Packing binoculars in carry-on

Seavoyage

We just bought two moderate zoom lens pairs that come with eye cups, lens caps and carrying cases. We’ll simply put them in a safe spot in our carry on, probably with a sweater or travel blanket abutting and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't understand what the problem is. It is a carry on bag so by definition you are not going to be tossing the bag around or having a porter toss it around. Carry them in the case that the binocs came in or just put them in a cloth carry bag to protect the lenses.

Am I missing something?

DON

Thank you for the advice all...These are my favorite nocs Don and they work very well with my eyes for distance. We have a long flight and the carry on will have to go into the overhead bin. I'm just concerned about them (the lenses) getting jostled around and wanted advice from those with successful packing techniques and experience...the only problem would be trying to avoid one....thanks for your reply?

Great - thank you envirochick...was thinking that would do the trick - was even thinking about bubble wrap but don't want to take up the room....I would never travel with these but really want them for Alaska - especially in the hopes of spotting a bear or a whale from the ship....

We just bought two moderate zoom lens pairs that come with eye cups, lens caps and carrying cases. We’ll simply put them in a safe spot in our carry on, probably with a sweater or travel blanket abutting and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the advice all...These are my favorite nocs Don and they work very well with my eyes for distance. We have a long flight and the carry on will have to go into the overhead bin. I'm just concerned about them (the lenses) getting jostled around and wanted advice from those with successful packing techniques and experience...the only problem would be trying to avoid one....thanks for your reply?

I wouldn't worry. If you are cruising to Alaska and have that much spare room in your carryon that your binocs will jostle around, you're not doing something right, LOL!

Thanks Laurabegorra - any suggestions you have used - was thinking about a back up pair...thank you . :D

Check out this site - https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide. I go w the pro recommendations whenever I buy optics. None of us on CC have the technical smarts to properly evaluate any purchase of optical equipment.

DON

I wouldn't worry. If you are cruising to Alaska and have that much spare room in your carryon that your binocs will jostle around, you're not doing something right, LOL!

yeah, I change my answer to this! lol

And, I actually ended up with a full sized pair from amazon (that will be going into my checked bag), so I can't really speak to any of the smaller, travel sized ones - but I did see more than a few when I searched "binoculars". It's all about finding some with good reviews, and better yet pictures!

My birdwatcher husband as a numerous of pairs of binoculars. He packs his favorite and most expensive Zeiss binoculars (in their case) in a travel backpack. This backpack has some padded dividers. The backpack goes in to the overhead bin on aircraft and he has not had any problems.

I don't understand what the problem is. It is a carry on bag so by definition you are not going to be tossing the bag around or having a porter toss it around. Carry them in the case that the binocs came in or just put them in a cloth carry bag to protect the lenses.

Am I missing something?

DON

I have very good binoculars .I bring them in their own case.

We often carry our Steiner 10x42 and Nikon 7x35 without case to save space in a backpack carry-on. It's padded fairly well and also carries some camera gear. If you'll be storing in a hardside carry-on, I would suggest wrapping in some clothing stuff. Most binoculars are amazingly stout and should not get damaged in any way inside a carry-on unless packed loosely with several bottles of wine and rocks picked up on the roadside;)