DIY Train Port to Rome for 9:30am Tour - can we make it?

mousecrazy

Hi

I've done similar when visiting Rome. I'd suggest booking the train tickets on line as that will save time at Civitavecchia station. It's a bit of a trek to get from the ship to the station now that the port bus takes you to a different exit further from the train station. But there is plenty of info on that in this subforum.

Good luck

1. Don't count on being able to leave the ship at 6am.

2. You'll probably have to take a port shuttle bus from where your ship docks to the port exit. (Which may not start running at 6:00 and/or may take some time to fill up.)

3. From this point you have a 20 minute (or more) walk to the train station.

4. Allow time to purchase tickets

5. Do you know exactly how to get to the tour start point? If not, allow extra time.

As you can see above, there are a lot of variables. Chances are you should make the train, if everything goes to plan or only a minor hiccup.

Where does your tour start?

The last time we were on the train from the port to Rome, our train had to pull over on a side track to allow a train going in the opposite direction to pass. It certainly put us behind schedule and we sat on the side track for about half an hour.

Barb

1. Don't count on being able to leave the ship at 6am.

Yes, but 6:30 am is doable. And the train is not until 7:44 am.

2. You'll probably have to take a port shuttle bus from where your ship docks to the port exit. (Which may not start running at 6:00 and/or may take some time to fill up.)

Only if they dock at 25. If they dock at 10 to 13 you can walk right off the ship. And it´s 20 min from there too.

3. From this point you have a 20 minute (or more) walk to the train station.

Again, only if they dock at 25.

4. Allow time to purchase tickets

Shouldn´t be much of a problem at that time of the day. Still plenty of time between 6:30 am and 7:44 am.

5. Do you know exactly how to get to the tour start point? If not, allow extra time.

The OP mentioned it´s 20 min from Roma Termini. ;)

As you can see above, there are a lot of variables. Chances are you should make the train, if everything goes to plan or only a minor hiccup.

Where does your tour start?

Check the title of the thread - 9:30 am.

I´d say doable if nothing goes wrong. Would I do it - no.

steamboats

I´d say doable if nothing goes wrong. Would I do it - no.

steamboats

OP doesn't say they are getting off at Termini or elsewhere, and sometimes estimates of walking distances (e.g., from Google Maps) can be very underestimated, especially if the OP isn't sure of exactly where to go.

Also, you'll note that I asked WHERE the tour starts. Not WHEN.

Just trying to provide reasons why OP needs to build in extra time....

Thank you for the very helpful information. The meeting point is Via di Santa Eufemia 15 (Segway Tour Office). Their website says 25 minutes walking time and gives very specific, detailed directions.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/how-get-port-civitavecchia-definitive-guide says the Epic will dock at 12BIS(N)...so we will be able to walk right off the ship and get started walking to the train station, no? For a 20 minute walk, correct?

This is looking like it's pretty doable and fairly low risk.

Thanks again!

I haven't done it, but it's my understanding that the 15 to 20 minute walk to the station is from the place where the shuttle now drops people (Largo della Pace, or something like that). I'd add a little more time to get from the ship to the train station, although I did NOT look to see where the actual berth is. Also, occasionally a port will change the berth, and your walk may end up a little longer or shorter.

One thing I'm hoping to try in my upcoming travels is the citymapper app for navigating in cities. I don't know if you have to have Wifi turned on, though, when in those cities. I always have trouble navigating, so I need all the help I can get.

Guess you might already know there's a bus you can take for 2 euros from the shuttle location (Largo della Pace) to Civi train station. However, I would just walk, given how early it will be (bus not running yet?), and how up for walking you appear to be. It sounds to me like you'll make it.

If your ship docks at 6am (exactly on time) you should be able to get off around 6:30. It is unlikely you can walk to the train station in 20 minutes unless you are a runner :). Most of the US owned ships dock at a pier area that is located a long distance from the old Port entrance (the one closest to the train station. It can easily take more then 20 minutes to just get out of the port....plus another 10 min to the station....plus a few minutes to purchase your train ticket. The rest of your plan sounds doable...but we would suggest allowing at least 40 min from ship to train station (if walking). Just being 2 ship lengths further down the pier adds nearly 1/2 mile to your trek!

I suspect that the directions the tour operator gave you are from Termini, which actually will waste time for you.

If your ship does pull in to 12B you can walk to the station. I would assume a half hour walk.

If you buy the BIRG ticket, and you should, it will cover the entire day.

To be most direct you would take a train to the Roma Trastevere station. It takes one hour from Civitavecchia and there are plenty of trains in the morning (7:02, 7:18, 7:44 and 7:58).

At Trastevere you can get the #8 tram toward Venezia. The end of the line is 400 meters from your meeting place.

Thank you euro cruiser for the good information! My plan will be to walk from the ship just as soon as it is cleared and head for the train station. It appears the port shuttles and city buses don't start service until approx. 7am. We will buy BIRG tickets and take the train to the Roma Trastevere station. Then the #8 tram toward Venezia to the end.

Sounds like a wonderful adventure to me! Thank you for helping me figure it out.

It´s a 20 min walk from Largo della Pace. But Largo della Pace is farther Noth than the 12bis dock. It´s also app. 20 min from 12bis to the train station. Been there done that - both walking parts. I do a lot of walking so I might be fast. Add 5 or 10 min to be on the safe side. But it´s a bit shorter from 12bis than from Largo della Pace.

steamboats

We will buy BIRG tickets and take the train to the Roma Trastevere station. Then the #8 tram toward Venezia to the end.

One additional note, since you'll have the BIRG ticket you can go right from the train to the tram. There are two tram lines at Roma Trastevere, you want the one in the street (Viale Trastevere), not the one in the piazza/parking lot in front of the station. Walk through the lot to the street, cross to the stop in the middle of the street at the crosswalk and get the #8 there (only #8s stop here).