchen and the amazing Chef/Owner Ian Carswell.  It was done to promote tourism in our area.  The farmers market in the video is about a 15 minute walk from where we live.  Love our home!

https://www.facebook.com/ontarioshighlands/videos/1238419326656916/?extid=NS-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mysty said:

And here is an awesome video about our favourite restaurant Black Tartan Kitchen and the amazing Chef/Owner Ian Carswell.  It was done to promote tourism in our area.  The farmers market in the video is about a 15 minute walk from where we live.  Love our home!

https://www.facebook.com/ontarioshighlands/videos/1238419326656916/?extid=NS-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C

It's probably less than 5h from us, as the Audi flies. We've always wanted to visit Ottawa. Shall we meet there first?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's probably less than 5h from us, as the Audi flies. We've always wanted to visit Ottawa. Shall we meet there first?

Oh yes!!!!  A thousand times yes!  I'd rather die than say no!  😁

• Like 2

Took a mental health day today as I had to work last Monday when I should have had a 3-day weekend. My partner is off for the rest of the week so I'm stuck with everything at work once I go back tomorrow. Rest today, or not at all.

Took advantage of the extra time to visit our local butcher shop, and picked up a few tasty items for dinners this week. I got some nice pork chops, a porterhouse steak, and a huge package of flanken-cut short ribs. Love this place - they put the short ribs out as a whole slab. Once you pick the slab that you want, they cut it however you'd like. 

Tonight's dinner was cod in a red wine sauce with mushrooms and bacon. Red wine with fish? Sure, the Portuguese do it all the time. In fact I ate a delicious cod dish with a red wine there on our Douro trip 2 years ago. So I was excited to try this recipe that we'd found in F&W a while ago.

I started by crisping up a few slices of thick-cut bacon (purchased today from the butcher as well). Mushrooms and onions were cooked in the bacon fat. Add red wine and boil down, then add a concoction of veal demi-glace and a few spices, with a hit of ketchup to thicken it.

As the sauce was simmering and getting thick, I cooked the fish. The cod fillet is seared very simply, in lots of butter, which is also used to baste the fish while it cooks.

I mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and put them in the bottom of the serving dish, with the fish on top and the sauce all around. Some additional mushrooms, and the crumbled bacon, finished it out. Don't tell anyone but I also poured all of the leftover butter (from cooking the fish) over the potatoes too!

20211018_185557.thumb.jpg.588175cdd23aa19c071d6be600e4d58b.jpg

It's hard to see the fish but it was there, and very tasty.

It matched well with the same red wine used to make the sauce. A super cheap Portuguese red from the Dao region. Less than $10 for the bottle. Red wine with fish is certainly not a standard pairing but this preparation definitely went well with it. The recipe actually called for a red Bordeaux but I decided to go with something lighter.

20211018_194742.thumb.jpg.4e80c4aed49f415563bb6a6b7ae4b3e3.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 9

I had some fun yesterday.  A week ago I learned that the most famous steam locomotive ever built in the UK, the Flying Scotsman, was being hosted by a nearby heritage line, the Mid Norfolk Railway.  It was doing runs for paying train buffs but yesterday it was leaving the area and heading for a town called Carnforth in Lancashire, about 250 miles away, and famous for its steam heritage as well as being the location for David Lean and Noel Coward's classic 1945 movie Brief Encounter.  Anyway, I got up early and  took this snap of the train as it thundered past -

IMG_1904.jpg

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

I had some fun yesterday.  A week ago I learned that the most famous steam locomotive ever built in the UK, the Flying Scotsman, was being hosted by a nearby heritage line, the Mid Norfolk Railway.  It was doing runs for paying train buffs but yesterday it was leaving the area and heading for a town called Carnforth in Lancashire, about 250 miles away, and famous for its steam heritage as well as being the location for David Lean and Noel Coward's classic 1945 movie Brief Encounter.  Anyway, I got up early and  took this snap of the train as it thundered past -

IMG_1904.jpg

Beautiful photo and lovely history lesson!

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

IMG_1904.jpg

Awesome  photo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Not sure if that was a poke!  If it was,  your aim is not true! 😁 

I am certain, Mysty, that a poke toward you was not meant.  When I read it, I got the impression it was a general observation that it would be great if folks in general were to adopt it.  

Frank

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HHIslander said:

I am certain, Mysty, that a poke toward you was not meant.  When I read it, I got the impression it was a general observation that it would be great if folks in general were to adopt it.  

Frank

Thank you Frank!   And there is now a barstool for you! 😄  Really appreciate your response!   Please come back and bend an elbow when the spirit moves!

• Like 1