Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Yesterday was our 53rd anniversary and we planned to go out for dinner, the garage door wouldn't open, huge spring was broken, so we had frozen leftover lasagna for dinner--at least it was mine and good, but not planned. This hasn't been the greatest month with DH spine surgery coming up Jan 15 and having to cancel the Cloud Antarctica cruise. Then our beautiful kitty developed kidney failure and we're basically on maintenance for her as long as quality of life holds on. Next year has to be better.

Hope everyone else has a good holiday, Merry Christmas from the Colorado mountains.

20160731_195338.jpg

Yummy_Mini_Button_300x300.jpg?height=300

I agree with Lois J.....I would like to order that meal please.

Miss S....lovely to see you here!  🙂

We got a dusting of snow this morning so the stage is set!  

Sorry to hear about your recent woes silkismom!  Best wishes for a much brighter 2019!

Edited by mysty

Belated Happy Anniversay Silkismom and sorry about your kitty.  I am not a cat person but I know from many people that their pets are very important to them. (I am not a pet person at all really). Hope your hubby will be ok too.

As for next year? I have deep concerns about it but will not bring everyone down about it.  Just wishing us all a good New Year.

The cooler is buzzing with Holiday cheer! Nice to see.

BillB, hope that the white sand makes up for lack of snow. It's Christmas already for you so have a Happy one!

TTS, thanks for the laughs. I had to look up Milton Keynes too, but I did get the Frankenstein reference.

Jeff, welcome back. And great food too! Looks delish.

MissS, hope the busy pre-Christmas pays off with a nice relaxing Christmas Day celebration.

Silkismom, beautiful cat picture. She looks angelic. Very few cats truly are... You may recall from earlier this year on the cooler that we lost our old girl in February, so you have my sympathies as well. Hope the treatments are not a burden on her and that you have quality time together.

Mysty, good luck on the last page of tasks. We didn't pack much this weekend so it will be time to get on that soon.

Lois, Happy New Year to you too. It will be better than you think! Or at least I hope so. 😄

UpstateJan, what did you think of the sprinkling of snow this morning? Looks really pretty. Almost a white Christmas.

Hope I haven't inadvertently missed anybody. Now, back to work...

besberry...it looks like a lovely place.  In fact I found 50 reasons to love Milton Keynes!

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jan/20/50-reasons-love-milton-keynes-concrete-cows-wd-40

I kind of love #3 especially since there is a Canadian connection.  🙂 

"Among the city’s 220 works of public art is this 1978 sculpture by Canadian artist Liz Leyh consisting of three cows and three calves, roughly half life-size and so, you’d think, confusing to wandering livestock. Shortly after former culture minister Kim Howells raged against modern art’s “cold, mechanical, conceptual b******t” in 2002, concrete cow pats appeared beneath the sculpture."

Milton Keynes itself isn’t amazing but there are some beautiful parts around there M. I used to keep my horse in a beautiful little village just by Woburn Abbey. Chocolate box sort of place.

Ive recently been tracked down by my cousin who was more like my sister when I was a kid. She moved to Vancouver Island shortly after getting married and we lost touch. She’s here in the UK for just over a week and is hoping to get over to Sunny Wales.  If not i’ll Just have to come to Canada myself! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Milton Keynes itself isn’t amazing but there are some beautiful parts around there M. I used to keep my horse in a beautiful little village just by Woburn Abbey. Chocolate box sort of place.

Ive recently been tracked down by my cousin who was more like my sister when I was a kid. She moved to Vancouver Island shortly after getting married and we lost touch. She’s here in the UK for just over a week and is hoping to get over to Sunny Wales.  If not i’ll Just have to come to Canada myself! 

Please do come to Canada DW!  I think you would quite like it.  Vancouver Island is beautiful!  We visited Tofino on the west coast of the island in 2015.  Here are a few shots from the area:

SDC11085.JPG.01d7039332aa353d451e7cc63d50a748.JPGSDC11111.JPG.db3d8e0377f244724e74a6401759c34c.JPGSDC11120.JPG.ecd604d08b43b3ce3be5e4134a7bb7d0.JPG

We live in Ontario on the eastern-ish side of the country.  You could always pop in for a spot of tea or maybe a dram of something not tea.  🙂  

Lovely photos!

If ya'll recall, I booked a cruise on Azamara for April. I was looking at their website and they have some beverages included but not all.  Funny how after sailing SS I forgot it is different on other lines LOL.....I can upgrade on Azamara and I think I will do that......I can get the "Ultimate Package" which basically includes all that I want and it is about 250.00 total for the 11 nights.

The complimentary package they offer does have some varied choices but nothing in the "cordial" category and I really like those for after dinner.  I guess I could pay as I go but I think it will be easier for me to just buy the package.

JP, I hope you are right.

Lovely pics M, I’d love to stop in for a cuppa,  it’s a bit of a walk though! I’m a little bit torn tbh because there are only a couple of opportunities next year due to busy schedules to get away. One of them coincides with the Silver Muse being around Vancouver 17th June. Can’t get away till at least the 16th but could tag a couple of days on at the end to spend with my cousin near Cobble Hill. The price is looking quite good at the mo and I haven’t started “ proceedings” yet (minding my p’s &q’s) so still could take the 25% credit too. Just not sure if I trust you know who after last time. 

Edited by Daveywavey70
  • Like 1

Lots to consider DW!  It would a looooong travel day for you to make it in one go.  7 hours 50 minutes to go from London Heathrow to Toronto then 5 hours ten minutes to fly from Toronto to Vancouver.  Flights from Vancouver to Vancouver Island run about 40 minutes in length.  It would be worth it though.  🙂

Merry Christmas everyone. 

It’s Christmas afternoon here and we have had a lovely time with our family. 

