Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

15 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Jazzbeau?  Thinking you could help me understand why the deletions, but if not, we still love you

I haven't deleted any of your posts, but an explanation is that when an offensive post [not yours] is removed all posts that quote it also generally get removed – otherwise the offensive stuff would still be there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

If it were me, it would need a bottle of Mad Dog 20 20 alongside.

553B8427-5205-402C-ADA7-F70DFC4B5BFA.jpeg

In my innocence I have never heard of Mad Dog 20 20.  I scurried off to learn more.   From Wikipedia.......Flavored fortified wines (known informally as bum wines or bum vino) are inexpensive fortified wines that typically have an alcohol content between 13% and 20% alcohol by volume (ABV). They are made from various fruits (including grapes and citrus fruits) with added sugar, artificial flavor and artificial color.

Now I understand why this was not a familiar quaff for me! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

In my innocence I have never heard of Mad Dog 20 20.  I scurried off to learn more.   From Wikipedia.......Flavored fortified wines (known informally as bum wines or bum vino) are inexpensive fortified wines that typically have an alcohol content between 13% and 20% alcohol by volume (ABV). They are made from various fruits (including grapes and citrus fruits) with added sugar, artificial flavor and artificial color.

Now I understand why this was not a familiar quaff for me! 🤣

There is also a more expensive Vintage version.  The 9:15pm is especially good!!!

• Haha 2

I didn't want to hijack @bitob's serious question about Pressing on Silversea

[https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2807209-pressing-on-silversea/]

but it did remind me that this was how Britain used to get the crews for its ships.  I hope the Butlers on Silversea are voluntary enlistees! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I didn't want to hijack @bitob's serious question about Pressing on Silversea

[https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2807209-pressing-on-silversea/]

but it did remind me that this was how Britain used to get the crews for its ships.  I hope the Butlers on Silversea are voluntary enlistees! 🤣

Your mind works in mysterious ways Jazz! 🤣

• Haha 1

MD20/20 was indeed bad stuff - I always figured if you had a few pulls on the bottle, you wouldn't be seeing 20/20 - maybe seeing double more like it.  In same league as Night Train, or some of early 70's swill like Annie Green Springs.  Or God-awful fruit flavored wines - I thought of them as bubble gum wines - if you listened to bubble gum music, you probably drank bubble gum wines.  I dimly recall their being gallon jugs of Red Mountain, which was probably filled directly from the tanker car on the train fresh up from Lodi, or wherever the fine grapes were raised.  Yes, indeed - making fine wines since 3pm!!  One of my favorite New Yorker cartoons, appearing decades ago, was a couple in a car on the freeway, looking out window at passing tanker truck with big label on side "Cheap White Wine"!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Have been back at it, booking trips. Only our timeframe is much shorter these days. With all the unknowns, I'm not crazy about booking more than a few months in advance.

So I booked a week in Finland, in January, for Chris's birthday! We fly out of Boston on a Friday night, arriving Saturday afternoon in Helsinki. On Sunday we fly north to Ivalo for 3 nights at Northern Lights Village. Hoping to see the blasted Aurora once and for all. 

They have glass-roofed cabins at the resort, where the glass is heated to prevent fogging, so you can see the Aurora from your room. We also have some cool excursions included such as snowshoeing, and a reindeer sleigh trip to see the Aurora. Looks like a great time! We will definitely be bringing our Silversea parkas because it's going to be chilly for sure.

There will be very little light while we are there. The hotel is located aboute 68.4 degrees North, and the length of daylight ranges from 1h17 to 2h5 while we are there. The moon will be around first quarter so not too bright. Now if the clouds cooperate, we have a decent chance of seeing the Northern Lights. That would make her birthday very special!

After we fly back from Ivalo, we have 4 nights in Helsinki before flying home on Sunday. Then Monday will be MLK day so we have a chance to recover before work on the Tuesday.

I now realize that I have really missed travel planning. This is fun!

• Like 7