Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

5 hours ago, mysty said:

Our favourite restaurant created a video to celebrate our Thanksgiving Day tomorrow.  I'm hoping the link I provide will work for viewers.

https://fb.watch/8yH62_Gi_4/

The Black Tartan Kitchen is truly a magical place!

Mysty,

The restaurant world today seems to be dominated by the chain restaurants the celebrity restaurants  or the
pretentiously overpriced *** restaurants 
So it's always refreshing to find an independent such as the Black Tarten Kitchen offering something different and imaginative. We need more of these places in our towns .

• Like 2

We do need more restaurants like Black Tartan, but my waistline decidedly does not!

So I went out to the garden today to see what I could find. Plenty of cherry tomatoes though they aren't ripening as fast as I'd like. There are 4 eggplants so I grabbed the one that looked the nicest, along with some cherry tomatoes, and then some fresh sage and oregano.

We were lucky enough to find veal scaloppini in the grocery store today - it's been almost nonexistent for the past year or more. So I wanted to make something special with it and decided to do a mashup of some different recipes. Veal Sorrentino (veal, eggplant, prosciutto, and mozzarella) and Saltimbocca (add sage, but no eggplant). The more flavors, the merrier.

But no breading here. Just a sprinkle of salt and pepper, then a dusting of flour on both the eggplant slices and the veal escallops before a quick fry in olive oil. I like to taste the ingredients, not the breading. Then I made a sauce with tomatoes, sage and oregano, and Marsala wine. Sage doesn't usually go with tomatoes but I wanted to make it a more hearty Autumn dish, and I wanted it to go with a red wine.

Once the tomatoes were soft and a bit of sauce had formed, I put the veal in the pan, topped it with a sage leaf, then prosciutto, then eggplant rounds, then mozzarella. Into the oven to melt and sizzle, while the fettucine cooked.

20211010_182603.thumb.jpg.9230ca2932a788351623576604c76997.jpg

The finished product was delicious and went well with a Lemberger from the Finger Lakes. Would have preferred a Barbera but none to be found in the cellar. A bit of grated Asiago cheese to finish.

20211010_184247.thumb.jpg.636cbdd32aa999087b5ece47bf995f84.jpg

Eggplant fresh off the vine just has a different texture and doesn't go all soft when you cook it. It's really tasty and I have three more on the vine to cook with in the next few weeks. I want to find a recipe for that Corsican stuffed eggplant that we had on board Ponant, which was very tasty. 

I have to work tomorrow for at least a few hours, so no late night here. Happy Columbus Day / Indigenous Peoples' Day to all of us, and Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

On 10/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, QueSeraSera said:

We have opened a NZ sauvignon blanc, 2020 Infamous Goose, one I knew we both liked. 

Late 2023 we're booked on the Muse out of Auckland, maybe we should arrive a week or so early to sample more of these excellent wines!  Time for a 2nd glass, cheers everyone!

we did that one year on points but didn't got to Marlborough. ready again.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

ready again.

think about December 2023 chas, would love to see you over there, before sailing for Australia!  Or even better join us on the cruise!  We'll get to Marlborough once we figure out where it is 🙂

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I have to work tomorrow for at least a few hours,

Sorry for that JP.  We all respect the work you (and all in the medical field) do, thank you.  Specially in these times...Those pictures were wonderful!  Any leftovers? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool video, QSS. Loved seeing George Michael in the audience. And Bowie holding the cigarette the whole time while he's singing. Finally gets a puff at the end. Chris thought that the high notes were a bit out of Annie's range but she was great on the low register.

• Like 2

images.jpg.e085d06356af55458b7d8c0a8f00dbb0.jpg

It's Thanksgiving Day here in Canada.  We have so very much to be thankful for.   86% of the population aged 12 and older have received at least one dose of the COVID vaccine.  81% of the population aged 12 and older are fully vaccinated.  There are still restrictions in place, however we have much more freedom and hope than we did at this time last year.  Myster and I are thankful that our children and grandchildren are healthy and that we are healthy too. We are thankful that our children were able to work from home and were not struggling to pay bills during the various lockdowns.  We are thankful that the world is opening for travel even if it is by taking baby steps. We are thankful that we can imagine a brighter tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to any and all who choose to be thankful today!

244953744_4437653659614964_4949350479447563878_n.jpg.8a6591ba608e3fef68788b11d5a63fd2.jpg

• Like 10

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

think about December 2023 chas, would love to see you over there, before sailing for Australia!  Or even better join us on the cruise!  We'll get to Marlborough once we figure out where it is 🙂

will check it out. I just hope to live long enough to make it thru the 7 segments we have paid for +

some free? weeks we have coming.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

will check it out. I just hope to live long enough to make it thru the 7 segments we have paid for +

some free? weeks we have coming.

Sounds like you have some awesome adventures to look forward to Chas!  Just keep breathing! 😁

Tonight we get our first frost in the Southern Willamette Valley, so better get these Cosmos on here while the getting's good.  Since we started keeping bees (7 hives now), we decommissioned the lawn and plant all manner of bee-friendly things - clover, borage, lots of flowers, lavender, etc..  Those bees have a lot better work ethic than most humans seem to have, these days!  And - for you Brits - they love their Queen!!  

IMG_5529.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s sad to think how unlikely it is our country will ever achieve such a figure. 

I wanted to chime in with a quick report on the figures in Australia.

After a very slow start, things are starting to look up.  As of today 82.4% of over 16 year olds have had at least one dose and 62.4% have had two doses. The figures I'm looking at don't include 12+ year olds but the take up rate for that age group has been extremely high and is now near the older groups.

The authorities are now expecting that we will achieve 90% double dose by the middle of next month. That is a very high level on world standards. I won't go into why we were so slow and why there are large regional variations in the figures. That would be much too political! Things are starting to open in NSW and Victoria is not too far behind. There are still may road bumps in front of us but I am a lot more hopeful than I was even a month ago.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Tonight we get our first frost in the Southern Willamette Valley…

Absolutely beautiful!

Winter weather advisories and winter storm watches have been posted for all of our mountain ranges starting tomorrow afternoon. We have fully transitioned from summer to winter now as our three weeks of fall come to an end. 😁

24 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

The authorities are now expecting that we will achieve 90% double dose by the middle of next month.

Absolutely incredible!  Hopefully you all have a wonderful summer, free from restrictions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

I wanted to chime in with a quick report on the figures in Australia.

After a very slow start, things are starting to look up.  As of today 82.4% of over 16 year olds have had at least one dose and 62.4% have had two doses. The figures I'm looking at don't include 12+ year olds but the take up rate for that age group has been extremely high and is now near the older groups.

The authorities are now expecting that we will achieve 90% double dose by the middle of next month. That is a very high level on world standards. I won't go into why we were so slow and why there are large regional variations in the figures. That would be much too political! Things are starting to open in NSW and Victoria is not too far behind. There are still may road bumps in front of us but I am a lot more hopeful than I was even a month ago.

Hopefully my WA will get to 80% double dose by December, and then 90% in the New Year? I am thinking my husband and I will need a booster before we even get to travel interstate so we completed our first dose mid July 🤔.

We are hoping to visit Lord Howe Island off the NSW coastline in mid-February. If anyone who loves hiking and snorkelling visits Sydney then Lord Howe is recommended. Though it is definitely best to plan well in advance as visitor numbers are capped at 400 and it is a 2 hour small plane flight from Sydney.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Flowers for our Canadian neighbors.  Happy Thanksgiving!

image.thumb.png.922a7d90015cf10d493270f1074be231.png

Impatiens

4 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Tonight we get our first frost in the Southern Willamette Valley, so better get these Cosmos on here while the getting's good.  Since we started keeping bees (7 hives now), we decommissioned the lawn and plant all manner of bee-friendly things - clover, borage, lots of flowers, lavender, etc..  Those bees have a lot better work ethic than most humans seem to have, these days!  And - for you Brits - they love their Queen!!  

IMG_5529.jpg

Gorgeous flower pictures. I am just about to redo parts of my front yard because it got a weed infestation that was hard to eradicate so we dug it up. Because we have a dry climate and water restrictions in Summer I tend to plant natives like Kangaroo Paws and Grevillea interspersed with water savers like Proteas.

anigozanthos_kangaroo-paw_bush-pearl-3.j

Kangaroo Paw Bush Pearl flowers often and looks great mass planted. 

• Like 5