We started last night ( Christmas Eve) with bbq beer butt ducks and Asian salad finishing with ice cream and a small drop of the balsamic we bought in Bologna. 

A funny combination but as it is very good balsamic it is thick and delicious. 

This morning we had a light breakfast of fresh fruit and yoghurt. Summer here so lots of stone fruit, mangos and cantaloupe. 

Lunch was a lobster salad, prawns and bugs done on the bbq. 

Tonight it is pork on the rotisserie and a glazed ham with roast vegetables. 

I don’t think we will need to eat for the next few days!!

I'm sorry, no photos. Will do better next time!

We have had a "few" drinks, aperol spritz, gin and tonics and of course some delicious wine. 

Life is good. 

JP, I hope you will blog as I always enjoy travelling along with you. 

We were in Patagonia in 2009 and did a blog. Here it is if you are interested, keeping in mind we are "older" and much less fit than you are. We have much less strenuous holidays than you!

http://thefletchers.com.au/The_Fletchers/South_America_2009/Entries/2009/2/16_A_DAY_TRIP!!.html

Chris will have a wonderful birthday. 

A Happy and Healthy 2019 to everyone.  I’m hoping to pull up a stool at the bar regularly. 

15 hours ago, mysty said:

Lots to consider DW!  It would a looooong travel day for you to make it in one go.  7 hours 50 minutes to go from London Heathrow to Toronto then 5 hours ten minutes to fly from Toronto to Vancouver.  Flights from Vancouver to Vancouver Island run about 40 minutes in length.  It would be worth it though.  🙂

‘It’s a 9 hr direct flight from Manchester to Vancouver with Air Transat. (Were very limited from Manchester) Flight scheduled to arrive at 12.55 and cruise leaves at 6. There’s a bit of leeway there but not much. We’re about 90 mins from Manchester. Still at the consideration stage but it’s a possible.

16 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

‘It’s a 9 hr direct flight from Manchester to Vancouver with Air Transat. (Were very limited from Manchester) Flight scheduled to arrive at 12.55 and cruise leaves at 6. There’s a bit of leeway there but not much. We’re about 90 mins from Manchester. Still at the consideration stage but it’s a possible.

That doesn't sound too onerous of a flight DW!  Does the trip head up to Alaska?  Have you been there before?  That is another spectacular spot!  And flying over the Rocky Mountains is a treat!

Thanks JillyF! Look forward to reading your blog to help whet my appetite for the trip. We looked at Explora but decided to go with Awasi, which has lodges in Atacama and Iguazu as well. Since we booked all three of them, they include hotel nights in Santiago and BA as needed - one night between each lodge. Makes for easier travel.

I will eventually blog about it for sure. I am in the process of moving my old TravelPod blogs to my new Blogger site. It's a slow process because the format is different, so I have to rearrange each post. But it's fun because I get to relive the memories as I go through each post in detail. So far I've done about half of my Madagascar blog.

Off to work in a few minutes. Here in Albany the skies are blue and clear, the sun is shining brightly, and there is a touch of snow on part of the ground. Hopefully work will not take too long and we can come back home and enjoy it a little more. Merry Christmas all!

1 hour ago, mysty said:

That doesn't sound too onerous of a flight DW!  Does the trip head up to Alaska?  Have you been there before?  That is another spectacular spot!  And flying over the Rocky Mountains is a treat!

‘That’s what I thought M.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/alaska-cruise/vancouver-to-vancouver-6913.html

I love the look of the helicopter ride to the dog sledding and the sea plane over the mysty fjords.

Hope it’s not a busy shift JP. Commiserations to all of us working today 😔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I love the look of the helicopter ride to the dog sledding and the sea plane over the mysty fjords.

Trip looks awesome DW!  I hope this works out well for you!  And I am loving the reference to "mysty" fjords.  🙂 

Good morning and wishing all of you a Very Merry Christmas. Hope all of you celebrate in whatever is the best way for you and your families.

I am just here watching tv and getting ready to toast a bagel and have my 2nd cup of java. 

4 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

A very merry Christmas to all in the cooler. Have a wonderful day.

YES, a very, very Merry Christmas to all at the Cooler.  Sorry to not been able to have dropped by here more recently.    

We just completed earlier this month our Jerusalem/Holy Lands, Egypt/Valley of the Kings, Petra/Jordan, Oman, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc., exploring.  To see the trip live/blog for this history and religious “adventure”, check out these postings linked below.  JP, Spins and others had earlier dropped by and posted on that thread.  We started in Athens, Greece on Nov. 14, then traveled to various locations connected with three of the world's major religions.  Many fun and interesting visuals on this live/blog!!  Below are just a few, quick visual samples, especially with today being Christmas and its religious importance for those of that faith.    Check it out and let me know any questions or comments.  On Christmas day, these recent visits in Bethlehem and Jerusalem are especially connected and meaningful.  To visit Bethlehem, you need to cross into the West Bank, controlled by the Palestinian Authority. 

Out in Kansas now for Christmas with my wife's family.  Spent a couple of fun days in Kansas City prior to arriving here.  Then, we will hook up with our son and two grandsons from Virginia. Busy holiday period!!

Connect to our latest exploring of the historic and scenic Middle East at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

In Bethlehem last month, we were at the Basilica of the Nativity and went down into the grotto under the main worship altar.  Very moving and meaningful!!  First is the main altar that is controlled and decorated in the Greek Orthodox style.  Second shows where we were able to see the Altar of the Nativity, beneath which is the star marking the spot where tradition says Jesus was born.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_7350.thumb.jpg.396fd44f5838bd70d252a00c6a085d09.jpg

1711008012_CMY_73433.jpg.9a030931ed943786ac853d549dbdc6de.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg